PDA

View Full Version : CoD on Mac Pro, Bootcamp, Win XP SP3 vs Win 7 x64

jzbdski
04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi there,

Just wondered whether anyone else is having any luck running this using Bootcamp on a Mac ?

I've a fairly decent-spec mac but while it flies under OSX it runs like a dog on XP. (even simple things seem to be traumatic !)

CoD is proving frustrating, over land I'm lucky to get 1-2 fps ! (With all graphics options on low, grass off, etc) over sea it is better.

Can't help feeling that this should be running much more smoothly.

Before I shell out more of my hard-eaned to Micro$oft to upgrade the OS to Windows 7 64-bit does anyone think that it will make a significant enough difference to justify the expense ?

I am aware of the Memory limit with a 32-bit OS and that DirectX 10 should speed things up a bit, but will it be enough ?

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers

Richard

System Spec below.

MBF
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
I've got the same videocard (same model anyway, 5870 1gb). Using Win7 64bit I get 30ish+ framerates at 1680x1050 on medium settings (minus the aircraft graphics, which I've set to high).

jzbdski
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for that, that does sound like one heck of an improvement over 1-2 fps with everything on low/off (and reduced to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200 !)

May have to fork out after all...

Expensive business this !

Cheers,

Richard

FlushMeister
04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I've got the same videocard (same model anyway, 5870 1gb). Using Win7 64bit I get 30ish+ framerates at 1680x1050 on medium settings (minus the aircraft graphics, which I've set to high).

I have my Hexacore mac pro with 5870 win7 bootcamp on a separate SSD, running COD at around 40-60 fps at 1680x1050 at most at medium but a few things at high, thanks to that small mod that reduces texture sizes of things you can't really see.

Had no idea the 5870 was such a strong card, I run crysis 2 on max settings at 2560x1440 flawlessly, although the 1gb VRAm makes COD stutter, but with the tiny mod that's been released it's even less stutters! at www.netkas.org they say the 5870 eyefinity is working, it's got 2gb VRAm and should definetly get things smooth, I'm waiting for one to see if it really works, maybe if you're interested I'll let you know, cheers!

John

Georgio41
04-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm running CoD on an i7 iMac with w7 64 bit bootcamp & 12GB Ram/ Ati 5750 and it is performing pretty good.
Most settings at low to medium 1680x1050 and I'm averaging about 30fps with no stutters.
I haven't tried any of the mods bar turning off the aero desktop which made a huge difference.
Just waiting for the official patch tomorrow so hopefully I can crank up the eye candy a bit more.

Oldschool61
04-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Ironic all the mac people have to run windows to run all the cool stuff!!

vincent_dimicco
04-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Ironic all the mac people have to run windows to run all the cool stuff!!

very ironic

MOG_Rumboy
04-15-2011, 03:07 AM
lol. here we go... pc users just cant help it! I wonder why they read threads about macs? They just wish they could afford our machines.. lol.

i7 win7 64 in bootcamp just the hd4850 (off top of head - not on it now). Runs ok but I need to work on the resolution for the 27inch screen.

Georgio41
04-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Well unfortunately we have to delve into the dark side every now and then, just be thankful that we haven't got DX on the Mac OS and have to suffer with OpenGL as it would show up most PC's to be the mongrels they are.... :grin:

Oldschool61
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
lol. here we go... pc users just cant help it! I wonder why they read threads about macs? They just wish they could afford our machines.. lol.

i7 win7 64 in bootcamp just the hd4850 (off top of head - not on it now). Runs ok but I need to work on the resolution for the 27inch screen.

Why would I want to over pay for my hardware??? I like my money and I think Steve Jobs has enough already. Only difference now with mac and pc is the os and price for components. PC cost less for the same mac equivalent. If you own a mac and want to run mainstream software you have to run a windows shell so what is the point. Mac has the nice WALLED in garden so you cant do the same as with PC. And typically, pc builders are smarter than mac users.
Case closed! :)

swiss
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Why would I want to over pay for my hardware???

