Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy CoD on Mac Pro, Bootcamp, Win XP SP3 vs Win 7 x64

Hi there,

Just wondered whether anyone else is having any luck running this using Bootcamp on a Mac ?

I've a fairly decent-spec mac but while it flies under OSX it runs like a dog on XP. (even simple things seem to be traumatic !)

CoD is proving frustrating, over land I'm lucky to get 1-2 fps ! (With all graphics options on low, grass off, etc) over sea it is better.

Can't help feeling that this should be running much more smoothly.

Before I shell out more of my hard-eaned to Micro$oft to upgrade the OS to Windows 7 64-bit does anyone think that it will make a significant enough difference to justify the expense ?

I am aware of the Memory limit with a 32-bit OS and that DirectX 10 should speed things up a bit, but will it be enough ?

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers

Richard

System Spec below.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

I've got the same videocard (same model anyway, 5870 1gb). Using Win7 64bit I get 30ish+ framerates at 1680x1050 on medium settings (minus the aircraft graphics, which I've set to high).
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Default Hmmm...

Thanks for that, that does sound like one heck of an improvement over 1-2 fps with everything on low/off (and reduced to 1024x768 instead of 1920x1200 !)

May have to fork out after all...

Expensive business this !

Cheers,

Richard
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBF View Post
I've got the same videocard (same model anyway, 5870 1gb). Using Win7 64bit I get 30ish+ framerates at 1680x1050 on medium settings (minus the aircraft graphics, which I've set to high).
I have my Hexacore mac pro with 5870 win7 bootcamp on a separate SSD, running COD at around 40-60 fps at 1680x1050 at most at medium but a few things at high, thanks to that small mod that reduces texture sizes of things you can't really see.

Had no idea the 5870 was such a strong card, I run crysis 2 on max settings at 2560x1440 flawlessly, although the 1gb VRAm makes COD stutter, but with the tiny mod that's been released it's even less stutters! at www.netkas.org they say the 5870 eyefinity is working, it's got 2gb VRAm and should definetly get things smooth, I'm waiting for one to see if it really works, maybe if you're interested I'll let you know, cheers!

John
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Approved Member

I'm running CoD on an i7 iMac with w7 64 bit bootcamp & 12GB Ram/ Ati 5750 and it is performing pretty good.
Most settings at low to medium 1680x1050 and I'm averaging about 30fps with no stutters.
I haven't tried any of the mods bar turning off the aero desktop which made a huge difference.
Just waiting for the official patch tomorrow so hopefully I can crank up the eye candy a bit more.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Approved Member

Ironic all the mac people have to run windows to run all the cool stuff!!
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Ironic all the mac people have to run windows to run all the cool stuff!!
very ironic
Old 04-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

lol. here we go... pc users just cant help it! I wonder why they read threads about macs? They just wish they could afford our machines.. lol.

i7 win7 64 in bootcamp just the hd4850 (off top of head - not on it now). Runs ok but I need to work on the resolution for the 27inch screen.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Approved Member

Well unfortunately we have to delve into the dark side every now and then, just be thankful that we haven't got DX on the Mac OS and have to suffer with OpenGL as it would show up most PC's to be the mongrels they are....
Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOG_Rumboy View Post
lol. here we go... pc users just cant help it! I wonder why they read threads about macs? They just wish they could afford our machines.. lol.

i7 win7 64 in bootcamp just the hd4850 (off top of head - not on it now). Runs ok but I need to work on the resolution for the 27inch screen.
Why would I want to over pay for my hardware??? I like my money and I think Steve Jobs has enough already. Only difference now with mac and pc is the os and price for components. PC cost less for the same mac equivalent. If you own a mac and want to run mainstream software you have to run a windows shell so what is the point. Mac has the nice WALLED in garden so you cant do the same as with PC. And typically, pc builders are smarter than mac users.
Case closed!
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Closed Thread