PDA

View Full Version : Questions over questions.

scorpac
04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Hey all, i got a few questions about things... would be nice if you could answer me.

1. What is the Boost Cut-Out for?
2. What is the slow running Cut-Out for?
3. What does the Impeller make? What is an Impeller?
4. What does the engine Compressor make? And which aircraft has one? Since i cant use it on any plane...
5. What does the Carburettor Heat make and whats its Effect?

thats just the major questions for now...

thanks for answering :)

W32Blaster
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
2. What is the slow running Cut-Out for?
3. What does the Impeller make? What is an Impeller?
4. What does the engine Compressor make? And which aircraft has one? Since i cant use it on any plane...
5. What does the Carburettor Heat make and whats its Effect?

5 When caburator is very cold, i.e. when flying in high altitude and plane is descending through moist air the carburator intake will suffer from icing.
Carburator heating prevents parts of carburator being coated with ice and therfore prevents malfunction of mixture being provided.

4 Engine compressor provides compressed air to the engines intake. This way more oxygen is delivered into the cylinder. More gasoline can be used to mix explosive gas. More power can be produced. Especially interesting with thinner air at higher altitudes

Artist
04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Read this post (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=266145&postcount=11): Section 1 and the footnote...

scorpac
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
4 Engine compressor provides compressed air to the engines intake. This way more oxygen is delivered into the cylinder. More gasoline can be used to mix explosive gas. More power can be produced. Especially interesting with thinner air at higher altitudes

and which planes have an compressor in CoD? if i try to hit the button to activate it i dont get any message, neither the instruments change in any way.

JG53Frankyboy
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
every plane in CoD has a supercharger ;) (ok, the Moth most propably not ?! ;) )

but just few have to be shifted manually :
Ju88 (should have automatic !!)
Ju87 (actually should have an automatic setting and a low blower setting that would force the use of the low altitude setting at higher heights to increase range)
He111H
He111P (actually only showes the controles, but there is nothing to shift as its DB601 is automatic ;) )

thats it IIRC...

kingpinda
04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I read in the patch notes i think or release notes or wherever that the impeller was something that stumped all the beta testers.

it is a propeller kinda thing on the side of an italian plane which you can use to act as a dynamo generator if i'm not mistaken. In any case its not something you will most probably have to use.

Edit I read this in the manual I think. You guys know this game has a manual right? just dig in your steam folder till you get to the cliffs of dover directory. there you will find the manual

Viper2000
04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
The issue here is translating Olegese into English to work out what all of the terms actually are.

For example, as kingpinda says, the "impeller" appears to be what most people would call a Ram Air Turbine (RAT).

There is also quite a lot of control functionality built into the sim which is aimed at future expansion (e.g. controls for up to 8 engines).

The boost control cutout changes the functionality of the automatic boost control unit. Will allow access to combat power in conjunction with 100 octane fuel. Discussed in detail here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=266145&postcount=11).

The slow running cutout is fitted to cut fuel flow to the carburettor for engine shutdown. It is required for aircraft fitted with automatic carburettors because normal mixture control can't lean the mixture beyond the AUTO LEAN setting.

Carburettor heat is there to prevent icing up of the throttle valve & carburettor venturi when operating at low power. Many larger engines don't need it (for example, the Merlin's carburettor is automatically protected from icing because the throttle was oil heated and the chokes were water jacketed.

The German engines don't have carburettors in the first place.

Engine compressor is a strange one. It might be meant to refer to an auxiliary cabin blower or perhaps to a compressor for a pneumatic system*. I don't think it refers to the supercharger because there are entirely separate controls in the control list for superchargers (one per engine in fact).

*IIRC the Su26 uses compressed air to start its engine. The compressed air is stored in a bottle, and there is a compressor on the engine to refill the bottle during the flight ready for the next start. So it could just be for that...