PDA

View Full Version : Which joystick do you use?

Jewcookie
04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm trying to figure out which joystick to buy. I have a Wingman Force 3D at the moment but its a bit crappy. So my question to you:

Which joystick do you recommend or use yourself and why u think this is the best?

Also, should i go for a Force Feedback stick?

Maybe including an image in your post would be nice! :cool:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/2383832942_fb981d1dee.jpg

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I am using a Logitech G940, its not bad in my oppinion but I havent tried any of the other hotas systems, there have been issues regarding throttle and rudder spiking, I have only encountered some slight rudder spikes myself, the nice thing about the g940 is the fact pitch and roll axis are hall sensors and it has force feedback (unique for a full hotas system)

p.s. of course the force feed back is for now redundant but I am confident it wont be for long

tintifaxl
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Look at my sig. A very good HOTAS and I do recommend it.

Armatian
04-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I paid money something like 200U$S, for a saitek x52, unfortunately, that's what you get for living in the a$$ of the world, still is 10 times better than crappy pot 4bit things, that exists... mmm should we make a thread for worst joystick experience?, i had a genius branded one that lasted 6 days before getting parkinson.

MadTommy
04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Saitek X52 Pro

http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/7/9/06874897/l_06874897.jpg

Raggz
04-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Thrustmaster Warthog, expensive but insane :)

Letum
04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Also, should i go for a Force Feedback stick?

Maybe including an image in your post would be nice! :cool:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/2383832942_fb981d1dee.jpg

That is NOT a force feedback stick, despite the flashy label.

Proper force feedback is when the centering strength of the stick is dependent on factors such as the speed of the air passing the control surfaces.

That stick is best described as a rumble stick. It just shakes about when you fire your guns.

Aside from that; avoid this stick at all costs. They have a horrible record of losing their center, stopping working, having bits fall off etc.

JumpingHubert
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
second hand from ebay for 106 Euro and modified. Smooth and intuitive handling.
http://www8.pic-upload.de/thumb/05.04.11/myuf1n8bjz4t.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-9491672/DSCF1455.jpg.html)

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
second hand from ebay for 106 Euro and modified

nice to see I'm not the only nutcase that did this, I had almost exactly the same setup before the g940, I used a leo Bodnar controller board as the guts to mine.

sg1221
04-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Bought my Saitek X 52 Pro a year and a half ago and I love it :)

sg

Squid_DK
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Using the TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's and the CH Pro pedals here.
Works like a charm, plenty of posibilities.

Staffan

chimp306
04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Thrustmaster Warthog here

+ x52 throttle (needed more levers)
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals

MS FFB2 sitting on the side and i still think i prefer it lol

oh and for what its worth, the warthog did not make me a better pilot, i still suck!:rolleyes:

Eklund89
04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
G940 + Saitek Quadrant

Buchon
04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
in my opinion pressure control sticks are appropriate for modern era sims, which are full of modern jets that are using this system in real life, but they are not for a WWII sim.

I have a X52 witch is good for online competitive combat, fast and accurate response.

But having that I did purchased a G940 jut for one reason = Force Feedback

With my X52 I have a fast and accurate experience but with G940 I have a accurate and realistic experience.

Once you taste a good force feedback configuration there no way back, nothing can be compared with feel the wind pass through the wings of your plane, feel the strength of the plane in a turn or twisted in a loop, feel the turbulences going through the clouds.

I think that a force feedback joystick is the best option for a realistic and accurate in WWII simulator experience.

ATAG_Bliss
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
CH products. The 1st and last HOTAS you'll ever have to buy. They are bar none, the most reliable HOTAS ever made. And they have bar none, the best customer service I've ever seen.

My setup is 7 years old and just as good as the day I bought them.

FS/PT/PP/TQ

http://www.chproducts.com

http://www.ch-hangar.com/

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
But having that I did purchased a G940 jut for one reason = Force Feedback

I have the g940 too, have you had any of the spiking issues, I mentioned my slight rudder spike, I did find a dirty fix, just unplug the rudders from the unit and plug it back in, and it stopped my spiking for at the whole day.

