PDA

View Full Version : Complex engine managment help

LcSummers
04-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Hi guys

trying the CEM i have some questions.

Wich is the best, or what is the best way to show me oil and water radiator?

I have set them in the keymapping (maybe wrong key?) but the game is not showing me those little controls. I have only throttle, mixture and prop pitch wich i can use but the other two controls are not working. :confused:

Wich is the right key mapping??

Cheers

LcSummers
04-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Now its working correct.:-P

BlackbusheFlyer
04-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Just for benefit of others, you need to enable the Temperature effects to get use of the radiator controls.

Rattlehead
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Maybe we could turn this into the thread for all those seeking info and advice on CEM?
I am not flying with it enabled currenty, but in time it's something I want to try for sure.

But it looks quite daunting. :(

whoarmongar
04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
CEM, Im a complete noob on this so Im perfectly happy to be corrected, however I find this the most immersive part of the game,and I notice most online servers use it so its best to try and learn it.
Firstly, try to learn one type of plane first, switching between aircraft types will just confuse you.
Second stick to a single engine plane to start with.
Following this advice I would start with a Spit, coz the hurricane has the sane engine and so is basically very similar ( mixture lever bugs and different props apart)

So starting the Spit
1: MIXTURE RICH,lever back

2.PITCH FINE

3:RADIATOR OPEN

4:FUEL COCK OPEN

5:SET THROTTLE SLIGHTLY OPEN,

6:MAGNETOS ON, theres two of these to switch on,

At this point your aircraft is primed to start, it has fuel electic and just needs the engine to turn to fire up.

7: IGNITION, The start button your engine should start up and tick over

At this point YOU CANNOT just open the throttle and zoom off down the runway !
WAIT.
Let your engine warm up, Hold it on the brakes and open your throttle up, If It coughs falters or dies its still to cold.
Once ready just open up the throttle and take off.
Having climbed to a fair altitude throttle back, you dont want to burnout that engine,
You should close your rad a bit, just keep an eye on temps
Nows the time to play with the prop pitch, Its variable so as you move it you will hear the engine slow as it tries to move that prop against all that extra air its trying to screw itself thru. Consider this the "gearbox" of your aircraft. With time you will find yourself using prop pitch more or as much as your throttle, fine pitch is first gear, gives better response, coarse pitch is top gear much better for cruising. The "best" pitch at any given time is probably some where in between.
Altitude. has to be considered in engine management. The higher you go the thinner the air, the two major effects for you to consider are
1 Pitch, At higher alltitude your Prop will "Grab" more air in course pitch
2 Mix , At higher altitude the comparative mix in your carb is getting richer this fuel/air mix can be adjusted to "lean" in the spit the lever goes FORWARDS. The most important thing to remember is that a TO LEAN MIX will KILL YOUR ENGINE and that those cucial points of the game i,e TAKEOFF,LANDING and COMBAT you want a RICH mix.
Remember Use pitch to regulate your speed, after a while you will notice the spit potters along nicely at 250-280 at relatively low revs CEM is very satisfying once you get the hang of it
I Hope this helps any follow noobs, we dont all have the advantage of years of flying IL2

Rattlehead
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all that info. :)

I think I will dip my foot in the water tonight, so to speak.

BlackbusheFlyer
04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
To be honest, for the moment I would recommend flying without CEM. There is a significant bug with control inputs (at least can confirm on Spitfire IIa) which makes running with CEM difficult and a bit pointless over time. Thread is here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21096&page=6).

I hope this is hot fixed.

kingpinda
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
To be honest, for the moment I would recommend flying without CEM. There is a significant bug with control inputs (at least can confirm on Spitfire IIa) which makes running with CEM difficult and a bit pointless over time. Thread is here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21096&page=6).

I hope this is hot fixed.

I have no such issues. But I know that antromorphic thingy thing is bugged. maybe this in combination with CEM is what you mean. Have you tried it with antromorphic thingy thing off?

BlackbusheFlyer
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes Anthromorphic is off.. no idea how this problem can affect some but not others.

kingpinda
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
black I just reread your experience in that other thread. Please don't be offended but I take it you have gone through ALL the axes that you assigned and made sure that by fiddling with the bars that appear below in the control page -> axes tab: input and output bar are the same? or as near as possible?

Rattlehead
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I have tried CEM and so far nothing has blown up.:)

I have a couple of questions though:

1) First time around, I did everything by the book (I hope) but for some reason my plane didn't really go anywhere, even with the throttle wide open.
(My brakes were disengaged.)
I shut down the engine and tried again, and this time it took off okay. Any reason why I could not take off the first time?

2) After a few minutes of flight, I got oil all over my windshield. What did I do wrong?

3) What is a magneto and what does it do?

4) Can I fly with my radiator open all the time? I can understand in freezing weather the need to close it, but what about in warm conditions? What about the oil radiator?

5) At one point, my engine went past it's redline. It seemed okay, but obviously this isn't good long term. Can I dogfight with the engine past redline?

