PDA

View Full Version : The sound compared to 1946

Doc_uk
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
1946 With all the great sound Mods: Nothing compares, simple the best:)
Cliffs of dover, Not good at all:( Time will tell
two words: Allison&Merlin, says it all:grin:
Regards
Josh

Fritz X
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Your statement basically is correct, but...

Don't you think that your initial comparison is flatout bad?

You compare >modded< 1946 sound with >stock< CoD sound. Compare stock sound and stock sound to each other, then judge again.

ChrisDNT
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
As for the textures, sound files able to be open by modders NOW !!!

ChrisDNT
04-05-2011, 08:18 PM
"You compare >modded< 1946 sound with >stock< CoD sound. Compare stock sound and stock sound to each other, then judge again."

I think you don't understand the situation.

A game issued in 2011 must have, by nature, better sounds than a modded game from ten years ago.

So, easy measure, let the sounds be modded NOW !!!

Doc_uk
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Your statement basically is correct, but...

Don't you think that your initial comparison is flatout bad?

You compare >modded< 1946 sound with >stock< CoD sound. Compare stock sound and stock sound to each other, then judge again.
Yes your right thats why i put
Cliffs of dover, Not good at all TIME WILL TELL
wasnt really having a dig

Redroach
04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know why everybody chastises CoD sound - I actually happen to like it, especially the "dynamic" components. You can actually *hear* if your crate runs at the right mixture and such - and while modded 1946 sounds are, by themselves, really great, I can't remember that they are able to reproduce this additional level of immersion.
As of now, I prefer CoD sounds, to be perfectly honest.

The sound configuration options in CoD, on the other hand.... ;)

Doc_uk
04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't know why everybody chastises CoD sound - I actually happen to like it, especially the "dynamic" components. You can actually *hear* if your crate runs at the right mixture and such - and while modded 1946 sounds are, by themselves, really great, I can't remember that they are able to reproduce this additional level of immersion.
As of now, I prefer CoD sounds, to be perfectly honest.

The sound configuration options in CoD, on the other hand.... ;)
Hmmm ok lol

esmiol
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
you can laugh...it is not wrong chat he said...

sound modded in il2 are really great...but not dynamical like in COD. and sorry but how many time to devellop only the mod sound?

diveplane
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
you can laugh...it is not wrong chat he said...

sound modded in il2 are really great...but not dynamical like in COD. and sorry but how many time to devellop only the mod sound?

dynamic or not it sounds like turds.

MOH_Hirth
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
All sound files ready, but all are from auor unofficial community, maybe cant be used in oficcial patch, just need a permition and opened way and we will can use "Fly by view" sounds (Tiger33) and in/out sounds from Master JAFA.

ElAurens
04-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Guys, you must remember that using "modded" sounds in an official release puts the developer and publisher in legal jeopardy.

Let's face facts here.

Not one person or group that has developed modded sounds for IL2 will say where the sounds come from. Ever wonder why? Because they are ripped from copyrighted material, that's why.

So, you say, just go to an airshow and record some planes.

Sadly it's not that easy. High quality sound recording isn't a cheap thing to do on it's own, much less pay the hourly operating costs for a WW2 era military aircraft and crew, times the number of different aircraft in the sim, if you can even find a flyable one of the type you need to record.

No publisher in the world would front the kind of money it would take to do it because of the limited return on investment they get for PC flight simulations.

I know facts are hard for some here to deal with, but deal with it you must.

David198502
04-06-2011, 06:51 AM
in my opinion the sounds are pretty good while inside the cockpit.and thats all i care for.

Prop~Strike
04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
All sound files ready, but all are from auor unofficial community, maybe cant be used in oficcial patch, just need a permition and opened way and we will can use "Fly by view" sounds (Tiger33) and in/out sounds from Master JAFA.

How about machine guns..... the .303s don't sound very good in my opinion...of course I've never fired any from the cockpit of a fighter, but surely they'd have to sound better than that?!

fireflyerz
04-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Luither has hinted at sound improvement , lets just wait and see....

Blitzpig , you have no idea what you are talking about , please stop repeating that rubbish.

Foo'bar
04-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Blitzpig , you have no idea what you are talking about , please stop repeating that rubbish.

And if nothing will help we still have you ;)

csThor
04-06-2011, 08:09 AM

The only one talking rubbish is you. Copyrights and intellectual property are a major issue for any developer ... Luthier did say before the russian release that their financial resources were too limited to either record their own samples. Not to speak of licensing external sound samples which tells me how FUBAR the situation in that "market" really is (read: too many greedy SOBs around).

Now, what we do on our own PCs is of course of no consequence to anyone but ourselves but for a company such as 1C the only really safe solution is to use own (self-made) stuff. Just to be absolutely sure you won't get sued by someone looking for a quick buck. Or have you forgotten "the Grumman incident"? :roll:

Feathered_IV
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
dynamic or not it sounds like turds.

