PDA

View Full Version : Fairey Battle the missing RAF fighter/bomber

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-12-2011, 10:03 PM
It would be nice to have the 'Fairey Battle'added as part of the RAF line up of early war aircraft.I hope the dev team can consider this over the next few months.

Although it did'nt play a major part in the Battle of Britain it certainly was a key aircraft of the early war years,especially playing it's part in the Battle of France,even if it was mauled by the German fighters.

Anyway here's hoping.

ATAG_Dutch
04-12-2011, 10:07 PM
It would be nice to have the 'Fairey Battle'added as part of the RAF line up of early war aircraft.I hope the dev team can consider this over the next few months.

Although it did'nt play a major part in the Battle of Britain it certainly was a key aircraft of the early war years,especially playing it's part in the Battle of France,even if it was mauled by the German fighters.

Anyway here's hoping.

Absolutely agree.

Wolf_Rider
04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
+1

*Buzzsaw*
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Salute

Would be nice to have it, but the plane actually took almost no part in the BoB.

Big part in the Battle for France, but nearly all of the Fairey Battle Squadrons in that battle were decimated. They were withdrawn from active tactical service.

Hopefully we get a Battle of France expansion and the Fairey Battle can get a chance to demonstrate the heroic actions of its pilots and crew.

Ivan Fooker
04-13-2011, 06:17 AM
a Battle of France
Guys you cant be seroius...
You would like to have a model created and being probably flyable,for the little timeshift of a "the battle of France"....
I dont know if you are aware about how mayn hours it take to create a complete new model, not mentioning the tweaks to get it running and implemented into the engine.

There are much bigger issues ,that need to be solved.
At the end noone cares about an already outdated bomber in 1940.

I mean maybe there will some day be a buyable DLC that offers the Fairy B.
But if you want the FairyB you may want to see the Morane and a early Curtiss and an earlier version of Bf109....The battle of France, aswell as the Battle of Poland isnt worth the effort.

After the game got finally updated "to an actual release verison", a new battleground was already announced...Operation Taifun and depending to the maps delivered, we can use it as the beginning of "Operation Barbarossa".

Wutz
04-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Guys you cant be seroius...
You would like to have a model created and being probably flyable,for the little timeshift of a "the battle of France"....
I dont know if you are aware about how mayn hours it take to create a complete new model, not mentioning the tweaks to get it running and implemented into the engine.

There are much bigger issues ,that need to be solved.
At the end noone cares about an already outdated bomber in 1940.

I mean maybe there will some day be a buyable DLC that offers the Fairy B.
But if you want the FairyB you may want to see the Morane and a early Curtiss and an earlier version of Bf109....The battle of France, aswell as the Battle of Poland isnt worth the effort.

After the game got finally updated "to an actual release verison", a new battleground was already announced...Operation Taifun and depending to the maps delivered, we can use it as the beginning of "Operation Barbarossa".

You do know that with that kind of argumentation you can scratch most WWII aircraft? So you feel WWII flight sims should be reduced to 109s and Spits, He 111s and Ju 88s as not much more was used from the beginning to the end of the war?
Good thing you are not in charge and that Olegs team have in the past not ignored, the not so common WWII aircraft.
Nice would be if in time the Sunderland would become flyable!
As of bombers the Handley Page Hampden bomber would be a nice one, or the lesser known Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Bomber which was active during the BoB. If one was into the bit exotic this would be also a great addition especially for events like VOW: Blackburn Botha reconnaissance plane.
The large amount of aircraft and maps where one of the big bonuses in IL2, leaving that aspect out would certainly not have a positive effect on CoD.
And yes I know the old argument of the fighter fixation, for every bomber one could build at least two bombers. But the developing team knows what they got themselves into, and cutting corners, and going the simple way is not really going to help in the long run. Even though many would like WWII air warfare reduced to fighter dogfights, but sorry boys, fighters where in most cases just support for.....right the bombers......even if some would love to have that changed.

ATAG_Dutch
04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Nice would be if in time the Sunderland would become flyable!
As for bombers the Handley Page Hampden bomber would be a nice one, or the lesser known Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Bomber which was active during the BoB. If one was into the bit exotic this would be also a great addition especially for events like VOW: Blackburn Botha reconnaissance plane.

Agree with this too.

Besides, there was hardly any Gladiator involvement in WWII after Norway and France, apart from briefly Malta, and certainly not in the BoB, yet the good old Glad is already AI in the game, as is the He115. I don't recall this A/C being involved in the BoB either. I'm pleased it's in the game though.

