PDA

View Full Version : Best units early game

ledroc
04-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone. Having been a long time HOMM fan, I saw this game on Amazon and bought it on a whim. Wow, it's great. I love the graphics and the fight mechanics. I chose the Paladin class and I have cleared the first island. My main character and dragon are level 5.

I chose the mystic egg dragon but I find I am using the treasure finding + crushing blow a lot more than the egg.

Anyway, I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of possible troops you can recruit so I am looking for some advice on what I should combine.

My leadership is right around 1000 and I have a few griffins, vampires, snakes, devilfish and marauders. My reserves are priests and inquisitors.

For a while I was stacking up the archers and swordsman from the first castle but those ran out.

I have now moved onto the second island and I'm finding it much harder.

I took the glory talent combined with both the order and distortion magic talents. I copied about 10 scrolls into my spellbook

Thanks

Svidler
04-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi,
Once you've played it thru you will begin to know where what units are. In this case I would replace vampires and griffins for this reason. You will most likely not find more for quite a while. I'm guessing you are using devilfishes and marauders because of the bonus that Jimmy Kraud gives them? In my opionion both are quite crappy. A solid set-up for the first 3 islands or so is for me often inquisitors, royal snakes, royal thorns, priests and perhaps bowmen. This helps you to get some achievements faster too. (burning, poison etc)Keep searching them treasures and with a little luck you'll get the wandererspell call colossus for a random level 5 unit! Once you discover continent of verona you will
get alot more fun choices of units. Anyways. Those units mentioned you will be able to buy almost unlimited. Except the royal thorns though. You will find only 4 I think but even if your leadership allows like 7 eventually they are probably still worth keeping until you find a level 4-5 unit. Anyways, this is just a nice way to start out. Its not optimal but it would allow you to keep the same sound army from level 1 to 10 I'd say. Have fun playing, I know it's awesome!:grin:

Akimbo
05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello everyone. Having been a long time HOMM fan, I saw this game on Amazon and bought it on a whim. Wow, it's great. I love the graphics and the fight mechanics. I chose the Paladin class and I have cleared the first island. My main character and dragon are level 5.

I chose the mystic egg dragon but I find I am using the treasure finding + crushing blow a lot more than the egg.

Anyway, I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of possible troops you can recruit so I am looking for some advice on what I should combine.

My leadership is right around 1000 and I have a few griffins, vampires, snakes, devilfish and marauders. My reserves are priests and inquisitors.

For a while I was stacking up the archers and swordsman from the first castle but those ran out.

I have now moved onto the second island and I'm finding it much harder.

I took the glory talent combined with both the order and distortion magic talents. I copied about 10 scrolls into my spellbook

Thanks

Search around for some of the "zero loss" threads and suck up all the info on units and tactics from those. The units you can get are partly randomised every game, so you can't always be sure you'll get what you want, however they'll usually turn up eventually.

Early on I generally look for:

Paladins,
Royal Snakes,
Royal Thorns,

It takes some practice, but you can usually steal the maps from an island without getting into a fight, then sail the coast of the later islands (avoiding fights) and try to pick up some dragons or other powerful units early in the game, such as trolls or cyclops.

Edit: Useful links!

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16310

and

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=12085

Razorflame
05-05-2011, 01:28 PM
any level 4-5 unit is good on first 3 islands;-)

just get quick leadership and dig for call collosus
a level 5 unit rapes debir :D