Because:

- it's so cool "being part of it"
- they are made of aluminum and glas
- Macs are idiot proof, whenever they fail, they sell it as a feature
- they dont have edges[just like the users]
- they are made of aluminum and glas - have I already mentioned they are incredibly cool?

Take a look at the mac homepage - what do reckon? They don't mention the tech specs of product, but the cool looks and the fact the use Al and glas.

The product itself is just overpriced, but it's the users I feel really sorry for.

Over 'n out. :)

Codex
04-15-2011, 02:02 PM

I love reading these threads because it never ceases to amaze me that Mac users try and squeeze every frame they possibly can from a PC based game running on a Mac. If they spent that same amount of money on building a PC in the first place they wouldn't need to post.

If you want the maximum performance from a PC game, then for the love of god get a PC.

I wonder how I'd go on a Mac user's forum asking about running MacOS on a PC :P

Oldschool61
04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I love reading these threads because it never ceases to amaze me that Mac users try and squeeze every frame they possibly can from a PC based game running on a Mac. If they spent that same amount of money on building a PC in the first place they wouldn't need to post.

If you want the maximum performance from a PC game, then for the love of god get a PC.

They shuld just build a gaming PC and buy the stupid OS 10 or whatever it is and try and make a dual boot. Not like they have to worry about games running on the mac side all the good stuff is written for windows.

Oldschool61
04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Because:

Take a look at the mac homepage - what do reckon? They don't mention the tech specs of product, but the cool looks and the fact the use Al and glas.

The product itself is just overpriced, but it's the users I feel really sorry for.

Over 'n out. :)

I had to laugh at the "but the cool looks and the fact the use Al and glas.".
reminded me how how simple babys are to please, just jiggle something shinny in front of them and they stop crying and play with the shiny aluminum

swiss
04-15-2011, 02:23 PM

I might try that. lol

Georgio41
04-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm guessing that while you were still in nappies I was building PC's when it was still very much a dark science, so don't give it all the 'smarter than thou' crap.
Mac users use the platform generally because they'd more rather be using their equipment than delving into the insides trying to suss out wtf the burning smell is coming from....;)

NOW the case is closed.

Why would I want to over pay for my hardware??? I like my money and I think Steve Jobs has enough already. Only difference now with mac and pc is the os and price for components. PC cost less for the same mac equivalent. If you own a mac and want to run mainstream software you have to run a windows shell so what is the point. Mac has the nice WALLED in garden so you cant do the same as with PC. And typically, pc builders are smarter than mac users.

MD_Titus
04-15-2011, 05:03 PM
The guy comes looking for help with the game, not for the opinion of the usual suspects on macs.

Oldschool61
04-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm guessing that while you were still in nappies I was building PC's when it was still very much a dark science, so don't give it all the 'smarter than thou' crap.
Mac users use the platform generally because they'd more rather be using their equipment than delving into the insides trying to suss out wtf the burning smell is coming from....;)

NOW the case is closed.

Sorry but I have building PC's and such since the early 90's. Todays Macs are PC's running a locked down proprietary OS is all. They dont run any better than PC's they just cost more for no real reason other than to make people think they are getting something superior which they arent.

Georgio41
04-15-2011, 05:34 PM
I've already posted that it runs good on bootcamp as long as you use w7 64 bit; WinXP whatever it's incantation is not going to give good performance.

I can't stand it when people start knocking the OS just because they can't handle an operating system that works out of the box with no p*ssing around; it's a Ford/Chrysler thing I guess. :cool:

The guy comes looking for help with the game, not for the opinion of the usual suspects on macs.

Oldschool61
04-15-2011, 05:41 PM
I've already posted that it runs good on bootcamp as long as you use w7 64 bit; WinXP whatever it's incantation is not going to give good performance.

I can't stand it when people start knocking the OS just because they can't handle an operating system that works out of the box with no p*ssing around; it's a Ford/Chrysler thing I guess. :cool:

My daughters teachers all got mac books this year at her middle school.
She says they all hate them. They leave them off to the side she says and
they all use there windows based laptops becasue they can do everything with them. This is per what her teachers told her. They said the school didnt ask them what they wanted just dumped macs on them and they almost never use them they just are expensive paper weights. Good use of tax dollars with the mac paper weights.

