PDA

View Full Version : Massive FPS increase with Resolution decrese (?)

Shadylurker
04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I was just curious why this is, I know in theory why, But is it known why this makes such a massive difference in this game?

EDIT: Whoa quick update i didnt enjoy playing windowed with 1024x768 so i changed the ini to almost full screen window, my fps full screen were 20 over water. with the only thing changed was window mode im over 100fps now in the same spot!

EDIT 2: Problem is fixed by forcing my GPU to max clocks. Game would not make my GPU move from it's idle clocks (300/300mhz) Now that my GPU runs at max clocks (925/1125) all the time the game runs great.

Fuchs
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM
no multi thread support, overload for GPU, lot of possibilities...

PE_Tigar
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
That does look suspicious - I remember when the only way to run Il-2 in Win 7 Beta was to run it in windowed mode (with the window equal to the screen res).

Anvilfolk
04-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Well, if you go from a resolution of 1920x1080 to 1600x900, you get 70% of the pixels you had originally. If you go down to 1280x720, you get only 44% of the pixels you had originally. The graphics card has to render all the pixels... if it has less than half of them, at least creating the image and sending it to the screen should be around twice as fast.

Of course there's all the computation that you need to do either way, but I think post processing effects are applied to every single pixel. Anti-aliasing and pixel shaders are some examples. The less pixels you have, the faster it goes.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I don't get why so many people complain. I don't think I've ever played a game with AA on, or pixel shaders on max. Or over 1280x720 for that matter. It's not that bad. People are complaining about not being able to have AAx8 or whatever it is, heh.

maclean525
04-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Modern games run on my rig at 5760x1080 with graphics on high and 4x anti-aliasing, 8x anisotropic filtering around 60fps no problems. Cliffs of Dover should be no exception. FSX, A10, Wings of Prey, Rise of Flight all run at that res with ZERO problems.

FZG_Immel
04-07-2011, 01:06 AM
I noticed this too....

I can triple my FPS from FLL screen 1920x1080 to windowed 1280x720...

I understand the gain, by less pixel, but it should not be that much..

in DCS A-10C you gain 15% max by doing such a thing...

brp51d
04-07-2011, 02:42 AM
How do you set res for window?

Cpt.Badger
04-07-2011, 04:41 AM
I don't get why so many people complain. I don't think I've ever played a game with AA on, or pixel shaders on max. Or over 1280x720 for that matter. It's not that bad. People are complaining about not being able to have AAx8 or whatever it is, heh.

:eek:

On the serious side: if you haven't really played a game with AA, I strongly suggest you do, as it makes A LOT of difference.

And people are not complaining about not being able to have AAx8. People are complaining about not getting a playable FPS on high end rigs. That is a big difference.

FZG_Immel
04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
How do you set res for window?

just alt tab, and resize the window with your mouse !

machoo
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I tried running COD at 1024x768. Looks and playes amazing. Too bad I need a microfying glass to see whats happening.

mcmatt
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Memory (on graphic card) is in direct relationship with resolution. Higher resolution, more memory. And since in game is graphic memory problem for cards with 1GB and lower ...

Michael Nielsen
04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I´ve always downloaded drivers from nVidia.com, no exception this time - made sure I had the latest drivers for my Geforce 330 before installing CoD.
The game was still unplayable on my i5 3,2 GHz with 6 GB RAM, 1 Gb 330.

A couple of days ago I was just fooling around, and for some reason I though why not chech for updates via Device Manager in Control Panel. Not sure where Windows finds these updates, but it did find something, and obviously not from nvidia.com. Downloaded a rather big update, and now I can actually - to a certain degree - play the game at medium settings.

I´ve also noticed increased FPS in windowed mode, but the game crashes to desktop every single time I try :( (I´ll do some more testing when I get home tomorrow, perhaps setting the windowed resolution to the same as my screen will do the trick)

Anyway, just an idea for those of you with geforce cards, perhaps the nvidia-drivers aren´t optimal for this game for some reason.

Cheers
-Michael

666th_Lange
04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
It all depends on what you like or not. If i haven't have AA enabled then the screen shimmers like hell (even in the TrackIR screen i have AA enabled because otherwise it shimmers), so for me this is a must. But it's all perception and taste. I had a discussion a while ago around yes/no ClearType fonts. That's also an endless discussion about +/- the same thing. In the end it's mostly taste what drives people to make a certain visual setup work for them. And then there is a big difference between ATI and NVIDIA cards in this matter.