Dynamic poo.

jimbop
04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
in my opinion the sounds are pretty good while inside the cockpit.and thats all i care for.

+1

fireflyerz
04-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Hmmmm RR take Jafa to court for Merlin recording... same people spouting the same rubbish over and over csThor:rolleyes:

jimbop
04-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Hmmmm RR take Jafa to court for Merlin recording... same people spouting the same rubbish over and over csThor:rolleyes:

RR not the risk but rather whoever took the recording.

reflected
04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
The sounds are acceptable but not good inside the cocpit. External sounds are utter rubbish. Have you guys flown modded IL2, or the A2A addon planes for FSX? I think the sounds we have are placeholders, at least I hope so.

However the MG sounds are good IMO. Geoffrey Wellum described the sound of the 303-s as "like tearing calico". I think it's pretty close to that, at least this is how I imagined it.

Redroach
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
hmm what I don't understand about the latter half of this thread:
Are you talking about the engine sound itself being copyrighted? Or is it about recorded samples taken from some source?
To put it another way: If I go to an airfield with my recording equipment and record some samples, then put it into some mods... that's not illegal, right?

jimbop
04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
hmm what I don't understand about the latter half of this thread:
Are you talking about the engine sound itself being copyrighted? Or is it about recorded samples taken from some source?
To put it another way: If I go to an airfield with my recording equipment and record some samples, then put it into some mods... that's not illegal, right?

Wouldn't have thought it was illegal in any way. I think the problem is that modders generally don't do this but rather rip sounds from commercial or at least copyrighted sources. The devs cannot therefore just pick these sounds up and include them in a commercial product.

fireflyerz
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
With the amount of audio complaint threads , this should be warning enough to devs about what is looming around the corner sooner or later they will have to pull there heads out a the sand and spend some wad , with the introduction of the sound mod some years ago , lawn mowers for spitfires is no longer a legitimate excuse.

csThor
04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Some people (looks at the "post" above) really ought to remove their head from the heap of sand they're currently sticking in, take off the pink-tainted goggles and get some dose of reality for a change.

luthier has already stated that recording own samples was not possible with their budget.

So ... what's not to understand about that? And that they have not licensed other samples tells me that this would also cost too much (for their budget). Is it really that hard to understand? Jeez! :roll:

fireflyerz
04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh dear we are an angry little man :rolleyes:

diveplane
04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
make the audio side of the sim open easy edit .wav format or .ogg
so we can edit the sounds to our liking, or dev team create a .sfs unpacker.

i could get the sounds beautiful ingame.

hoarmurath
04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Some people (looks at the "post" above) really ought to remove their head from the heap of sand they're currently sticking in, take off the pink-tainted goggles and get some dose of reality for a change.

luthier has already stated that recording own samples was not possible with their budget.

So ... what's not to understand about that? And that they have not licensed other samples tells me that this would also cost too much (for their budget). Is it really that hard to understand? Jeez! :roll:

What's hard to understand, is why the game is designed with a closed sound system where changing the sounds can't be done easily by modding.

You know you don't have the ressources to make good sounds, and you know the community could do better, at no cost for you. Why not let them do it?

Blackdog_kt
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
External sounds need work, true.

The in-cockpit sounds are fine in my humble opinion. Even if we had a mod-pack i'd probably use the stock sounds for the cockpit views because they help me operate the engines properly without looking at the instruments.

Modded sounds are generally great, but unless they are completely dynamic they are not useful for flying with full CEM. This is not an issue for IL2 where nothing overheats or breaks in a realistic manner and that's why i use mods in that, but it's a totally different story with CoD.

Good or bad, the in-cockpit sounds in CoD let the engines talk to me and that's a big plus when flying full switch with just an ancient sidewinder precision pro stick and nothing else.

andmcq
04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Forget what the devs do with the sound, what we need (and I assume this will happen because this is a mod-friendly kind of game) is for a sound pack mod. The sounds ATM in this game are easily the worst quality I've heard in the last decade. Really, really bad, the game sounds almost sound monotone??

Redroach
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
External sounds need work, true.

The in-cockpit sounds are fine in my humble opinion. Even if we had a mod-pack i'd probably use the stock sounds for the cockpit views because they help me operate the engines properly without looking at the instruments.

Modded sounds are generally great, but unless they are completely dynamic they are not useful for flying with full CEM. This is not an issue for IL2 where nothing overheats or breaks in a realistic manner and that's why i use mods in that, but it's a totally different story with CoD.

Good or bad, the in-cockpit sounds in CoD let the engines talk to me and that's a big plus when flying full switch with just an ancient sidewinder precision pro stick and nothing else.