Codex
04-17-2011, 09:44 AM

NOW the case is closed.

Mate at high school I was using a Wang the size of a 700L fridge and Punch Cards ... ROFL

http://grossenouille.blogspot.com/2007/09/history-term-minicomputer-evolved-in.html

jzbdski
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Ok enough of this crap.

Different people choose different tools for different jobs, we all have a preference and that's fine.

The question I'd raised was in relation to bootcamp -which is natively running windows on the hardware with no translation / interpretation / virtualization or emulation layer.

It seems like the answer may well be to try running Win 7 64-bit and DX10 or 11 to see if that improves over the woeful performance of XP-Pro 32-Bit and DX9 -which, incidentally, seems to run CoD equally poorly on 'native windows PC' hardware.

So that's it really then, thanks for all the helpful suggestions and for those of you who've given me a laugh with your, erm, 'interesting' views...

I'll post how whether the change in OS helps out when I've upgraded.

If I may ,humourously, poke a wee bit of fun at our windows colleagues, I have found it slightly bizarre that there seem to be rather more versions of Windows 7 than I was expecting -each with different parts of the OS enabled /disabled for increasingly steep prices. At least with OSX you get the one version (server excluded) and it costs a fraction of the price. :o

At the risk of starting another flame war, as all I'm likely to be doing is running a couple of applications under win7 is there any merit in buying anything other than the 'Home Premium' (is there a 'Home Basic' or 'Home Starter' ?), obviously x64 ?

Cheers

FlushMeister
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
BAM!!!!!

My 6000 dollar 2011 macbook pro didn't fit in frame...;)

MD_Titus
04-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Ok enough of this crap.

Different people choose different tools for different jobs, we all have a preference and that's fine.

The question I'd raised was in relation to bootcamp -which is natively running windows on the hardware with no translation / interpretation / virtualization or emulation layer.

It seems like the answer may well be to try running Win 7 64-bit and DX10 or 11 to see if that improves over the woeful performance of XP-Pro 32-Bit and DX9 -which, incidentally, seems to run CoD equally poorly on 'native windows PC' hardware.

So that's it really then, thanks for all the helpful suggestions and for those of you who've given me a laugh with your, erm, 'interesting' views...

I'll post how whether the change in OS helps out when I've upgraded.

If I may ,humourously, poke a wee bit of fun at our windows colleagues, I have found it slightly bizarre that there seem to be rather more versions of Windows 7 than I was expecting -each with different parts of the OS enabled /disabled for increasingly steep prices. At least with OSX you get the one version (server excluded) and it costs a fraction of the price. :o

At the risk of starting another flame war, as all I'm likely to be doing is running a couple of applications under win7 is there any merit in buying anything other than the 'Home Premium' (is there a 'Home Basic' or 'Home Starter' ?), obviously x64 ?

Cheers

From what i've gleaned, the main difference between cheap/pricey is xp compatibility mode, which I would find useful myself. Thete's a bundle of other stuff, a quick google should take you to the microsoft compatison section.

Also, if you're looking for intelligent informed input on getting the game going on a mac you could try mission4today/airwarfare sites.

Oldschool61
04-18-2011, 10:30 PM

Cheers

Actually depending on where you buy or who has sales the prices are comparable for both OS's. And one sight did have 3 or 4 different versions of your beloved OS 10 which by the way the top one was the same price as the top win 7. But win 7 can play CLoD out of the box without jumping through hoops.;)

jzbdski
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM
From what i've gleaned, the main difference between cheap/pricey is xp compatibility mode, which I would find useful myself. Thete's a bundle of other stuff, a quick google should take you to the microsoft compatison section.

Thanks for that, I have looked at the bewilderingly humourous Microsoft site and couldn't find any justification anywhere of why they want £125 for a knobbled version of the most basic version, yes XP compatibility would be nice but this should be available for any version of Win 7 not only the more expensive ones -can't help feeling that it's all a bit of a rip-off

Actually depending on where you buy or who has sales the prices are comparable for both OS's. And one sight did have 3 or 4 different versions of your beloved OS 10 which by the way the top one was the same price as the top win 7. But win 7 can play CLoD out of the box without jumping through hoops.;)

in an attempt to get back to the facts: OSX 10.6 costs £26, Win 7: Home Premium: £125; Pro: £220; Ultimate: £230. Not quite the same then. (prices come from Apple online store and Microsoft's online store).