JG52Uther
04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
CH fighterstick
CH pedals
Saitek throttle quadrant ( <-- great idea,poor quality parts)

Squid_DK
04-05-2011, 08:11 PM
CH products. The 1st and last HOTAS you'll ever have to buy. They are bar none, the most reliable HOTAS ever made. And they have bar none, the best customer service I've ever seen.

I agree, I had the CH range (Still do, including the Throttle Quadrant) but I needed the extra stuff for DCS: A-10C and for once I was really satisfied with something besides CH.

Staffan

Jewcookie
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
That is NOT a force feedback stick, despite the flashy label.

Proper force feedback is when the centering strength of the stick is dependent on factors such as the speed of the air passing the control surfaces.

That stick is best described as a rumble stick. It just shakes about when you fire your guns.

Aside from that; avoid this stick at all costs. They have a horrible record of losing their center, stopping working, having bits fall off etc.

Your absolutely right!. This stick sucks ass. I found another one about an hour ago and i forgot i borrowed it from a friend a long time ago. Its not much better but still in a better state than the other one..

http://www.jabberwocky.co.za/store/image/cache/data/Products/CompRelated/GameControllers/Logitech-Extreme3DPro-942-000005-128x128.jpg

I think i have to go save some money for a decent stick... :-x

Buchon
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I have the g940 too, have you had any of the spiking issues, I mentioned my slight rudder spike, I did find a dirty fix, just unplug the rudders from the unit and plug it back in, and it stopped my spiking for at the whole day.

I fixed the spiking problems my self.

They are caused by a wire that lose his position in the throttle controller, causing problems in a board connector due his movement.

It was in a tutorial on the web about this with pictures but cant remember now ...

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I fixed the spiking problems my self.

They are caused by a wire that lose his position in the throttle controller, causing problems in a board connector due his movement.

It was in a tutorial on the web about this with pictures but cant remember now ...

so far I havent any problems with the throttles, i have been trying to research if it is viable to replace all pots with hall sensors.....

zoopyzook
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a horrible squeaky st290 pro which has some issues and I should be having a Saitek x65 F turning up tomorrow. Was going to get the Warthog but couldn't bring myself to buy that AND a set of pedals.

Will be interesting to see how the force-sensing business works out on a WW2 sim :confused:

Buchon
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
so far I havent any problems with the throttles, i have been trying to research if it is viable to replace all pots with hall sensors.....

Found it, here is http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3007420/4.html

the loose wire disturb the board connector causing weird effects like spiking in rudder and throttle.

is easy to fix, just attach well the wire, avoiding disturb the connector when you move the throttle.

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you very much Buchon, very usefull find

69th_Edge
04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Saitek X65 and Saitek rudder peddals

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-05-2011, 09:01 PM
CH Fighterstick,Pro Throttle,CH Pedals used to have saitek X52 pro but the stick went bad after a year. Thrustmaster hosta X is a good buget stick with big throttle,nice lot of buttons 1 hat. but this CH stuff is in a different league and expense :)

smink1701
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Microsoft Precision Pro 2

JumpingHubert
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I tried to find a alternative to the really expensive hall sensors for my hotas cougar. I think the pots in the cougar are very very cheap. I only need a bit less cheaper pots like this one.http://www.conrad.biz/ce/de/product/447176/POTI-SINGLE-TURN-6639S-1-502-5-K-1-W/0241710&ref=list..but: they have to be compatible..

angrueo
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
X52 + CH Pro Pedals

In my opinion , the best setup for a WWII simulator. They're neither much older, nor a Warthog. And also pretty cheap nowadays.;)

Revelation
04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Saitek AV8R

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/jconnor/AV8R-01.jpg
Does the job for me, although so far I don't know anyone else that flies with it.

Strike
04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I have the G940 and for a complete setup it's really good to have force feedback too.

What struck me the most was that going from a lot of other Logitech sticks (Freedom 2,4 wireless and Force 3D pro) this was a huge step in the right direction!