Also, just because the Battles of both Poland and France were not of long duration, doesn't mean that replicating those times in the game would not be immensely satisfying and immersive.
The Poles held out for three weeks or so, in obsolete planes and downed a lot of Luftwaffe aircraft in the process. With two sorties per day over three weeks this would mean a campaign of 42 missions.

That said, I'd also be more than happy to visit the Eastern Front again, after all, it's how IL2 started. :grin:

He111
04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Agree with this too.

Besides, there was hardly any Gladiator involvement in WWII after Norway and France, apart from briefly Malta, and certainly not in the BoB, yet the good old Glad is already AI in the game, as is the He115. I don't recall this A/C being involved in the BoB either. I'm pleased it's in the game though.

Also, just because the Battles of both Poland and France were not of long duration, doesn't mean that replicating those times in the game would not be immensely satisfying and immersive.
The Poles held out for three weeks or so, in obsolete planes and downed a lot of Luftwaffe aircraft in the process. With two sorties per day over three weeks this would mean a campaign of 42 missions.

That said, I'd also be more than happy to visit the Eastern Front again, after all, it's how IL2 started. :grin:

+1

He111.

Echo76
04-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Maybe the Gladiator AI is a remnant from old IL-2 as Finland used them in winter and continuation war against Russia?

steveg
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
+1, all of the early war aircraft would be excellent additions, Battles, Handley page Hampdens, Beauforts, Whitleys etc.

A flyable Gladiator and Avro Anson would be great too

I would also like to see a French Campaign and some French Aircraft. Maybe the end of the battle of France and the Dunkirk Evacuation.

ATAG_Dutch
04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe the end of the battle of France and the Dunkirk Evacuation.

Now that's why I'd really like a Battle of France scenario.

What a finale!:grin:

Ivan Fooker
04-13-2011, 03:30 PM
You do know that with that kind of argumentation you can scratch most WWII aircraft? So you feel WWII flight sims should be reduced to 109s and Spits, He 111s and Ju 88s as not much more was used from the beginning to the end of the war?

The point is the use/affort curve.
Those old planes got used just a few months,not mentioning the production counts.
I repeat myself...have u ever created an own 3d model and implemented into a game engine?
The models of CoD are more than detailed within.

I am by far not interested in flying Spit vs Bf109, but the planes should be in relation to their playground and so to their afford in the whole game.

I am not sure about the upcoming politics Maddox planed, but a paying DLC content like used by 777(?) - Rise of flight is imho not a bad solution.
In that frame old planes could be implemented properly.

Neverthless the dices already fell for another DLC.
"Moscow 1941" which covers a bunch of different popular planes and a big terrain.
"Mediterran Theater" ws mentioned several times, covers also a bunch of different popular planes and a huge terrain.

But well dreams and suggestions are always desireable i guess.

Tavingon
09-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I have to agree, I really want to fly the battle.

I always thought it looked like a streched hurricane

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Air%20T3%20Fairey%20Battle.JPG

He111
09-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Battle looks like a prototype IL2, great target for German fighters & AA.

I'd prefer a Hampden, the bomber designed to maneuver like a fighter once it's bomber load was released.

http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/images/EE_Handley_Page_Hampden.jpg

Tavingon
09-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Id love both!

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/images/r_545x/Product/71224/AIR-04011.jpg?ts=1284609678

flyingblind
09-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe we could have the best of both worlds. Couldn't the developers stick to the original plot and produce and sell additional theaters with decent plane sets as per original IL2 series but also produce or allow 3rd parties to produce the more peripheral aircraft which could be bought by those that want them as per RoF?

1PL_Lucas
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I hope that the 3rd party will be allowed to create additional content, like huge maps or even the planes. This would allow to create less "popular" operation theatres, just like the mentioned September Campaign 1939. I'd love to create such content in the future, as me and my teammates did for the targetware engine couple of years ago.
Anyways, the more theatres, the better for the simmers. Playing the scenarios can teach more about dedicated conflict or the aircrafts and the units which were used. So, +1.

br,
Lucas

ElAurens
09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
*AHEM, Curtiss fanboy hat on.*

The Curtiss Hawk 75 (P-36 for USAAC) did more than fight for three weeks in France. It was used by more airforces than any aircraft I can think of, on both sides of the conflict.

