PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind landing and propwash tests

TUCKIE_JG52
04-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Well, here goes my first tests in CoD while trying to land under strong crosswind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMDBf6DUwE

I've placed an IA to wee what he does, in several tests he landa for the runway that has less crosswind component. Smart guy, uses correctly the crabbing technique, better than me, but his decrabs are tending to crash land the plane since de does not correct the last moment sink.

Landing after him, but with the runway that had more crosswind, I cheched some things:

-Anemometer had an instrument error (not bug, I think that's a real measurement error, caused by some lateral coomponent in advance), The fact is that a stall speed of an E-3 is about 125km/h... and IAS indication was 95 km/h only!

-Decrabbing a 109 under these conditions is extremely difficult, I understand IA's difficulties ;)

-Once stopped on the ground, I was satisfied to chech that, as a good taildragger, the plane tends to face the wind.

-Maybe 30 m/s is a crosswind outside plane specifications, but it is almost impossible to taxi to a desired parking.

-Same for the fact that braks are inefective, and plane goes backwards when faced to wind.

-In the last ground test, wind acts as it should do the propwash, but (and I don't recorded this, soory got no diskspace left), if you stop the engine, the controls are still effective just by the action of the wind, son there's no propwash modelled!

-In general, that was a very challenging test, try it!

PS: reposted this here, in the correct sub-forum, sorry.

Sternjaeger II
04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
now that's the kind of tests that I like! :cool:

30 m/s is some 108 km/h!! The 10 m/s wind is already quite an extreme weather condition for flying in a taildragger, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Check out this 109 video with the pilot (who has two HUGE balls!) crabbing into landing on a terrible airstrip and with a light crosswind component

(from minute 1.03)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nj77mJlzrc

as for your landing technique, there are a couple of things that you might want to refine. In a crosswind landing you always want to keep the wing in the wind down to avoid being toppled, and when flaring you still need to align the plane with the runway. Uh and don't forget to lock the tailwheel!

TUCKIE_JG52
04-21-2011, 08:31 AM
as for your landing technique, there are a couple of things that you might want to refine. In a crosswind landing you always want to keep the wing in the wind down to avoid being toppled, and when flaring you still need to align the plane with the runway. Uh and don't forget to lock the tailwheel!

I know I know... but just failed to do so in the last moment... I have so little time that I don't repeat tests until I perform fine... ;)

But it's always welcome to remember the correct procedure, thanks :)

Sternjaeger II
04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
hehehe no worries, I didn't mean to be patronising! :)

But yes please, keep on delivering these kind of tests, that's what I really like about these sims, an intelligent testing of the flight and damage models.

It would be interesting to see if the Tiger Moth actually stays airborne and hovers with strong winds or raises its tail.

DC338
04-21-2011, 10:52 PM
30m/s (approx 60 kts) xwind is outside limits for a A380/747/777 so it's just a little outside the limits of a 109. about 8-9m/s would be the limit.

You should try less flap to minimise the drift.