Also, I've said it before, Bootcamp is exactly the same as using 'native Windows PC hardware' there is no more 'jumping through hoops' than anyone else running a similarly old OS (XP pro) would encounter.

Clearly we're never all going to agree, using both OS's extensively over a number of years, I know what my preferences are for certain circumstances and having the ability to switch OS for playing games, for example, is one of the great things about the Mac platform.

I'm not for one minute saying that you couldn't build a faster, better specced machine more cheaply (indeed I've done this myself in the past) but sometimes things like resiliance, compatibility and flexibility are more important and worth the perceived extra expense.

(and despite what you might have heard, OSX is a really nice, stable and speedy OS -probably not all that unlike Win 7 is attempting to be ! ;))

Can we just agree to disagree and get on with trying to enjoy the game ?

Cheers

(dives for cover)

FlushMeister
04-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I honestly think yu should get Win7, once installed in your mac you'll have a great gaming PC, it's worth the money, do you think you could get an OEM version of windows? They're much cheaper right?

Thanks for that, I have looked at the bewilderingly humourous Microsoft site and couldn't find any justification anywhere of why they want £125 for a knobbled version of the most basic version, yes XP compatibility would be nice but this should be available for any version of Win 7 not only the more expensive ones -can't help feeling that it's all a bit of a rip-off

in an attempt to get back to the facts: OSX 10.6 costs £26, Win 7: Home Premium: £125; Pro: £220; Ultimate: £230. Not quite the same then. (prices come from Apple online store and Microsoft's online store).

Also, I've said it before, Bootcamp is exactly the same as using 'native Windows PC hardware' there is no more 'jumping through hoops' than anyone else running a similarly old OS (XP pro) would encounter.

Clearly we're never all going to agree, using both OS's extensively over a number of years, I know what my preferences are for certain circumstances and having the ability to switch OS for playing games, for example, is one of the great things about the Mac platform.

I'm not for one minute saying that you couldn't build a faster, better specced machine more cheaply (indeed I've done this myself in the past) but sometimes things like resiliance, compatibility and flexibility are more important and worth the perceived extra expense.

(and despite what you might have heard, OSX is a really nice, stable and speedy OS -probably not all that unlike Win 7 is attempting to be ! ;))

Can we just agree to disagree and get on with trying to enjoy the game ?

Cheers

(dives for cover)

jzbdski
04-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Ordered Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM) and 1TB hard drive, £120 all-in.

I'll post how it all works out once they're installed.

Thanks for all your help

:)

Oldschool61
04-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Most online retailers like newegg have OS 10 and Win 7 around the same price.

jzbdski
04-19-2011, 01:38 AM

Ah, that's for the OSX box set which bundles in the latest versions of iLife and iWork... and that's still the full and complete version of the OS at the same price as the cut-down version of Win 7.

Anyhoos, doesn't really matter. Paid the money, hope for better frame-rates
(and if it doesn't help I'll be really p****d off !)

Flying Pencil
04-19-2011, 04:27 AM
BAM!!!!!

My 6000 dollar 2011 macbook pro didn't fit in frame...;)

Is that FW190 on your Canon?? ;)

I wish I had half the money for your 'pit to get me a new one! :)

And you have a VERY nice office too! VERY VERy nice!

Flying Pencil
04-19-2011, 04:31 AM

OS 10.6 FULL VERSION = $29 (not $29.99), but it was more performace upgrade then new features.

OS 10.5 was $129 (full version).

10.7 is due soon, probably $149

I have been more productive with Mac's, but still build my own PC every few years.

MD_Titus
04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
"Cheapest" version of win7 should be perfectly sufficient for the purpose of just playing cod.

*Buzzsaw*
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM

I have both Macs and PC's.

The PC's are better for games, but only because the games were written for them.

