PDA

View Full Version : Revi Sight of 109 and TrackIR - proposed solution

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I currently familiarize myself with the 109 and we all know that the revi sight of the 109 is a bit peculiar as being not centred like in almost any other fighter.

I think in RL this did not pose much of a problem - or they would have changed it back then.

But it does pose some problems for us virtual pilots as we do work a bit different with the environment provided.

I for instance use TrackIR which really does help a lot for looking around. And it does not hinder much at aiming even with not using shift+F1 for sights mounted on a central position.

However it poses a problem with sight positions off the centre. When sitting centred and looking to the centre screen and my head slightly moves it doesn't impact a lot the virtual pilot head position as the TrackIR curve gradient is quite small. So when moving my head slightly off the centred position in real it only moves very little in the virtual world.

Now when I seat myself a bit off centred to gaze through the 109 revi sight the TrackIR curve gradient is strongly increased so that small real life head movements result in comparatively big virtual head movements.

Now I do need the different TrackIR curve gradients for sideway movements in order to be able to use the full extent of virtual sideway movement within the possibilities of the TrackIR camera.

Here a little drawing in order to illustrate the problem, Please note that the TrackIR curves set the speed (!) for virtual head displacement and not virtual displacement.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1432/trackirrevi109problem.jpg

Unfortunately the "gun sight" mode offered by shift+f1 by the game is not at all helpfull as it limits the view too much. But today it is almost mandatory for the 109 compared to planes with centred sights for which it is not this necessary.

Now I think it makes aiming unrealistically much more difficult for this kind of planes.

My suggestion: allow to "recentre" around the gun sight for the bf109 with button push but keeping of course the head shake or perhaps even increasing it a little bit for the bf109. Perhaps require the 109 pilots to keep the button pushed in order to stay in this sideway position. This would imho represent approximately the difficulty in aiming from a sideway position while circumventing the TrackIR issue.

335th_GRAthos
04-17-2011, 12:41 PM
In all honesty, the old IL2 had it, and it was a good solution, you could have full movement of your head while in "gunsight mode" you could see slightly better to the rear right from that position and this was good because not all of us had TrackIR+6DOF.

Bewolf
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Agreed, looking around and then getting that Revi in center position in a split second, absolutely necessary in close in dogfights, is a bit of a choir. I missed a couple good firing solutions due to having to find the center of the Cross-hair. It also is very hard to keep centered even in normal flight because it has a very very small margin of error there compared to other planes.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't mind that it is shaking and shifting as an approximation of varying g load.

For non centred sights the difficulty is bigger than for centred sights because of available computer hardware (TrackIR displacement speed curves). This should be taken into account and find a way to disconnect the position of sight and TrackIR behaviour.

But PLEASE keep the shake. The steady aim of the old IL2 was arcade and unrealistic. I DO like the shake and the difficulty arising from it. I am quite sure that is how it was. It WAS difficult to shoot at planes and this is very very well represented by COD. PLEASE DON'T change a yota for the sight.

It is only this TrackIR thing wrt off-centre sights. I proposed a solution that imho could represent not too badly the difficulties with an off centre sight without having the hardware issue.

CharveL
04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Try Adding a second deadzone or just a slight detente of one at the appropriate spot along the X axis (not yaw). Just enough to hold steady when shifted over a bit.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I would have to do this for all 6 axis as the speed gradient is for all of them. And as I wrote I need the gradients as they are. That what you propose is not very practical also as I would have to strongly reduce the gradient between both deadzones in order to not have abrupt jumps and this would make TrackIR quite useless.

I think the solution I propose is quite easy to implement and still be fidel to reality as far as possible. Up to now because of the TrackIR thing aiming with 109 is unrealistically far(!) too difficult compared to centre sights.

CharveL
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
I've only flown the 109 a couple times so far but haven't had any issues aiming with my profile but I'll try it again today and check it out.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
04-17-2011, 03:33 PM
But try to aim with the sight, not the tracers.

xnomad
04-18-2011, 01:03 AM
I've had no problem with TIR5 in the 109 I just use the TIR default 'smooth' profile. It seems fine to me. Do you not have 6DOF? Just a tiny shift to the right with your shoulder and you are in Revi mode. I would imagine without 6DOF this would be a big problem.

I agree the 'loosen shoulder straps' button is useless. I don't use it at all and just use 6DOF lean in to zoom. I have the FOV settings on my joystick hat if I need to zoom in some more.

The only issue I have with TIR in COD is that after some vigorous manoeuvring I have to re-centre TIR, but that happens in every plane. This didn't happen in the 6DOF mod for 1946, but there is a lot more head bobbing in COD, which is good as the harder it is to aim in violent manoeuvres the more realistic it is.

The real issue is that apparently the Revi cross hair isn't aligned properly with the bore. Some guy on the SimHQ forums posted a screenshot of the Wonder Woman view crosshair and then switched to the Revi; The Revi was up and to the right, on the same paused frame so it appears to not be aligned with the bore.

III/JG11_Simmox
04-18-2011, 09:58 AM
agree
just remove the limit on gunsight view,problem solved as i see it

the most annoying thing for me
is,coming off gunsight view whilst tracking is hard work.and non to fluent either unless you remember to release gunsight view before tracking.

salute

i forgot to add,try using precision F7 when going to gunsight view

Ataros
04-18-2011, 12:36 PM
To set Trackir center on Revi I lean a bit left and push trackir center hotkey (F12?). Then when I am back to my normal posture I have the site right in front of me with deadzone working the usual way.