PDA

View Full Version : Cannot turn on ground

Luftwaffle
04-11-2011, 06:36 AM
I cannot seem to use the rudder to turn properly when I taxi my plane usually won't let me turn right, I tried in several planes and they all behave the same.
Is there a way turn the tail wheel? I can't find a control for it.
My rudder is working fine in the air.

Maico
04-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I can verify this. I cant turn either.

kingpinda
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Map your axis wheel brake to something. Then brake a little and use the pedals.

people on here explained to me that the way differential brakes for the spitifire and hurricane work as follows: (have not tried any other craft)

Pushing in the wheel brake which is presumably a button, switch on your stick, enables hydraulics to the wheel brakes. then when you push in left rudder it will give brake power to the left wheel (i think). If rudder centered then the same amount of brake power is used for both wheels.

Because the rudder has next to no influence on your direction at low speeds you need to use the brakes to turn.

Hope this helps.

Wolf_Rider
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
you can turn... you just have to be out of the wind to do so

Eldur
04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
I too can't turn around, but my plane does by itself and I can't figure out why. It's parked inside some protective walls and as it turns without me being able to turn it back again, I can't even take off. My mission file is:

[PARTS]
core.100
bob.100
[MAIN]
MAP Land$English_Channel_1940
BattleArea 150000 100000 100000 150000 1000
TIME 12
WeatherIndex 0
CloudsHeight 1000
BreezeActivity 0
ThermalActivity 0
player BoB_LW_JG27_I.000
[splines]
[AirGroups]
BoB_LW_JG27_I.01
[BoB_LW_JG27_I.01]
Flight0 1
Class Aircraft.Bf-109E-3
Formation FINGERFOUR
CallSign 21
Fuel 50
Weapons 0 0
SetOnPark 1
Skill 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3
Aging 0
[BoB_LW_JG27_I.01_Way]
TAKEOFF 272302.85 199705.96 0 0
[CustomChiefs]
[Stationary]
[Buildings]
[BuildingsLinks]

kingpinda
04-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I'd say: re-read my post above a couple of times and try it out. What happens if you brake left and go full throttle? Exactly... you would turn left...

sg1221
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Check to see if the tailwheel is locked .

sg

III/JG11_Simmox
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
yea,seems to be a bug
as you spawn,the plane(s) is moving,so i quickly squeeze both brakes and its stops moving
i find it easier as mentioned to use left or right brake to turn
however,i can turn with rudder,just not as easy and requires more thrust

reflected
04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
But there seems to be no separate left/ right brake on the Spit. It's VERY hard to turn on the ground, but the wind turns my plane rather easily.

Kankkis
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
But there seems to be no separate left/ right brake on the Spit. It's VERY hard to turn on the ground, but the wind turns my plane rather easily.

Yep, yesterday i have the same problem with spit, cannot turn, i give rudder and much trust, no turning?

kingpinda
04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I have done the following: set left brake axes to left toe brake on my rudder and for the right brake the same. inverse them both.

set Wheel brake (both) full to a button. I use my pinky button.

Now when you fly the BF110 you can just use your toe brakes and when you fly spitfire you hold your pinky button and push left or right rudder to activate respective brakes. having rudder in center position will act as normal brake.

Try it. when you throttle up and hold pinky button with pedals centered you won't move. when you hold the pinky button and push in your right rudder (not toe brake) you will turn to the right.

Buzpilot
04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I have done the following: set left brake axes to left toe brake on my rudder and for the right brake the same. inverse them both.

set Wheel brake (both) full to a button. I use my pinky button.

Now when you fly the BF110 you can just use your toe brakes and when you fly spitfire you hold your pinky button and push left or right rudder to activate respective brakes. having rudder in center position will act as normal brake.

Try it. when you throttle up and hold pinky button with pedals centered you won't move. when you hold the pinky button and push in your right rudder (not toe brake) you will turn to the right.

In other words, toe brakes only work in german planes, and english can only use the keyboard button?

kingpinda
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
In other words, toe brakes only work in german planes, and english can only use the keyboard button?

What I was told by other forum members is that indeed there are differences between german and english planes. and that these are modeled in quite precisely.

The spitfire and I think the hurricane as well, have a clutch or something at the bottom of the stick on the control collumn. they hold this down and hydraulics then gives power to the breaking mechanism which is connected to the rudder system. if your rudder is centered then equal force is given to the brakes. if you kick in the rudder to the right more power is given to the right brake.

On your question to "and english can only use the keyboard button" I would say no. in the axes panel there are 3 axes: wheel brake (this one is for both) wheel brake right and wheel brake left.

all three brakes axes work with the german planes plus the keyboard commands. but if you got pedals its realistic to use the left and right brake axes on your toe brakes.

only the wheel brake axes (this one is for both) AND the wheel brake keyboard assignments work for english planes. BUT if you use the axes for wheel brake on a rotary or toe brake then you will have only off and on which acts like a rotary divided in 2 bands. first 50 percent is off and 50 to 100 percent is wheelbrake on. so its realistic to map this to a button.

in german planes you will notice with all 3 wheel brake axes that if you slightly kick in the wheel brake it will say for instance 15 percent brake on and so on.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Map your axis wheel brake to something. Then brake a little and use the pedals.

people on here explained to me that the way differential brakes for the spitifire and hurricane work as follows: (have not tried any other craft)

Pushing in the wheel brake which is presumably a button, switch on your stick, enables hydraulics to the wheel brakes. then when you push in left rudder it will give brake power to the left wheel (i think). If rudder centered then the same amount of brake power is used for both wheels.

Because the rudder has next to no influence on your direction at low speeds you need to use the brakes to turn.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kingpinda,you little beauty,this works a treat,I've mapped my Warthog Hotas pinky button to the full wheel brake and now it's working as it would have done on those old Spits and Hurri's.

Brilliant,it really does turn when you want it too,taxiying is now very quick and easy,and I'm ready for the next 'Scramble',sooooo happy,