Macs are better for everything else, their operating system and software is head and shoulders above a PC. Take Video editing for example, Final Cut Pro will run well on Macs with slower Intel CPU's, and give much better performance than a Windows editing program on a PC with a faster CPU.

Mac: No crashes, no operating system bugs, no online viruses, no problems.

They are too expensive though.

swiss
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM

No crashes?
You can't crash W7 even If you wanted to. The only way to provoke a BSOD is to install hardware the mobo/bios doesn't like.
Just like always: If the PC fails, check for the problem 60cm in front of it.
It's usually the 3rd party progis that crash your PC(XP,Vista), as they are not available for macs - no crashes.
;)

Viruses:
Now this is just a matter of time (or rather: market share).
Mackies will soon enjoy them in their full bloom too.

They look "nice" though. Not really my stile as I like white only for cars.
I'm more the industrial/military guy.
I actually thought about putting my HTPC in a used server rack(they're black, have handholds and look brutal, hooyah) - does anyone know if ATX boards and standard PSUs will fit in?

FlushMeister:
Your office looks so clean it's actually gay, lol.
No, seriously; I can't spot a single piece of paper or a pen.
What exactly do you do there?

FlushMeister
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks, of course I cleaned it up for the photo, i had just switched to mac so I had to take it, I know it's almost ghey but I assure you I have a wife and 2 kids :)))) I'm a concept artist and illustrator you can see some stuff here, www.johnliberto.com

I actually did the spitfire and P63 skins in Il2 way back too, and also did the FW190 cockpit mod etc.

A week after I got my mac stuff, i got hired by microsoft.... (to work on the halo franchise) pretty ironic huh? :D

The tablet under the left monitor is for drawing, so I work all digital in photoshop so no paper or pens needed...

Cheers!

No crashes?
You can't crash W7 even If you wanted to. The only way to provoke a BSOD is to install hardware the mobo/bios doesn't like.
It's usually the 3rd party progis that crash your PC(XP,Vista), as they are not available for macs - no crashes.
;)

Viruses:

I actually thought about putting my HTPC in a used server rack(they're black, have handholds and look brutal, hooyah) - does anyone know if ATX boards and standard PSUs will fit in?

FlushMeister:

Georgio41
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Yup we had one of those at school though our one was the size of a small car. We managed to program Star Trek on it which was a nightmare with it's limited memory.
Bottom line was to spend 10 mins punching in the flight instructions on a paper card, stick in the card and wait another 5 mins only to find out you've just driven the Enterprise through the Moon... :D

Mate at high school I was using a Wang the size of a 700L fridge and Punch Cards ... ROFL

http://grossenouille.blogspot.com/2007/09/history-term-minicomputer-evolved-in.html

FlushMeister
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks man, I just posted it to ease up the mood in the thread :D Yes the FW 190 is my alltime fave ever!

To be honest, I would never spend that money if I couldn't write it off the company, luckily the new sandy bridge rigs allows for a very affordable strong gaming PC.

I use all this stuff for work, so i get the money back in a way, but would never buy it "for private use", but macs are gorgeous, and for some people they give a good, stable working-environment where I can focus on my job...

Is that FW190 on your Canon?? ;)

I wish I had half the money for your 'pit to get me a new one! :)

And you have a VERY nice office too! VERY VERy nice!

Georgio41
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Nice artwork there John, I like your fluid painting style; really atmospheric. :cool:

Thanks, of course I cleaned it up for the photo, i had just switched to mac so I had to take it, I know it's almost ghey but I assure you I have a wife and 2 kids :)))) I'm a concept artist and illustrator you can see some stuff here, www.johnliberto.com

I actually did the spitfire and P63 skins in Il2 way back too, and also did the FW190 cockpit mod etc.

A week after I got my mac stuff, i got hired by microsoft.... (to work on the halo franchise) pretty ironic huh? :D

The tablet under the left monitor is for drawing, so I work all digital in photoshop so no paper or pens needed...

Cheers!

