PDA

View Full Version : Which Joystick would you recommend?

stiler
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Sure this has been asked quite a bit already.

Back when I played IL-2 I had a microsoft sidewinder FFB1, it worked great for me. However with windows 7 it doesn't really work well (nor the FFB) because of the lack of supported drivers and things.

So I recently got rise of flight to tide me over til CoD is out here in the states and I REALLY am going to have to get a joystick for both games, just no question about it.

I was looking around searching for them. I'd like to get a FFB that works under Win7, but it seems that there's not any that really competes in terms of the price that the sidewinder was. All of the current ones that offer it are pretty expensive.

So scratching that I was first looking at Saitek's x52, but heard a lot of people complain that the precison was off a bit in the middle and the quality is a bit lacking.

Then comes the two i'm stuck at right now. The CH Fighterstick, and the TM Cougar.

Which one of these would you suggest? I heard something about needing to mod cougars or do something? don't really have the time or patience for it, are they not good out of the box?

CH seems to be good quality (lot of people saying they last forever without breaking/problems) but the design looks a little old, but I don't care if it's a good stick and works fine with everything.

So, can't decide lol.

b101uk
04-18-2011, 09:16 PM
look on ebay for a good used "Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 USB"

CBA_Bludawg
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
i use Mircosoft FFB2 and love it had it since 2000 in my days of CFS and IL2 works fine on Win7 64, But i did just buy the x52 just waiting for it to get here and i can give you feedback on it by the weekend.

123-Wulf-123
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
CH all the way, work straight out of the box, precise accurate and SMOOTH control, virtually indestructible , built like brick outhouses, (CH make all sorts of military control systems for weapons manufacturers and it shows in the engineering of these controllers).
I have had all 3 Fighterstick-Pro-Throttle-Pro-Pedals for over eight years and they have never missed a beat and are as smooth and accurate now as the day they were taken out of the box, HIGHLY reccomended. :-)

They'll still be going strong when all the Saitek/Logitech/Thrustmaster stuff is in land-fill ;)

MS FFB2 is a good buy too....just watch for faulty switches (weak point).

tf_neuro
04-19-2011, 02:13 AM
CH fighterstick
(with modified springs as explained here (http://fusionpack.net/bogus/sticktension.html))

battguano
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I still haven't gotten a joystick to work. Neither my Logitech nor Saitek will function. I have updated software, disabled the HID option in control panel, unplugged, replugged, etc, etc....Does anyone have the same problem??

123-Wulf-123
04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Disable ALL the HID options(for the keyboard), you must remove any virtual device drivers, for my keyboard alone there were maybe 4 or 5 that I needed to disable.

battguano
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I have 6 HID interfaces, two each for my throttle, pedals, stick; there was nothing for the k/b.... :(

123-Wulf-123
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
This only refers to Saitek Gaming keyboard drivers....not your controller drivers.
The common factor for people was they all had Saitek Gaming Keyboards.

rcafmad
04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I have a Saitek AV8R-01 Joystick. Will the "Cliffs of Dover" allow me to set up it up? Can it be set up like CFS2,CFS3.

What I am asking is it "Joystick Friendly?"

skouras
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM
i had a Saitek x52
after that for 6 years a cougar
and now waiting for warthog
my favourite was the cougar
i dont know about the warthog cause i don't really test it so far
but i bet it would be SOMETHING:-)
Also i had the chance to fly with a LOGITECH G940
with the rudders but i dont recommend that
you cannot find many latest drivers and the dead zones its a little triky

phil759
04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I have the X52 with seperate throttle control and it works well in the game. have setup all the buttons for different commands now and then work okay, just trying to remember which one does what at the moment!!!

SEE
04-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I have both X52 models. Using the SST programming software allows you to add decriptions to your stick assignments and these will show up in your display screen. The only exception to this is the the standard model where POV assignment descriptors do not display. X52 are better performers with the magnet mod. The two rotarys and slider are useful for Trimming and Rad control.

Ydinsieni
04-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Got the Warthog but haven't tested it yet because I'am moving soon.
Must get pedals too because they required with warthog :rolleyes:

Still haven't decided wich pedals I get. Any suggestions?

JumpingHubert
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
get an old hotas cougar from ebay for 106 Euro, modified it with 20cm extension and better potentiometers (conrad electronic, 3 Euro per pot (20 times better than the originals)). I use gas/brake from logitec racing wheel as rudders. Works fine!