From France to Finland, to North Africa, to America's first air battle of the war on Dec. 7th, to China and South East Asia, to air forces in South America, the Hawk 75 was there. Sometimes successful, sometimes not, but it was a ubiquitous type and deserves a proper place in any WW2 flight sim.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5561/p36n.jpg

And besides, it just looks so good.

mazex
09-18-2011, 09:04 PM
There is an SDK somewhere down the path so you masochists can do you own Battle ;)

Tavingon
09-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Im just looking forward to flying her

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/aircraft/aircraft-pictures/large/fairey-battle.jpg

http://koti.welho.com/msolanak/profbattle.jpg

Imagine how cramped the navigator was!

He111
09-18-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm willing to pay $20-$40 for patch / dlc with additional planes / flyables.

What i want;

(1) flyable defiant (dunkirk campaign)
(2) flyable Condor (atlantic campaign)
(3) flyable Hampden / hudson (early war campaigns)

Curtis Hawk??? hmmmm, yeah, Battle for France campaign with all french aircraft .. YEH! :grin:

trumps
09-19-2011, 12:07 AM
I would quite happily pay full purchase price again for a good BoF add-on with appropriate plane, and ground force set. It was an amazing campaign, and if the communications situation had been better on the allied forces side the Germans could have been turned back. It is the one campaign I have always wanted in a sim and I still hope that oneday it can be done. It is the thing that keeps drawing me back to WW2OL time after time since release!

Craig

JimmyBlonde
09-19-2011, 12:44 AM
THIS

http://www.simviation.com/pageimages/d520runwy.jpg

Blackdog_kt
09-19-2011, 02:41 AM
Im just looking forward to flying her

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/aircraft/aircraft-pictures/large/fairey-battle.jpg

http://koti.welho.com/msolanak/profbattle.jpg

Imagine how cramped the navigator was!

Heh, i completely miss any recollection of reading about the RHAF (Royal Hellenic/Greek air force) operating Battles, but that's exactly what your second picture shows.

I know our guys used to fly a few squadrons in exile under RAF command while the country was occupied and there was also a wealthy playboy who had emigrated to and was living in the UK that made ace flying Typhoons and Tempests (he didn't make it, i think flak got him at some point), but Battles is something i don't really remember reading about. I mean, it's definitely something they would have been likely to have operated, but i just don't know where and in which campaigns.

The well known parts of the story are about 335 and 336 squadrons in N.Africa flying Hurris and later Spits, plus a mixed-crew bomber squad with Greek officers and Commonwealth gunners that was flying Blenheims initially and then transitioned to Martin Baltimores. These outfits also took part in some notable operations, the El Alamein battle and the attacks on Monte Cassino respectively, but i am very curious about the context under which the Battle makes an appearance in Greek colours. Any ideas?

Back on topic, the Hampden gets my vote and as far as making sense in terms of development time, you can't go wrong with a swordfish: it fought everywhere and did everything during the entire duration of the war :-P

Tavingon
09-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Just bought the airfix kit!

ElAurens
09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
I built one in the early 70s that I picked up at a shop in Cambridge when I was visiting the UK after high school graduation.

I still have it somewhere...

major_setback
09-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Forgotten Battles?
:-)

klem
09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I would quite happily pay full purchase price again for a good BoF add-on with appropriate plane, and ground force set. It was an amazing campaign, and if the communications situation had been better on the allied forces side the Germans could have been turned back. It is the one campaign I have always wanted in a sim and I still hope that oneday it can be done. It is the thing that keeps drawing me back to WW2OL time after time since release!

Craig

+

in time it would be nice to have these. I'd like to fight the Battle for France and Dunkirk.

Still, there are more important things at the moment and we can simulate the BfF with what's available.

trumps
09-21-2011, 01:04 PM
for sure mate, when the time comes and all is complete and running well with the base game.

Craig

Tavingon
09-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I want !

He111
09-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Actually looking at the quality of the meshes and the detail, I'm very impressed and would have paid double for this game. needless to say, my wallet is burning a hole in my pocket waiting for the next major patch / update (with more planes / cockpits)

Thanks all who contributed to this great game!:grin:

senseispcc
09-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Maybe the Lysander! and by reaction the Storch...:rolleyes:

Tavingon
09-24-2011, 08:14 AM
It is a great game,.. when it moves a bit more smoother on my pc I would literally go and buy every flyable plane offered unless it was something silly like the wright brothers plane.. then again I would probably buy that too!

