PDA

View Full Version : Heading Indicator

Redroach
04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
As already mentioned in another thread, in the Hurricane (as well as in the Tiger Moth, can't comment on others), it's pretty much impossible to navigate by anything else as by the minimap with activated icons. The magnetic compass is so badly obscured it's pretty much unreadable and, as a consequence, you can't put the right heading into the gyro compass.
The only thing I've been able to do about this is going full aileron left/right in order to see the magnetic compass, and then to zoom in by mouse. Aside from hand/finger acrobatics, this can, obviously, only be done on the ground and, additionally, it's quite inaccurate.

Now, I can live with most other bugs somehow, but this is the very thing which annoys me the most - as it's a huge step backwards for me who has already done successful navigation without any minimap icons and by radio beacons in Il-2 1946 4.11. I hope this is remedied rather soon. I noticed that the Hurricane and the Tiger Moth have the same, 'ship-style' magnetic compass so it could very well be that these are only placeholders for now.

So, to solve this annoyance, I'd lobby for bringing back the Heading indicator, as it was in 1946 (red letters in the lower-left corner, possibly with the additional G warning, too).
Or maybe somebody has already a working, convenient solution for that... could it be that the heading indicator is already there somewhere, hidden in the Info window options? Again, if somebody has this solved, please let me know! /sadface
Alternatively, I'd love to hear a word from the devs about this, how we're supposed to do advanced navigation and so on.

Redroach
04-06-2011, 05:47 PM
hmm so a quick solution doesn't seem to be possible :(

FAE_Cazador
04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Same for the Spitifre, mate, magnetic compass is hidden behind the grip of the stick on the floor and is so badly placed that you can hardly see the numbers even with the close-up dashboard view:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Stilgar07/Fotos%20en%20Foros/DashboardViewSpit.jpg

By the way: is the instrument indicated as "Directional gyro" another magnetic compass or is it just an indicator of the bearing to the next waypoint? It is shown on the Spitfire Manual as "Compass" but it is pointing about to 45º while the little plane on the map is aiming about 300º. Or is this another bug?

whoarmongar
04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Read the thread "Reading your compass in a Spit"
it solved this problem for me

IvanK
04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Its a Directional Gyro that needs its initial datum heading set by the pilot and updated around every 15 mins or so.

1. Set Verge ring on main compass such that the T and N marking are aligned with the needle that has a small cross bar on its end. -------|-- N

2. Now read heading odd the Far side of the compass verge ring.

3.Set this heading on the DG

4. Fly the DG and ignore the compass

5. Every 15 mins repeat the procedure

FAE_Cazador
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Read the thread "Reading your compass in a Spit"
it solved this problem for me

Thanks but I can't find such post using the Search tool of this Forum. Could you please post the link?

Katana1000S
04-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to use this instrument as well as others with the Saitek LCD gauges ... perhaps in a future patch?

BlackbusheFlyer
04-12-2011, 12:16 AM
You want to use the Directional Gyro for your heading, the problem is, like all the instruments it has a hell of a lag and takes a long time to catch up with the actual aircraft, this is a bug which I have reported in another thread.

BlackbusheFlyer
04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Same for the Spitifre, mate, magnetic compass is hidden behind the grip of the stick on the floor and is so badly placed that you can hardly see the numbers even with the close-up dashboard view:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Stilgar07/Fotos%20en%20Foros/DashboardViewSpit.jpg

By the way: is the instrument indicated as "Directional gyro" another magnetic compass or is it just an indicator of the bearing to the next waypoint? It is shown on the Spitfire Manual as "Compass" but it is pointing about to 45º while the little plane on the map is aiming about 300º. Or is this another bug?

Note that your AI is indicating a bank, the directional gyro is turning because the aircraft is turning. Only read the DG when straight and level.

FAE_Boquerón
04-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Here is the link FAE_Cazador:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21107

Un abrazo Angel

FAE_Cazador
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Here is the link FAE_Cazador:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=21107

Un abrazo Angel

Gracias, Enrique

Gollum
04-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Its a Directional Gyro that needs its initial datum heading set by the pilot and updated around every 15 mins or so.

1. Set Verge ring on main compass such that the T and N marking are aligned with the needle that has a small cross bar on its end. -------|-- N

2. Now read heading odd the Far side of the compass verge ring.

3.Set this heading on the DG

4. Fly the DG and ignore the compass

5. Every 15 mins repeat the procedure

Is this serious?, I love complex engine management but theres no option enabled on my screen for "rediculous compass management mode". Do you really have to go through all that to know what direction your flying? What is a verge ring and if the directional giro is behind the stick, where is the main compass?

=69.GIAP=STENKA
04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
You want to use the Directional Gyro for your heading, the problem is, like all the instruments it has a hell of a lag and takes a long time to catch up with the actual aircraft, this is a bug which I have reported in another thread.

Actualy both a directional Gyro and a compass in real life have one hell of a lag. When I make any significant manouver it will take easily 30 seconds of level flight to stabilise the compass for a reading. If the Gyro has been toppled by a violent manouver it needs to be caged and reset.