PDA

View Full Version : Rudder sensibility

LcSummers
04-15-2011, 07:49 AM
My rudders have a verry sensible adjustment. If using left or right rudder it responds immedeatly. Is this real or should i change the settings. How is it on a real aircraft?

Cheers

BlackbusheFlyer
04-15-2011, 08:33 AM
It varies enormously, it depends on the size of the rudder and the aerodynamic qualities of the aircraft. The extra 300 has a very powerful oversized rudder and is very sensitive, whereas your standard cessna requires lots of kick to over-do the rudder, this is due primarily to its rather fat side profile (of the aircraft). I can not comment with any authority on the types in the game, however I would expect somewhere in between for the fighters.

One other aspect to consider is rudder authority is directly linked to airspeed. The spitfire for example flying at 300mph would certainly require quite a force to make large rudder deflections. This of course is a desirable property as at speed the effects on the aircraft are increased proportionally.

Rudder is an incredibly difficult affair on a simulator really as you can not feel the change in pressures nor the seat-of-your-pants feel when your flying with a slip or skid. Real aircraft in this respect are easier than simulated ones!

LcSummers
04-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Thank you very much for these informations. So i let them as they are for the moment.

Great answer at all.

Thanx;)

Kankkis
04-15-2011, 08:41 AM
My rudders have a verry sensible adjustment. If using left or right rudder it responds immedeatly. Is this real or should i change the settings. How is it on a real aircraft?

Cheers

be sure it is working 1:1 in game controllers options in game.

if not adjust 100% deadzone settings.

BlackbusheFlyer
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Thank you very much for these informations. So i let them as they are for the moment.

Great answer at all.

Thanx;)

You are welcome, I regret I can not give you a definitive answer, however I have flown most common prop types over the years along with driving the 767 for a time. 30-35 years ago there were still quite a few ex-RAF wartime pilots flying in senior roles or working at the CAA (for those that remember a particular moustachioed pipe smoking CAA examiner who would insist all dead stick landings were precisely that). The accounts of flying the spitfire or hurricane were that it was a very easy aircraft to fly, that it would forgive all but the most clumsy pilots. It would go exactly where you wanted it to go and would only bite you after giving plenty of growling first.

The Germans made exceptional aircraft, cutting edge technical types. The British made passionate aircraft which were easy for low hour pilots to fly. This undoubtedly helped win the war and particularly when pilot attrition was so high. Low time pilots were able to quickly get to grips with the hurry or the spit, the Germany accident figures for low time pilots speak for themselves.

LcSummers
04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks mates,

i really appreciate all kinds of help. I stated some times i really like this forum, great members here.

BlackbusheFlyer i am very contnented with your answer. I can now imagine how it works. A not qiute good comparison but somethinlg like driving a car or a truck. It depends on weight, height, hp etc.

Thanx guys;)