It has all my needs at least (tons of buttons and sliders and viewhats) + force feedback (with proximity sensor to turn off FFB when not holding the stick). It's VERY precise for a FFB stick I'd say, no issues keeping a plane flying center without trim.. smooth adjustments are easy. Only "Issues" i have is that sometimes throttle in IL-2 will jump between say 50% to 51% back and forth a little (probabaly potmeter issue). But it's not really a "problem".

The FFB is also STRONG compared to other products I've tried. It really jerks around the table once it gets going. Some people have complained about the trimwheels not having center detent, but there's a visual line on the center to help you center it. I got used to it really fast. Besides, you don't watch the wheel as you trim, you watch the horizon or VSI for response ;)

Trigger is 2step, so If you wanted, you could have the trigger initiate guncam/track recording once you press it, and when you fully press it you will fire guns. It worked in IL-2 1946 for a test :) Quite cool... Of course, you end up with tons of small tracks in a long dogfight... ;)

The pedals are good. Adjustable friction and nice toe-brakes. Never had any spikes with them :) Throttle is nice, split-throttle with a spring-loaded pin you can unlock/lock them together for single engine fighters. Personally I use the throttles as mixture/throttle or prop-pitch/throttle. Hat switches allows for speedbrakes or operating bombsights or other stuff. Throttle comes with illuminated buttons on the panel with customizable titles (you can make your own labels for the buttons and put them under a small transperent glass to easier read what the button does :) )

All in all this is a 6/6 product because of the bang for your buck :)

First HOTAS I personally own, tried some others, liked this one better. 2 Friends were curious about it and after a brief try they both ordered it online ;) Not had any problems with it at all.

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Trigger is 2step, so If you wanted, you could have the trigger initiate guncam/track recording once you press it, and when you fully press it you will fire guns. It worked in IL-2 1946 for a test Quite cool... Of course, you end up with tons of small tracks in a long dogfight...

Never thought of that...sounds like a great idea, in terms of guncam footage it's exactly how they worked wasn't it?

MrFreeze
04-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi,

Here is a good review and comparison of HOTAS available on the market by SIMHQ: http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_094a.html

rfxcasey
04-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Microsoft force feedback 2, the finest Joystick you can get.:cool:

scissorss
04-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS
Excellent quality for the low price. Wish it had a few more buttons/sliders. Has a nice rocker lever on the throttle which I mapped to the rudder, since I cannot stand using the twist for rudder.

Filthy Pierre
04-06-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm using a CH Fighterstick and CH Pro Pedals.

I think the stick is a little too large for my hands. I really have to stretch my thumbs and lift my hand to get to the top switches. I think I should of got the Combatstick instead. I like more buttons and less 4 way switches.

I might get the throttle too at some stage.

mcmatt
04-06-2011, 05:12 AM
HOTAS TM Cougar. Years ago I had FF joystick but I didn't like it. Never regret to get rid of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/McMatt/823c5f22-ca52-463f-949d-78bb2d1a1680-1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/McMatt/ddd60beb-ae71-4cf4-9158-44589ded7fde-1.jpg

David198502
04-06-2011, 07:13 AM

My setup is 7 years old and just as good as the day I bought them.

FS/PT/PP/TQ

http://www.chproducts.com

http://www.ch-hangar.com/

+1!

Rattlehead
04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Saitek X-52 pro.

This is my first real joystick, the others being the cheap Logitech types.

It's a good stick, but then again I don't really have a point of reference, aside from the aforesaid cheaper sticks, which obviously won't compare.

I'd like to try out a FFB flight stick someday.

Strike
04-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Never thought of that...sounds like a great idea, in terms of guncam footage it's exactly how they worked wasn't it?

yeah at least for the F-16. I believe early versions were directly linked to the firing circuit and was pre-set to record X amount of seconds after trigger release!

PhantomLord
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I still torture my good old Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold :cool:

But i think i must have a new one. Need more buttons and sliders for CloD ;)

reflected
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
MS FFB2.

I wish this game had FFB support.