Modern games run on my rig at 5760x1080 with graphics on high and 4x anti-aliasing, 8x anisotropic filtering around 60fps no problems. Cliffs of Dover should be no exception. FSX, A10, Wings of Prey, Rise of Flight all run at that res with ZERO problems.
Well, just have a go at 5760x1080 with everyhing on HIGH in Cliffs Of Dover. Not in your life atm it will run with ZERO problems. Current hardware isn't just up for that yet to let Cliffs Of Dover perform that way. BTW, you can't even set any graphical improvement like AA, AS etc... COD dos not respond to those settings (yet).

Anvilfolk
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Heh, those are good points, Badger and Lange. I guess I'm just used to playing games on low settings. But I've gotten the idea that people have been reluctant to lower their resolution, and fiddle instead with the other settings. Aren't most people still trying to run this at 1080?

I'd probably use AA if I had a computer that could handle it. What is this shimmering though? I don't think I understand. I might know what that is, but that's usually related to using non-standard resolutions, or a different aspect ratio "stretched" to your screen, so you should be able to get around it if it is indeed the case.

What mcmatt said makes a whole lot of sense. If you don't have enough memory on your graphics card, everything starts going much, much slower. It might just be that other games don't use as much memory, and so switching to a lower resolution doesn't have the same impact as going from needing too much memory to having enough memory. Just another guess...

mcmatt
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
It might just be that other games don't use as much memory, and so switching to a lower resolution doesn't have the same impact as going from needing too much memory to having enough memory. Just another guess...

I believe that COD doesn't use graphic memory wisely and it's not emptying it. So it become full. And then problems begins.

Purg
04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Heh, those are good points, Badger and Lange. I guess I'm just used to playing games on low settings. But I've gotten the idea that people have been reluctant to lower their resolution, and fiddle instead with the other settings. Aren't most people still trying to run this at 1080?

Most people are probably playing on LCD and want to run the native resolution of the monitor. If you don't run at native resolution, text in particular can be harder to read and images can appear blurry.

The reason lower resolutions work is the fact that it's not having to draw as many pixels. It's a no brainer.

At the moment, I can fly solo in a 800x600 window over water, settings low with my GTX295 card. Add anything else and I get stutters and sub 20 frames. I hope the SLI fix will allow me to do more than fly in circles over water - until then, the game is pretty much useless to me.. though, given the several premium titles I picked up in March, I'll live with the wait. :)

Oldschool61
04-07-2011, 06:15 PM
:eek:

And people are not complaining about not being able to have AAx8. People are complaining about not getting a playable FPS on high end rigs. That is a big difference.

With HIGH resolutions. Having high resolution is in effect almost the same as having AA on. If you use one you dont really need the other. High res and AA both dramatically drop FPS so why use both if it makes game unplayable??

From Tomshardware
Game aliens vs Pred. Resolution 1680x1050
GPU HD6850 fps with 4XAA = 40.7 fps without AA= 63.6
GTX460 fps with 4XAA = 35.2 fps without AA= 58.6
GTX550Ti fps with 4XAA = 31.9 fps without AA= 49
As you can clearly see from the numbers above that by turning OFF AA you can have a significant boost in fps. Most gpus have nearly a 50% increase in fps by going from 4XAA to no AA.
Thats the same as in CLoD going from 20fps to 30 or more fps just from turning off AA. Imagine if you also lowered your resolution it might almost be playable now.

666th_Lange
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd probably use AA if I had a computer that could handle it. What is this shimmering though? I don't think I understand. I might know what that is, but that's usually related to using non-standard resolutions, or a different aspect ratio "stretched" to your screen, so you should be able to get around it if it is indeed the case.

Shimmering is the flickering of fences, powerlines, single line edges on textures etc... If no AA is used, these flicker a lot when the "environment" is in motion. The more AA you set, the less shimmering you have (in my gaming experience through the years, nVidia cards suffer more from this then ATI cards but then ATI's have/had other issues). AA smoothes out jagged lines.

This article (http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html) explains both AA and AF but the provided pictures are rather small.

Thee_oddball
04-08-2011, 12:14 AM
1360x768 medium settings with low land,forest and visual effects and buildings set very low i am getting around 55fps while attacking 4 bombers over land on the channel map in DF server :) changing resolution to 1600x1200 drops me down to 32-38 fps but still playable :).

Oldschool61
04-08-2011, 12:19 PM
1360x768 medium settings with low land,forest and visual effects and buildings set very low i am getting around 55fps while attacking 4 bombers over land on the channel map in DF server :) changing resolution to 1600x1200 drops me down to 32-38 fps but still playable :).

So when going from 1360 x 768(55fps) to 1600x1200 (35fps) you lose over 50% of your fps. Thats a 36% reduction, very significant or an increase of 57% from high to lower res.