Oldschool61
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
No crashes?
;)

Viruses:

FlushMeister:

I also recently read an article on tom hardware that interviewed several professional IT guys and the subject was Mac OS vs win7. They said mac was easier to get viruses because they lack the degree of updates that win gets. They said mac dont get viruses like win 7 and the like because its not worth the time for the programmers to write a virus for something that isnt in a worthwhile quantity (10% market share). Other reviews sites say theres not much difference between them. Games wise win7 usually wins hands down for performance.

swiss
04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm a concept artist and illustrator

LOL.
I knew it.
The die hard Mac users, from what I heard they are/always were first choice for this purpose.

I'm going to send your "Mac user's wet dream" to a few friends(mac fans of course) - I wonder what their reactions will be. :grin:

Codex
04-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Macs are better for everything else, their operating system and software is head and shoulders above a PC.

Thats because MACs don't have to worry about ensuring other pieces of hardware work when they're pluged in.

Apple just has to worry about Apple hardware. Great for stability, bad for freedom of choice.

Oldschool61
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
The PC's are better for games, but only because the games were written for them.

Macs are better for everything else, their operating system and software is head and shoulders above a PC. Take Video editing for example, Final Cut Pro will run well on Macs with slower Intel CPU's, and give much better performance than a Windows editing program on a PC with a faster CPU.

Actually your just stating your opinion. Opinion isnt fact. Comparing Final Cut to windows editing is an apples to oranges comparison and cant even be considerd seriously. Thats the same as saying win7 plays CloD better than os x. Duh. Everything you claim as better is just your opinion and until you can actually produce some real world benchmarks you just blowing smoke out an orifice.

Oldschool61
04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Thats because MACs don't have to worry about ensuring other pieces of hardware work when they're pluged in.

Apple just has to worry about Apple hardware. Great for stability, bad for freedom of choice.

Thats becasue macs are typically for computer illiterate people who dont know which end of a screwdriver is which.

jzbdski
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
My, my aren't we lucky to be graced by so many enlightened souls.

I am literally dazzled by your profound insight and yet amazed to witness Redmond Fanboys. - I thought if you were so into tinkering under the hood you'd be running some custom Linux kernel... :-P

Still, to be serious for a mo, I've always found productivity to be more important than a competition to see who can p**s the highest !

Bear in mind that this was a question about the merits of xp x86 vs win7 x64 and DX9 vs DX10. Something which other visitors to the forum might find of use.

The stuff arrives tomorrow so the win7 hell ( I mean 'learning curve') can begin.

Cheers

Victory205
04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand while people are threatened by Macs. People use them for different reasons, and run games as a second priority. It isn't cost effective to buy a Mac specifically as a game machine, but it is quite legitimate to want to run games on an intel Mac on the side.

Do let us know how the game runs on your Mac Pro. The word is that Mac pro's may get access to off the shelf video cards in the near future. You can run any card in pc mode, but you need a Mac card to run OSX.

Oldschool61
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
The word is that Mac pro's may get access to off the shelf video cards in the near future. You can run any card in pc mode, but you need a Mac card to run OSX.

That will happen when Steve Jobs dies..... which come to think of it may be sooner than we think :)

Codex
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
My, my aren't we lucky to be graced by so many enlightened souls.

I am literally dazzled by your profound insight and yet amazed to witness Redmond Fanboys. - I thought if you were so into tinkering under the hood you'd be running some custom Linux kernel... :-P

Still, to be serious for a mo, I've always found productivity to be more important than a competition to see who can p**s the highest !

Bear in mind that this was a question about the merits of xp x86 vs win7 x64 and DX9 vs DX10. Something which other visitors to the forum might find of use.

The stuff arrives tomorrow so the win7 hell ( I mean 'learning curve') can begin.

Cheers

I personally don't have anything against MAC/Apple at all. The very first computer I ever owned (not used) was an Apple IIc, I had many a great programming adventure on that thing. My parents berated me for spending so much ime in my room tapping on that keyboard.

But then I got the gaming bug, Blade Runner, Castle Wolfenstein (the text block version) ... it was all down hill from there ;)

If there was as much development support for Apple / Linux in gaming as there is for PC's I'd be swapping in a heart beat. I recall some guys on the UBI forums getting IL-2 running on Ubuntu Linux, they reported a massive frame rate increase compared to Win. I'm pretty sure it was due to all the background crap Windows has running taking up resources. The trouble was their joysticks and TrackIR had no Linux support.

