PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire rudder

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I have the impression that the rudder of the spit is not very effective. Obviously at higher speeds and higher altitudes it is supposed to get less effective but I found that it almost gets ineffective then and it is not much effective at lower speeds and on ground.

Is this realistic? Just asking.

P.S.: The rudder of the 109 works fine for me so it is not a hardware or control stuff for me.

kingpinda
04-19-2011, 03:07 AM
I have the impression that the rudder of the spit is not very effective. Obviously at higher speeds and higher altitudes it is supposed to get less effective but I found that it almost gets ineffective then and it is not much effective at lower speeds and on ground.

Is this realistic? Just asking.

P.S.: The rudder of the 109 works fine for me so it is not a hardware or control stuff for me.

I havent tried after the patch yet but before I felt it was fine.

While taxxing you need to use the hydraulic brake system. ie. bind a joystick key to the Wheel brake (not left or right) then when you want to turn on the ground hold the brake key throttle up and push in the right or left rudder depending which way you want to turn. If pedals are centered equal amount of brake power is given. push right pedal and more power goes to right brake and you then turn to the right.

Before take off trim a little right rudder in.

The rudder is meant for flying straight and stabilized. In the air you neednt much to do with it other than step on the ball. (keeping the slip ball in the middle) or give a little left rudder to make a controlled left turn. Some maneuvers offcourse require some more harsh rudder input. For instance the hammer head where you go vertical up and just before stall speed you kick rudder full in the direction in which your prop is turning so you can flip over and dive straight down again to hopefully shoot the plane who foolishly followed you and is now stalled.

or for barrel rolls etc.

For me in release and after the first patch the spit rudder felt realist. Although I must confess: I have never flown a real spitfire :)