Imagine if you were running AA and you turned that off as well you would almost have another increase of 25-50% fps in some instances.

kubanskiloewe
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I tried running COD at 1024x768. Looks and playes amazing. Too bad I need a microfying glass to see whats happening.

take a old 21" or more CRT for little money and enjoy

I run it in Window on 1280x800 with an outdated P4 ; enough for a quick play or testing.

but i noticed a huge fps drop from outside view (30-50fps!) to inside the cockpit (only 15-22fps)....and fps didn´t increase on reargunnerposition or looking straight to the sky without any cockpitstructure insight.

any idea or solution for that behaviour ?? could be the immense Pilot or Gunner textures (4mb ?) the reason...loaded still in background ???

Formula88
04-19-2011, 09:42 PM
If you have a mid to high range PC then playing at 1920x1080 should not be a problem. I can run it pretty well except when flying over London, there the FPS is still playable but I wouldnt want to dogfight like that.

I have to disagree with the statement some make about not needing AA in a game if you set the resolution high enough. Even at 1920x1080 there are still alot of jagged edges especially on aircraft at medium/long distance. Personally if I see jaggies in my games I feel that I've just wasted alot of money on a PC and might as well just play on an XBOX...4x AA is a must for me.
Anistropic filtering is nice, but the effects of this arent as noticable as AA is and I can live with that on 4x or even off if it has some performance gains.
AA doesnt seem to work with CoD right now so there is no choice but to deal with it. Alot of the people complaining about FPS on these forums seem to have really dated hardware and I have no sympathy for that, get a job, make some money and keep your system up to date if you want to play the latest games with the eye candy on.

However, there are also alot of reports of low FPS on high end systems as well so hardware cannot be entirely to blame here. Considering how many things are actually broken in this sim I am not surprised at all to find it poorly optimized. This is the way of the industry it now seems. For me the game is very playable on all medium settings, with high model and damage decal settings. My specs, while not killer, are mid range.

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Motherboard
AMD Phenom2 965 BE Quad@3.6ghz
8GB ADATA gaming series RAM@1333 CL9
ATI 5770 Vid card by Asus
1000W bronze PSU
Asetek 120mm Liquid CPU cooler Push/pull
AZZA Solano Full tower w/9 fans including Kingston RAM cooler
Some Green, Red and Blue LED lights to make everything pretty

Oldschool61
04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
If you have a mid to high range PC then playing at 1920x1080 should not be a problem. I can run it pretty well except when flying over London, there the FPS is still playable but I wouldnt want to dogfight like that.

I have to disagree with the statement some make about not needing AA in a game if you set the resolution high enough. Even at 1920x1080 there are still alot of jagged edges especially on aircraft at medium/long distance. Personally if I see jaggies in my games I feel that I've just wasted alot of money on a PC and might as well just play on an XBOX...4x AA is a must for me.
Anistropic filtering is nice, but the effects of this arent as noticable as AA is and I can live with that on 4x or even off if it has some performance gains.
AA doesnt seem to work with CoD right now so there is no choice but to deal with it. Alot of the people complaining about FPS on these forums seem to have really dated hardware and I have no sympathy for that, get a job, make some money and keep your system up to date if you want to play the latest games with the eye candy on.

However, there are also alot of reports of low FPS on high end systems as well so hardware cannot be entirely to blame here. Considering how many things are actually broken in this sim I am not surprised at all to find it poorly optimized. This is the way of the industry it now seems. For me the game is very playable on all medium settings, with high model and damage decal settings. My specs, while not killer, are mid range.

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Motherboard
AMD Phenom2 965 BE Quad@3.6ghz
8GB ADATA gaming series RAM@1333 CL9
ATI 5770 Vid card by Asus
1000W bronze PSU
Asetek 120mm Liquid CPU cooler Push/pull
AZZA Solano Full tower w/9 fans including Kingston RAM cooler
Some Green, Red and Blue LED lights to make everything pretty

If you turned down your resolution you could play with ALL HIGH settings

335th_GRAthos
04-19-2011, 10:43 PM
take a old 21" or more CRT for little money and enjoy

I run it in Window on 1280x800 with an outdated P4 ; enough for a quick play or testing.

but i noticed a huge fps drop from outside view (30-50fps!) to inside the cockpit (only 15-22fps)....and fps didn´t increase on reargunnerposition or looking straight to the sky without any cockpitstructure insight.

any idea or solution for that behaviour ?? could be the immense Pilot or Gunner textures (4mb ?) the reason...loaded still in background ???

