PDA

View Full Version : Mapping mouse to gunners

Cdr84
04-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Is there any way to map the gunner positions to the mouse axis as in the old IL-2?

Thx,

Cdr

skouras
04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
good question
i wanna know:-)

Blackdog_kt
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Most of them work with the mouse already. In many aircraft you first have to set the turret/gun from the parked/cruise position to the firing position (i think the default command is ctrl+O), then you can move it.

In order to move the gun with the mouse, the clickable cockpit/mouse cursor needs to be disabled (default key to toggle the mouse cursor on/off is F10). Also, you can use the shift+F1 view on guns too now, making it easier to align the sights properly and aim.

That being said, there are some turrets that are behaving a bit weird. For example, the top turret on the Br.20 works with the mouse but the axis are reversed. I haven't tested the blehnheim's turret for a long time (first time i tried it i didn't know all this yet so i couldn't make it work), but i think i've heard of it having a similar bug or using different controls.

On the matter of different controls, there are turrets that make use of extra commands, for example the rear gun on the Stuka and the top gun on the He-111. In these gunner positions you don't just move the gun, you can also move or rotate the gun mount to change your arc of fire (i think the default keys for that are the arrow keys).

So, if you just jumped in a turret/gunner position that you're not familiar with, this is how you can work it out:
1) If it's enabled, disable the clickable pit/mouse cursor by pressing F10 and move the mouse. Does the gun move? If not, press ctrl+O.
2) Move the mouse again, does the gun/turret move? If yes, press the arrow keys to see if the mount is also movable.
3) If the gun/turret still refuses to move with the mouse, it might be that the controls are mis-matched, try using the arrow keys.

This is probably a case of how turrets are assigned in the game's engine. If a turret is assigned as a "gun position" it will default to mouse control, if it's assigned a "gun+mount position" status then it's mouse for the gun and arrow keys for the mount, but if it's only assigned as a "gun mount position" this could make it default to using the arrow keys. The problem with this is that while it's fine for altering firing arcs in a mouse-movable gun, it's not precise enough to actually aim the gun with if you are using powered turret.

This should probably help get you started and testing in-game, cheers :grin:

Cdr84
04-29-2011, 06:53 PM
The mouse does work as Blackdog_kt stated, except for the Blenheim which I can't seem to get to work at all.

The Pitch is reversed tho.

In the confUser.ini we have this;

[Config turretMove]
turretyaw=0.5 0 0
turretpitch=0.5 0 0

Any ideas how to reverse the pitch?

Cdr

AARPRazorbacks
05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
IMO when you go to the gunner your joy stick is what shoud be used.

flyer01

Blackdog_kt
05-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I figured out the Blenheim. First, if the following method doesn't work press control+O to set the turret from the low drag cruise position to the firing position (i don't remember if it needs this step, but if the turret is unmovable that's your best bet).

Then, there are two controls to use. Disable the mouse cursor (default key is F10) to move the gun around and go to shift+F1 view to look down the sights. The gun moves up/down but it has a very limited amount of left/right travel in relation to the turret, so you have to move the entire turret left/right. This is done by mapping keys to move the gun mount, similar to the Stuka and the top turret in the He111.

I use the arrow keys for that, so pressing the left/right arrows rotates the turret and using the mouse moves the gun inside the (severely confined) range allowed by the turret's gun mount.

KG26_Alpha
05-03-2011, 03:45 PM
IMO when you go to the gunner your joy stick is what shoud be used.

flyer01

No good for flying backwards and using the tail gunner at the same time though.