PDA

View Full Version : the Blenheim talk

JG53Frankyboy
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
well ,the only allied bombcarrier so far:
i can start the engines, so i didnt forgott the carb preheating ;)

i wait with closed cowling flaps till the oiltemperature has reached at least 30°C.
i put the ruddertrim back in the middle (its far right in default). I activate the boost that my throttle can go through to 110% .
i disabled carb prehating

i am ready to start....... as you can guess the beast want to go right as if there would be beer for free. and the engines are mostly damaged very fast - IF i can keep that thing straight.

With the mixture settings in english planes i have my fight true, as the numbers are saying 0% but put the 3D cockpitlevers are showing full rich......

is there any advice to bring this thing in the air or is it just a thing for the buglist?

bando
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Dito
I cannot get it airborne.
Engines die each time halfway the take off run. Annoying to say the least.

Hope someone with better knowledge appears and enlightens us. :-)

Bando

DC338
04-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Blenheim enignes are porked. I think they have done some tweaking in the patch to be released.

Sokol1
04-09-2011, 05:20 AM
the beast want to go right

Looks at Blenheim tail wheel:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1976/rudderblen.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3927/rudderble.jpg

This still offset to right every with rudder trimmed to left.
In flight the same thing.

The command "Lock tail skid" dont work (Dont find "Lock tail wheel").

Sokol1

whoarmongar
04-09-2011, 05:38 AM
I had the same problem with the Bleheim, Playing "cross country"mission on start it just went right irrespective of any left rudder I applied. So I applied right rudder hoping to go around in a circle to line up again on the runway and then it decided to go left ! Damned thing has a will of its own and is determined to hit that building. Hiting the brakes seems to correct this behavior but its kinda hard to take off with the brakes on. Eventually I got the thing to takeoff by going cross field between building and thru some trees. In flight no problems. It seems to be some weird "on ground waypoint issue" I just put it down to a bug with the Blenheim but later on had the same thing happen with a Spit in multiplayer, In trying to taxi around some obstacles once off the runway the Spit developed the same behavior

bando
04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
So you did not brake your engines?
How did you do this.
My engines always die halfway the runway.

Blackdog_kt
04-09-2011, 08:11 PM
The engines break for me too while in flight if i use high boost settings. The only advice i can offer until we have some documentation for CEM is not to use the extra boost (so, set the boost cut-out to off, the cockpit lever should be pointing upwards) or use it only if you gradually and slowly throttle up.
In my test flight it seemed that abrupt power changes break the oil gaskets and that's not entirely unrealistic, considering that my oil temps were a mere 40 degrees tops (cold oil is more dense and it can break pipelines and so on if an increased flow is forced suddenly).

In general, the radials seem more sensitive to temperature effects and you can even have them almost stall on you or run very rough if you throttle down during a long descent (had this happen in the G.50). I just don't know if this is due to spark plug fouling from prolonged idle or due to shock cooling.

However, the Blenheim can easily do 150mph on just -2 psi boost and 2300RPM, which would indicate that the extra boost is to be used only in emergency situations.
Wikipedia states 200mph as the cruise speed for the Canadian-built Bolingbroke version of the Mk.IV (which is what our in-game version is modeled after) and i managed to get it to 150mph with very conservative power values,without knowing the proper power settings and while loaded with 90% fuel and four 250lb bombs, so it seems that it's not exactly short of power. I guess if we knew the operating limits for the engines we could do even better.

As for why it keeps turning in the cross-country mission, it could be that this mission has wind on the airfield. Taildragger aircraft always want to turn into the into the wind if left unattended, so it might be a factor?

bando
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks Blackdog_kt, will give it a go. I'll setup a mission within the FMB to make sure the wind is the culprit.

EDIT:

Made my own mission without wind and tried to take off in the Blennheim.
First of all; rudder is trimmed all the way to the right when entering the Blennheim. Don't know why, but you have to correct it. Second: Tail wheel lock does not work.
Started her engines and after a minute or so stopped the carb heat for both. Had pitch halfway travel (60% or so) as well as mixture (50%) and let the engines run warm. There is a significant difference between Stbd and port engines in oil pressure. Again I don't know why. After some 10 - 15 minutes (made some coffee) I figured those engines where warmed up sufficiently and I pushed up some throttle slowly. Kept the brakes on till I saw some RPM indicator rise.
This mission had no wind and the aircrafts rudder was trimmed neutral, resulting in no right drift anymore!! Was able to slowly rev up, let go of the brakes and made a slow run for take off. Engines were doing some 2200 rpm, pitch at some 60% travel and flaps down, I finally got her up. Raised gear, climbed some and retracted flaps. I couldn't believe it, but there I was flying over southern England at 1900 on a summers evening. Awesome!!

It's a tricky plane for sure. Tried a couple of times after this success and mostly blew up engines again. Well, at least I got her to fly once.

Hope it helps someone fine tuning the take off techniques for this beautiful aircraft.