PDA

View Full Version : Tip for Patch Use... Normalize your installation..

JG14_Jagr
05-05-2011, 04:16 AM
I was helping someone get their setup running because they posted that it was just aweful and they had a lot of my exact hardware. While going over the installation I asked him to set his CCC (ATI) to defaults.. I don't know what his settings were before that but he said he had been tweaking everything trying to help as the game has been patched. When he went back to default he got huge improvements in all areas, fps, stuttering etc. Then we went through his conf.ini in the user section and he had changed a ton of settings, many of which he had no idea what they did or didn't do,.. again, he was trying to see if he could fix things when it wasn't working. We nuked the conf.ini and got it basically back to default installation plus the new BETA patch with basically default graphics driver settings and shockingly, the game ran very well..

It got me wondering how many other people have been trying various settings and programs to force certain graphics issues... Might be a good time to try the Vanilla version of everything and see what you have then tweak cautiously..

Flanker35M
05-05-2011, 06:47 AM
S!

And also one thing would be to use Steam to make the game run as last official patch version before applying the Beta along with the steps you mentioned.

BigPickle
05-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Hmmm will test this now and report back, thanks for the info S!

Rattlehead
05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Then we went through his conf.ini in the user section and he had changed a ton of settings, many of which he had no idea what they did or didn't do.

I was lying awake last night trying to figure out why there is such a disconnect between what's happening on the development end and what's happening on our end, and especially why people with similar hardware can have such wildly different results.

I think you have nailed much of the problem here. There is no way for the developers to know what config files people have changed.
It doesn't neccessarily excuse everything that's not working of course, but it sounds likely that at least part of the problem is what people are doing to their files.

BigPickle
05-05-2011, 10:11 AM
nope it changes nothing for me, infact reverting to a default conf.ini and reseting my CCC to default has increased stutters, gonna test back on my customised settings for CCC and conf.ini.

@ Rattlehead - sadly while i initially thought the same and that it made sense i later realised that i was wrong because if you take the beta and launch into supposed proper full screen and launch a mission, straight away it flicks to desktop again. There is no way you can miss it. I think Luither maybe doesnt see the betas? cos he would spot that, anyone could spot that, why would they leave a sudeo fullscreen on? that is random, if they thought they had fixed proper screen surely they would remove the parts that are not working correctly and leave two versions windowed and full.
Seems like 'knew it wasnt working' again, so we left an option in that sort of worked to keep playability.
This is depressing :(

I hope they take this holiday now and go get some rest and then come back in a few weeks refreshed and rested cos they seem to need it as now they are just introducing more problems because they are rushing for the US Deadline i guess.

Rattlehead
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
This is depressing :(

Tell me about it.
Looks like we'll see beta patch #4 at some point. (But I agree a rest is probably better first)

If this damn fullcreen mode had a neck I would strangle it myself.

Blackdog_kt
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
The only thing i changed was setting the proccessaffinitymask setting. I tweaked my GPU settings too at some point but i always reverted everything to default after exiting the sim. My results are similar to the OP's, i sat and waited for the patches and now the sim runs fine for me on a two year old PC:

i7 920 @ 2.7 Ghz
Asus P6T motherboard
3GB of DDR3 RAM in triple channel (yes, just three)
Ati 4890 1GB

I run it at 1680x1050
model detail, effects, damage decals and land shading high
building detail low
SSAO off
Vsync, roads, shadows and grass on
the rest on medium

After the last beta patch i actually capped my framerate (it's limited to 60 FPS because i use Vsync on a 60Hz monitor) for the first time. Super smooth, barely a bit of loading here and there but it recovers so fast that it's perfectly playable (ie, it doesn't pause long enough to stutter, it might just skip a frame or two when first loading a certain effect or texture when i'm in zoomed view).

My issue was my GPU wasn't clocking to full speeds, the latest beta patch fixed this for me.

As a a routine, i delete the contents of the cache folder after applying each patch and go fly. Each and every single patch, beta or not, has been an improvement over the previous one on my system. I was getting 15 FPS over water when i first installed the sim back in April, now i'm getting 40-60 with a bunch of aircraft flying and shooting.

BigPickle
05-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Glad your having some luck mate :), although personally i think its because you have a top gaming rig ran by an I7 and a reasonably hefty GPU, rather than game settings. Game settings should break a game.

Derinahon
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I definitely found a clean install of the game before adding the beta really helped fps and stuttering. Also, strangely, overclocking my processor helped with the stuttering. I say it's strange because the game doesn't tax my processor at all :s

IMO luthier should instruct everyone to reinstall before applying any beta patch. This will bring at least some continuity.

Buchon
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I definitely found a clean install of the game before adding the beta really helped fps and stuttering. Also, strangely, overclocking my processor helped with the stuttering. I say it's strange because the game doesn't tax my processor at all :s

IMO luthier should instruct everyone to reinstall before applying any beta patch. This will bring at least some continuity.

The charge of threads is one thing and the speed which they are resolved are other thing.

High speed resolving threads is allways an overall improvement, it push the GPU.

Remo
05-05-2011, 06:36 PM
This is a little cmd script I user to run the game from ram disk and applying the current beta patch

START =====>>>>>

REM You must run this as SystemAdministrator...
REM make 8 Gb ram disk , you better have more than 8Gb system ram, and no real drive at driver letter H:
REM min space required is 5Gb , so if you have 8Gb System ram , make this 5Gb and you still have 3Gb for game.
REM you can download ImDisk from http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk
pause
imdisk -a -s 8G -t vm -m H: -o hd

REM format the newly created Ram disk to NTFS , you better have mounted your ram disk on driver letter H:
format H: /A:32K /FS:NTFS /Q /V:il-2 /X

REM make the direcotry where we will copy the il2 steam game directory
mkdir H:\"il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

REM about to copy IL2 to ram disk , if your steam installed it somewhere else change this
pause
xcopy "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "H:\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" /E /Q /H /R /K /O /X /Y /J

REM about to copy Patch from C:\Users\%USER%\IL-2-patch to ram disk , change C:\Users\%USER%\IL-2-patch to where you copied your patch
pause
xcopy "C:\Users\%USER%\IL-2-patch" "H:\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" /E /Q /H /R /K /O /X /Y /J

REM about to rename original il2 dir
pause
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\
move "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - orig"

REM about to link IL2 from ramdisk
pause
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "H:\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

REM If all went well , you can now play IL2, remember to delete the link and rename the
REM il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - orig
REM back to
REM il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
REM when you are done playing the game.
pause

END =====>

This help to keep the game in the current STEAM state . but I can play any of the patches I want ..