III/JG11_Simmox
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a few
Cougar HOTAS
MSFFB2 x2
G940
X52pro

actually using a mix of 3 atmo
once FFB is enabled ill probably only use the cougars throttle and go back to the MSFFB2 or the G940 as a whole

before i had rudder pedals proper,i used my momo,and later my G25 pedals,as the the rudder set,worked fine once you got used to the independant nature of the pedals

JG53Frankyboy
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
M$FFB2 with X52Pro Throttle and TrackIR5

works very good, after i need half a day (at least) for configuration the control setup :D
AND after i disabled this "two hand limit" in the realism settings ;)

Kianoni
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Old photo but not much have changed..
I'm thinking of getting a separate throttle quadrant for better control over mixture/prop pitch but dunno..

BobTuck
04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Microsoft force feedback 2, the finest Joystick you can get.:cool:

+1 (on both counts!)

Simply the best, and still going strong after years of quality enjoyment!

BobTuck.

TonyD
04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I still torture my good old Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold :cool:

But i think i must have a new one. Need more buttons and sliders for CloD ;)

+1. Having not used it for the last year or two due to involvement with racing sims, and it being ~11 years old, I was disappointed to find the axes ‘sticking’, and the hat not reading correctly. I ordered a new Cyborg X before properly examining the reason for the faults – a bit of careful cleaning and lubrication had it working like new again!

The Cyborg X has a mechanically built-in dead zone on the rudder axis, which is a bit annoying, but does have an additional axis and buttons. I am persevering since I did buy the damn thing, but still prefer the older one due to its feel and accuracy. Hopefully, it will prove as durable as the 3D Gold.

I would love a HOTAS set-up, but unfortunately am a bit limited for space – the same reason I haven’t replaced my Momo with a G27.

Moggy
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
+1. Having not used it for the last year or two due to involvement with racing sims, and it being ~11 years old, I was disappointed to find the axes ‘sticking’, and the hat not reading correctly. I ordered a new Cyborg X before properly examining the reason for the faults – a bit of careful cleaning and lubrication had it working like new again!

The Cyborg X has a mechanically built-in dead zone on the rudder axis, which is a bit annoying, but does have an additional axis and buttons. I am persevering since I did buy the damn thing, but still prefer the older one due to its feel and accuracy. Hopefully, it will prove as durable as the 3D Gold.

I would love a HOTAS set-up, but unfortunately am a bit limited for space – the same reason I haven’t replaced my Momo with a G27.

I'm left handed so Saitek joysticks were my choice for a long time. Unfortunately I am a bit heavy handed so they never lasted very long. I switched over to the Thrustmaster T.16000M joystick and to be honest I've never regretted it. However, the I don't like the feel of the fire buttons and the twist and throttle have much shorter throws than my old Saiteks. I own CH pedals and a Saitek throttlq quadrant so I don't use the joystick twist and throttle.

adonys
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
MSSWFF2
Thrustmaster Warthog
Saitek PRO Flight Rudder Pedals
Track IR 4 Pro with TrackClip

Silverback
04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
G940 here. Works great in 46. I'll be better in COD when they get FF fixed.

rfxcasey
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS
Excellent quality for the low price. Wish it had a few more buttons/sliders. Has a nice rocker lever on the throttle which I mapped to the rudder, since I cannot stand using the twist for rudder.

The real thing to do is connect the 2 halves, place them on the left of your keyboard drawer, buy a MS FF2 and place it on the right as your primary stick. I used to use just the T.Flight but MS FF2 is just so precise and has basically no dead zone. Then you can use the T.Flight throttle and rudder control and you have all the extra buttons and hat switch on the T.flight joystick for activating my WEP, airbrake or whatever. I also have one of the axis on the stick mapped for analog wheel bakes.

Sully_pa
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
MSFFBX52-Pro and X-52 Pro Throttle, CH Rudder Pedals

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv135/Sully_pa/DSCN1077.jpg

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
The real thing to do is connect the 2 halves, place them on the left of your keyboard drawer, buy a MS FF2 and place it on the right as your primary stick. I used to use just the T.Flight but MS FF2 is just so precise and has basically no dead zone. Then you can use the T.Flight throttle and rudder control and you have all the extra buttons and hat switch on the T.flight joystick for activating my WEP, airbrake or whatever. I also have one of the axis on the stick mapped for analog wheel bakes.

brill,you justgave me an idea to use my x52 pro throttle with my ch stuff for extra functions .thanks.