Usually I would say that you still have the Spitfire's mirror on and forgot to press M to removed it (gains about 8 fps) but I know you fly Bf109s ;-)

I have exactly the opposite: lower fps external view (above ground) than inside.
The only thing could imagine in your case is that your card has too little VRAM and it gets overloaded by the graphics in the cockpit. Maybe if you press F10 to disable the interactive cocpit your fps will pick up (just a thought).

~S~

kubanskiloewe
04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Usually I would say that you still have the Spitfire's mirror on and forgot to press M to removed it (gains about 8 fps) but I know you fly Bf109s ;-)

I have exactly the opposite: lower fps external view (above ground) than inside.
The only thing could imagine in your case is that your card has too little VRAM and it gets overloaded by the graphics in the cockpit. Maybe if you press F10 to disable the interactive cocpit your fps will pick up (just a thought).

~S~

thx for reply.... meanwhile i´m flying more red planes and be sure i disabled any mirror in IL2 and here....makes near 10fps...than i got the most fps in spifire cockpit without mirror with 25-30fps (best playable)
109 cockpit 23-25.....Hurri cockpit 20-23 and the worst is 110 with 17-22

click on Outside view with 6 or more planes rapidly goes up to 40-50 over the nice sea!

but why the heck does fps in cockpit didnt increase even if im looking straight to heaven....??? i think something is bad programmed.

sure outside over a city its still slide show for me (5-10fps) since last patch load much more or alle groundobjects; number of groundobjects in video options doesnt care about that anymore....after first patch it was better (less objects).

got a HIS HD 4670 with 512mb (128bit) old AGP slot and runs pretty good without any graphic mistakes here...mainbord and P4 are the bottleneck; old 2GB DDR 333 Ram on xp+sp3 and DX9c but stable as hell...and clean.

so pls let me know if there are some "news" about huge fps differences between out and insight view or the immense fps drop in cockpit.

kubanskiloewe
04-21-2011, 07:07 PM
find it out now...the reason for those immense fps drops in some cockpits are the soundfiles....when i shut down one engine in the 110 fps rises from 17-22 and with cuttung down the second i got 27fps.

but o wonder i take a look at the soundfiles and whoaaa some are sampled at 2822kb/s and big like 3MB for one of the Merlin .... for the 110 in cockpit are near 10MB soundfiles !

I really hope jafaem can quickly fix that for better compression and better soundfiles too ..... i for myself try to resample them at lower kb/s for increasing fps.

312_Jura
04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
find it out now...the reason for those immense fps drops in some cockpits are the soundfiles....when i shut down one engine in the 110 fps rises from 17-22 and with cuttung down the second i got 27fps.

but o wonder i take a look at the soundfiles and whoaaa some are sampled at 2822kb/s and big like 3MB for one of the Merlin .... for the 110 in cockpit are near 10MB soundfiles !

I really hope jafaem can quickly fix that for better compression and better soundfiles too ..... i for myself try to resample them at lower kb/s for increasing fps.
What makes you so sure it is the sound? Wouldn't a engine physics be a more reasonable explanation with the same symptoms (engine off = no engine calculations)?
Just a thought..
Or is that fps drop only noticeable in cockpit?

kubanskiloewe
04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
it´s only in the cockpit even when looking straight to blue sky without any cockpitstructure insight.

i resampled now only one of the cockpitsound to the half of size at 1411kb/s and now it´s 449kb instead of 899kb original....i´ve got some original sounds from my vid´s and hope to find time to cut and convert....should be still better sounding with less filesize ....seems 705kb/s works

the outside samplefiles all together for the 110 are about 2,5MB instaed of near 10MB ! from the cokpitsounds.... strange

312_Jura
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
i see

Shadylurker
04-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I would like to mention I can play this game fine after forcing my video card to max clocks, and its a 1gb 6850. The reason I had massive improvements with lowered screen resolution is because it wasnt making my video card move from it's idle clocks. So i was playing with my GPU clocks at 300mhz/300mhz. Now that they are 925/1125 while the game is running i can run at 60+fps

Gryphon_
04-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Run the 'GPU Observer' Windows 7 Gadget to see how much video memory you are using at each resolution. As soon as your video memory in use is comfortably below the video memory on your card, you might see stutter free performance. AA and AF will consume more video memory so unless you have over 1Gb on your card turn those off first.

too-cool
04-24-2011, 09:18 PM

What mcmatt said makes a whole lot of sense. If you don't have enough memory on your graphics card, everything starts going much, much slower. It might just be that other games don't use as much memory, and so switching to a lower resolution doesn't have the same impact as going from needing too much memory to having enough memory. Just another guess...

What machine did they test this game on, the latest and greatest computer parts installed in one machine can't run this game with out making major adjustments. I would like to know what planet they purchased their parts from. TC

GOZR
04-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Lol..