6) I also picked up a terrible vibration in the plane that didn't go away. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for any feedback.

BlackbusheFlyer
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
black I just reread your experience in that other thread. Please don't be offended but I take it you have gone through ALL the axes that you assigned and made sure that by fiddling with the bars that appear below in the control page -> axes tab: input and output bar are the same? or as near as possible?

yeah all agrees perfectly, shows movement correctly to min/max. I have been playing with the hurricane.. it seems better. I am now suspecting that the problem maybe with the Spit IIa.

Gollum
04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I have tried CEM and so far nothing has blown up.:)

I have a couple of questions though:

1) First time around, I did everything by the book (I hope) but for some reason my plane didn't really go anywhere, even with the throttle wide open.
(My brakes were disengaged.)
I shut down the engine and tried again, and this time it took off okay. Any reason why I could not take off the first time?

2) After a few minutes of flight, I got oil all over my windshield. What did I do wrong?

3) What is a magneto and what does it do?

4) Can I fly with my radiator open all the time? I can understand in freezing weather the need to close it, but what about in warm conditions? What about the oil radiator?

5) At one point, my engine went past it's redline. It seemed okay, but obviously this isn't good long term. Can I dogfight with the engine past redline?

6) I also picked up a terrible vibration in the plane that didn't go away. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for any feedback.

1) not sure.

2) Overheating - radiator may have been closed, RPMs may have been high. (use prop pitch to keep RPM around 2750 RPM.)

3) Magneto creates high voltage for for firing the engine ( kinda like spark plug )

4) open radiator creates drag and will slow the plane. Finding a balance is the goal.

5) Never want RPM past 3000, not only is this inefficient and will not produce best speed but will destroy motor within seconds. Best RPM sapposed to be around 2750 for merlin engines.

6) Not sure, could have been from damaging engine components. I think everyone gets the shake now and then form over modeled negative G effects on the carborator. Not sure if it has been confirmed yet. Either that or I have been getting hit with turbulence every 30 seconds or so.

My question to all of you is:

How do you turn the "boost cut off". there is a command for "boost cut-off" so I assumed this was a toggle but when I hit it it only turns the boost cut off on. I hit it again and nuthing. How do you turn the boost cut off off?

-Gollum

whoarmongar
04-12-2011, 06:10 PM
FAO Rattlehead

1, dunno ,

2, you damaged your engine, if you havnt changed mix, prob overrun the revs

3 magneto gives you spark for spark plugs

4 radiator cools engine but produces drag so slows you down, its another balancing act

5 redline short periods best to try avoiding it

6 vibration usually bad pitch or mix its all trial and error really just ten mins ago i took of as normal and I guess I overeved the engine lost all power and crashed before i could get back to base. A time previous I changed pitch too early and the engine just died on me. damned engines are very sensitive in this game thats a cert.

Rattlehead
04-12-2011, 06:11 PM
4) open radiator creates drag and will slow the plane. Finding a balance is the goal.

-Gollum

Ah, yes that makes sense. Thanks for your answers.

Rattlehead
04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
6 vibration usually bad pitch or mix its all trial and error really.

Thank you.

whoarmongar
04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Gollum that boost cut out thingy i dont understand either it seems a once use thing , like breaking a seal, so i guess to stop using you just throttle back. My turn for a question now.
MY COMPASS in the cockpit just isnt right.
Pointing north the sea is on my right side ok
My compass is 90* out, this is on a server dont know how or why this is no wonder i keep getting lost
While over france i steered 270* to get back across the channel but ended up over dutch belgium germany area
And all the time im thinking "soon i will reach the channel". lol.

kingpinda
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
My question to all of you is:

How do you turn the "boost cut off". there is a command for "boost cut-off" so I assumed this was a toggle but when I hit it it only turns the boost cut off on. I hit it again and nuthing. How do you turn the boost cut off off?

-Gollum

Don't know it might be a bug.

Its not really a toggle though. its a slab of metal you push out of the way so the throttle has 110 percent range. Actually... is this supposed to be WEP?

edit Hmm i might be wrong. my only reference for now is the spitfire you fly in the british campaign. I do remember there being a pullout button on another craft. maybe a different spitfire or the hurricane. with the spittfire I have flown the campaign there is no limit or increase in boost just that you can push your throttle up further.

Gollum
04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Don't know it might be a bug.

Its not really a toggle though. its a slab of metal you push out of the way so the throttle has 110 percent range. Actually... is this supposed to be WEP?

Yes it acts as WEP but doesn't function the same way. It is a slab of metal ( or lever that moves it ) but you'd figure you could be able to move it back into place to make sure you don't exceed the standard boost. Maybe you have to throtle back under the normal boost to turn it off. I haven't tried this so I'll do it when i get home.

Gollum
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Tested pulling throttle back before un engaging boost cut out. No go. Think we have a bug on our hands..... unless it actually couldnt be re enguaged, which wouldnt make sense.