I second that post 100%.

esmiol
04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
some of you ask why a sim i not open moddinf for sound? or for anything else?

god it is a sim... open everything and in three month you fly a stuka wit the sound engine of an F18 hornet and the fly model of a space shuttle!.

stop whining for stupid reason and wait. god! go to record your own sound and give yout right to 1C !

ElAurens
04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

PROVE me wrong or shut up. It's that simple.

csThor
04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
What's hard to understand, is why the game is designed with a closed sound system where changing the sounds can't be done easily by modding.

You know you don't have the ressources to make good sounds, and you know the community could do better, at no cost for you. Why not let them do it?

Ah, now we're talking. Previously I gained a totally different meaning - i.e. that Maddox Games should have taken other samples regardless of such trivial things like intellectual property. That sentence above I agree with.

bongodriver
04-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Forget what the devs do with the sound, what we need (and I assume this will happen because this is a mod-friendly kind of game) is for a sound pack mod. The sounds ATM in this game are easily the worst quality I've heard in the last decade. Really, really bad, the game sounds almost sound monotone??

Well I would say that wings of prey is easily the worst, that sounds like a bee in a tin can with only 2 speeds.........

AndyHill
04-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Granted, I only have experience on some of the planes in iCoD, but to me the internal sounds sound good. The only real gripe I have is the way you can hear bullets strike other planes far away.

Also, there could be a lot more base oomph in the gun sounds so that ButtKicker worked a bit better and perhaps a bit more even base in the engine sounds as well. Should be easy enough to mod, though, if the sound files are accessible.

reflected
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

It's not hard to understand, it's hard to believe :P

Such a great sim with prehistoric sounds...

Do you get paid by them or are you hearing impaired? Because I see no other reason for attacking me or anyone who don't like these awful sounds.

fireflyerz
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
PROVE me wrong or shut up. It's that simple.
Or your gonna what ? boy.:rolleyes:

csThor
04-06-2011, 01:00 PM
It's not hard to understand, it's hard to believe :P

Such a great sim with prehistoric sounds...

Do you get paid by them or are you hearing impaired? Because I see no other reason for attacking me or anyone who don't like these awful sounds.

I didn't "attack" ... and certainly not for not liking the sounds. I found the statement ludicrous that MG should have taken "some" sound samples from somewhere else. Which is a ludicrous remark considering how this world is with "intellectual property" and every dog and his fleas wanting considerable cash for any hiccup of them ever recorded.

I wasn't diplomatic, I admit as much, but my patience with some topics is rather thinly stretched these days. ;)

reflected
04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Ah ok, I see. ;)

Well, let's hope they'll improve it one day, then.

csThor
04-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Unless there are valid technical reasons for not doing it I'd rather have them open the sounds (after giving us more of a sound menu to fiddle with, that is). It removes a considerable headache for them and silences the "sound snipers". ;)

David Hayward
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
With the amount of audio complaint threads , this should be warning enough to devs about what is looming around the corner sooner or later they will have to pull there heads out a the sand and spend some wad , with the introduction of the sound mod some years ago , lawn mowers for spitfires is no longer a legitimate excuse.

I'm sure the devs were prepared for all the people who would be whining about sound quality.

1.JaVA_Sharp
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Unless there are valid technical reasons for not doing it I'd rather have them open the sounds (after giving us more of a sound menu to fiddle with, that is). It removes a considerable headache for them and silences the "sound snipers". ;)

hear hear, I'd rather see a lot more of improvements and optimalizations FIRST before unlocks and mods and stoff like that.

Bf110pilot
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
This game has been in development for 7 yrs or so and real sounds should be expected. I would pay 20 more US dollars for the game to have realistic dynamic sounds. Who would as well?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jafaem

ElAurens
04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Or your gonna what ? boy.:rolleyes:

I don't have to do anything, the burden of proof of your sources is on you and no one else.

Every time this subject comes up, and proof of sources is asked for, you slink off like the guilty kid caught in the cookie jar.

What you do for a mod is of no concern here. We are talking about a release from a for profit corporation that is subject to the laws of many countries. The fact that you don't seem to grasp this, or the costs of doing high fidelity sound recording with real WW2 aircraft only points to your immaturity, not mine. Unless of course you own a P-whatever or a Spitfire personally, and wish to donate the $1500 to $2500 hourly operating costs so that Maddox Games/1C/UBI can have real sounds without fear of prolonged and expensive copyright litigation?

If so the lets see the plane.

fireflyerz
04-06-2011, 06:29 PM
You mister seem to have an obsession with me and I find it very creepy indeed.

Doc_uk
04-06-2011, 06:56 PM
thats what my spit sounds like at the moment lol, a bloody lawnmower

Flanker35M
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
S!

Search what Jafa might mean, connect with Wanaka in NZ..hmmm?

AWL_Spinner
04-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Maybe one day we'll have something that sounds (and looks) like this.

My fave CGI ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1RV4O9vUqU&feature=related