ElAurens
09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
The beauty is you won't have to buy them seperately.

This is not Rise of Flight, thank goodness.

JG5_emil
09-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Wasn't there a Blenheim fighter that was in action in the BOB? Not sure what the difference is and I do know they were a disaster but it would be nice to have these aircraft. The BOB was a time that showed glaring miscalculations in the tactical thinking at the time and it would be nice to experience having to fly such lemons. A bit like flying a 110 as a fighter online :)

He111
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Wasn't there a Blenheim fighter that was in action in the BOB? Not sure what the difference is and I do know they were a disaster but it would be nice to have these aircraft. The BOB was a time that showed glaring miscalculations in the tactical thinking at the time and it would be nice to experience having to fly such lemons. A bit like flying a 110 as a fighter online :)

Funny, I was just playing around with scenarios and setup the early Blenheim as a fighter , hoping to add in a gun pod .. but alas!

When the war started, the laftwaffe was mostly ready, the English NOT! many a couragous pilot went to his death in antiquated 1930s aircraft. Fairy battle being one and dare I say the defiant ? Funny thing, the Italians were too early, they thought the war would start mid 30s and by 1940 had an airforce of mostly antiquated relics! :grin:

BTW, wasn't the Lysander suppose to be a non-flyer?? would be great to have it part of a long campaign where a successful night landing the night before (dropping off arms and gathering intel) would render a nearby enemy airfield inoperable the next day .. just an idea.

Tavingon
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Can anyone find a picture of the version of the blenheim with the remote firing rear under gun turret? I think this version was in Wings of Prey, I want it for CLOD!

robtek
09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
2 sec. search with google:

http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/aimages/G1929.jpg

http://www.aviationarchive.org.uk/Gpages/html/G1929.html

http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/aimages/G1931.jpg

http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/getobject.php?rnum=G1931&searchitem=Blenheim&mtv=G1&pnum=2

Tavingon
09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Really cool, I found the one for the mk5 but was wondering about the one for mk iv, i think i saw it on 'Wings of prey' blenhiem.. was this feature on the BOB version?

Is the version on the mk5 crewed by an extra man lying down in this gun section?

robtek
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Here is the Mk.IV
http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/getobject.php?rnum=G1152&searchitem=Blenheim&mtv=G3&pnum=1

http://www.transportarchive.org.uk/getobject.php?rnum=G2068&searchitem=Blenheim&mtv=G3&pnum=1

major_setback
09-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Roy Cross Airfix box art:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/dbs_Roy_Cross_Celebration_Of_Flight_03.jpg

IvanK
09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
major_setback ... got anymore of those glorious old Airfix box art images lurking anywhere ?

major_setback
09-27-2011, 06:21 AM
major_setback ... got anymore of those glorious old Airfix box art images lurking anywhere ?

Yes, I have quite a few of them. I'll post them a a later date, when I get time to upload them. Here are a couple I already uploaded to Photobucket:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/dbs_Roy_Cross_Celebration_Of_Flight_15.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/0-Art-by-Roy-Cross-MkI-RAF-54Sqn-KL-B-P9390-Celebration-of-Flight-41-0A.jpg

IvanK
09-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Brilliant stuff thank you.

He111
09-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Great pictures! Reminds me when I was a kid! :grin: nothing like a great image to sell something!

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah me too,I loved seeing these as a kid,we did'nt have computers back then in the seventies when I grew up,but we did have Airfix,and pics like these really made you want to go and buy that kit,superb.

Voyager
09-27-2011, 09:03 PM
I think a lot of people would be very disappointed with flying the Fairey Battle. It is basically a bigger, slower Hurricane, with less bomb load, and two guns. It was not a fighter/bomber; it only had a single forward firing .303, and one in the tail, and its top speed was 250 mph. It looks cool, but you are a sitting duck.

If you really feel compelled to fly it, your best bet is to downloaded for MS Flight sim or X-Planes, and buzz around in it. It really is not a fun plane to fly more than once. The only value I could see for it would be as a nonflyable for the very early stages of the war.