Oldschool61
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
- I thought if you were so into tinkering under the hood you'd be running some custom Linux kernel... :-P

Cheers

Well linux is as bad as mac for lack software probably worse. IF you want something stable, reliable, and has thousands of applications for everything available at a good price you get a PC. And Im sure your going to be able to handle win7 unless your not smarter than a fifth grader.

Codex
04-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Just for kicks I did a component price comparison:

$209.00 Intel Core i5 2400*
$105.00 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
$29.00 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 Grey
$49.00 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
$69.00 Antec New Solution VSK-2000 Case
$499.00 ASUS VE278Q 27 ASUS VE278Q 27" Widescreen LED Monitor
$139.00 HIS ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB
$149.00 Pioneer BDR-206 Blu-Ray Disc Writer OEM
$69.00 Antec Basiq 500W Plus Power Supply
$105.00 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
$69.00 ASRock H61M-VS Motherboard B3
$58.00 Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB DDR3

Total: $1549.00

27-inch iMac
2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Magic Mouse
Country Kit

Total: $2199.00

* Tried to match the iMac's CPU as best I could but I'd say the new socket 1155 i5 would kick the iMac's arse. My favourite supplier no longer stocks 1156 CPU :P

jzbdski
04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Well what can I say...

The difference between XP pro and Win 7 84-bit is quite remarkable.

I tried the training mission briefly with all graphics options set to default -except for the epilepsy filter and the game played really well, good frame rate -and you could see the rings in the sky -I didn't even know they were there before !

So it looks like the step up to win 7 and DirectX 10 has made a considerable difference.

The OS itself seems snappier than XP but still feels like a poor copy of OSX -it just feels a bit flakier and still not quite as fluid and responsive... It's not dreadful but I'm just glad that I don't have to spend the bulk of my time in its grip.

Worth it for the improvement in Games performance though ! :-P

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, and for the laugh at the more tangental observations...

In fact I meant to say in response to Oldschool's comment about the Mac Users not knowing one end of a screwdriver from the other that one of the great things about the Mac Pro is that you don't need to use a screwdriver to change a hard drive !

Cheers

Oldschool61
04-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Well what can I say...

The difference between XP pro and Win 7 84-bit is quite remarkable.

I tried the training mission briefly with all graphics options set to default -except for the epilepsy filter and the game played really well, good frame rate -and you could see the rings in the sky -I didn't even know they were there before !

So it looks like the step up to win 7 and DirectX 10 has made a considerable difference.

The OS itself seems snappier than XP but still feels like a poor copy of OSX -it just feels a bit flakier and still not quite as fluid and responsive... It's not dreadful but I'm just glad that I don't have to spend the bulk of my time in its grip.

Worth it for the improvement in Games performance though ! :-P

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, and for the laugh at the more tangental observations...

In fact I meant to say in response to Oldschool's comment about the Mac Users not knowing one end of a screwdriver from the other that one of the great things about the Mac Pro is that you don't need to use a screwdriver to change a hard drive !

Cheers
I bet you have to buy proprietary overpriced hardware!!

MBF
04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
[...]

Cheers

Home premium covers pretty much anything anyone may need, in my humble opinion. Starter version is for really low end machines and I think it comes only with netbooks.

The price for home premium is not that bad considering all the stuff it comes with, regardless if you use it or not.

KoD DEAD ON!
09-26-2011, 01:50 AM
I bet you have to buy proprietary overpriced hardware!!
Old School has reminded why I use a Mac ...... I don´t have to waste my time, with having to deal with irritating door to door preachers of backward religions, trying to sell me all types of Gods and repentance, with all sorts of combinations .... when all I need is the one .....

An old british race car engineer´s proverb .... " Why make it simple .... when you can make it HARD ..... there´s no fun in THAT !!!" ... I think JAGUAR maybe...?

(I've got an old XJS ....by the way ... I know what I'm talking about .... LOL)