The Sunderland would be a more fun plane to fly. It was highly successful as a sub-hunter, and had some wild, successful, dogfights with German heavy fighters, that could be made into showcase missions.

mazex
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Roy Cross Airfix box art:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/dbs_Roy_Cross_Celebration_Of_Flight_03.jpg

He he - remember building that kit in the late 70:ies or maybe early 80:ies ;) Light blue plastic if I remember it correctly :)

EDIT - and I built the Airfix Mossie and Spit you posted too. Bought the Mossie at the Hendon museum shop... Fond memories from days past since long ;) And while the memories are flowing I think that the Airfix Spit was my first ever plastic model... Must have been in 1978 or 1979. Right that image I used to try drawing myself as my first drawing of and aircraft in 3D - got lot of respect from the kids at school for not doing a 2D profile like all the others...

Tavingon
09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I just want to fly around in it, to try and recreate that famous bridge attack in france

Tavingon
09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums/images12/30.gif
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/boxart/airfix/airfix_battle.jpg

JG52Krupi
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
You do realize it was a terrible terrible aircraft? :confused: :D

ElAurens
09-28-2011, 04:57 PM
So?

Some of the most fun I've had in this series is doing "impossible" things with the old, odd, under performing, "crap planes" in the set.

Bagging an La5fn with a CR 42 when the La5 was truly uber.

Bagging an Me 262 with a Buffalo.

Bagging multiple F6Fs with a Ki 27.

Bagging 109 K4s with a P40.

Flying an IL2 like a fighter, and winning.

Not everyone subscribes to the "War Clouds" 1944 mind set you know.

JG52Krupi
09-28-2011, 05:00 PM
So?

Some of the most fun I've had in this series is doing "impossible" things with the old, odd, under performing, "crap planes" in the set.

Bagging an La5fn with a CR 42 when the La5 was truly uber.

Bagging an Me 262 with a Buffalo.

Bagging multiple F6Fs with a Ki 27.

Bagging 109 K4s with a P40.

Flying an IL2 like a fighter, and winning.

Not everyone subscribes to the "War Clouds" 1944 mind set you know.

Of course I was only joking... but at least some of the aircraft you mentioned were deemed okay at some point in the war while the battle was just rubbish from the start :(

mazex
09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I just want to fly around in it, to try and recreate that famous bridge attack in france

And alter history by not getting shot to pieces over the bridge but on the way back instead?

Have to admit I would like to try that mission too - talk about heroes against all odds... The problem is that I don't think they even realized how brave they where as the RAF still believed the Battle would be able to survive an attack like that. Or I sincerely hope they did...

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Yep,it got a right mauling by the Luftwaffe,and they got slaughtered over the Maastrict bridge attack by accurate AA guns,but some of us do like the historic element.

I know where Tavingon is coming from,I'd also like to replicate the Maastrict Bridge attack,see if I could get my Squadron through a barrage of Nazi AA guns,to bomb a vital bridge and get them back home again,what a challenge,great stuff.:-)

Tavingon
09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I'd like to dogfight a battle against a stuka

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-28-2011, 05:55 PM
:shock::shock::shock:...........Easy tiger!

Tavingon
09-30-2011, 10:08 PM
The battle can't be worse than the stuka surely? Probably not as robust though!

AWL_Spinner
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
In terms of missions flown and aircraft numbers in the early war I'd think the Hampden (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=14493&highlight=Hampden) is the most unsung and under-represented of all the RAF types. A key player in the battle of the barges that preceded the potential Battle-of-Britain endgame, Operation Sealion.

Would love to see one in CLoD.

senseispcc
10-01-2011, 02:40 PM

The Stuka was not so robust and when caught by fighters an easy prey. Even the Soviet triple A was a dangerous foe for the Ju87 how was slow and not well armored.

mazex
10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
In terms of missions flown and aircraft numbers in the early war I'd think the Hampden (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=14493&highlight=Hampden) is the most unsung and under-represented of all the RAF types. A key player in the battle of the barges that preceded the potential Battle-of-Britain endgame, Operation Sealion.

Would love to see one in CLoD.

+ 1 And it sure has a special look too...

Will gladly pay 10$ for it RoF style...

Mazex

Voyager
10-02-2011, 03:38 PM

The Stuka is more heavily armed with twice the machine guns, and only marginally slower than the Battle, so yes, the Battle is a worse fighter than the Stuka was. The Stuka also had a better power to weight ratio, though the Battle did have a lower wingloading.

Tavingon
11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Tha fairey battle is very much in demand..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQwsuUquTc

zakkandrachoff
11-29-2011, 10:15 PM
this motherfukka: 109F that is a firend of argentina: adolf Galland http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/IT0053.jpg:-P