NN_LUSO
04-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Luthier use...............

..............WARTHOG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgy88KGDX-o)!!!!!!!!!!

This is a simulation joysticks???

Pyrres
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
MS FFB2 here. No other product has come even close to this and I have owned CH products before. I don´t even know how old mine is (bought as new as soon as it was out) but still as good as new.

Tymi
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Thrustmaster T.16000M. It's really accurate and it stays that way thanks to the HALL sensors.

b101uk
04-06-2011, 06:11 PM
MSFFB2 :grin:

Tenebrae
04-06-2011, 08:54 PM
CH Fighter Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pedals here

As well as the points made previously, I've not used anything else that comes close to CH in terms of configuration possibilities. It even has it's own programming language.

Also, the joystick has a really long throw which helps accuracy

Shame they don't do an FFB version.

JG301_HaJa
04-07-2011, 05:15 AM
G940 here, really like it and I've had no issues with spinking or anything.

rayrush
04-07-2011, 05:41 AM
What is currently the best ffb stick out there without seperate throttle control unit. Thanks.

lacusch69
04-07-2011, 05:45 AM
MS SW FFB Pro stick (or MS SW Prec.Pro, changable), Saitek X52 throttle, Saitek rudder.

damar
04-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Saitek X52 & Saitek Pro Pedals &TM16000

lacusch69
04-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Hi i currently have a saitek cyborg evo force. Is this a good stick or is the MSFFB2 better?

It's no question. MS far-far better.

PhantomLord
04-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Oh dear.... spend some minutes on Saitek.de :roll:

I want this... and this... and this one too! My precccciousssss!!!! We must have it all!!!!

But suddenly a gust of wind came up from the north. Followed by the endless painful cry of my moneybag and the battle hymn of me wife wearing the great frying pan of war :lol:

Matt255
04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Thrustmaster Warthog + Simpeds

I can recommend both.

JMB
04-07-2011, 07:35 AM
TonyD: The Cyborg X has a mechanically built-in dead zone on the rudder axis, which is a bit annoying, but does have an additional axis and buttons. I am persevering since I did buy the damn thing, but still prefer the older one due to its feel and accuracy. Hopefully, it will prove as durable as the 3D Gold.
Yep, I have exactly the same problem with the X but what really annoys me is that on my stick the dead zone is not split equally between left and right rudder. It is as if the pot is mounted off-centre.

Left rudder occurs after about 1/8 of the axis travel whereas right rudder occurs after 1/3 of the axis travel. This is a very noticeable difference and not something I can fix with smoothing or dead zone adjustment. I suppose I could have a look inside the stick base but I'm guessing the pot won't be too easy to access. I sent the first one I had back immediately as that had instant left rudder but it took 1/2 of the axis travel to get right rudder!

Other than that, the stick is pretty comfy to handle, the throttle position is good for a right hander (I find it better than the rear position on the Cyborg Evo I had), the dual throttles are good for twin engine types (for single engined types you could also assign 1 to throttle and 1 as a slider if you wanted rather than having them 'locked' together) and the central wheel is just great for elevator trim.

JMB

GothicGhost
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
What you think a good joystick to buy for around £30?

I like the look of the Saitek AV8R :)

Cheers.

Revvin
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Still using my CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle and CH Pro Pedals that I bought nearly eight years ago and still going strong.

jirka76
04-09-2011, 10:58 AM
CH flightstick + gamepad (for rudder control:) )

zakkandrachoff
04-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Microsoft Precision Pro 2

have this but ddont work.

Maico
04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
On my i7 machine I have a G940 I use for IL2 and COD. On my i5 I have X-52+MSFFB2 and Saitek Pro Pedals. I prefer the MSFFB2 for its size and feel but the G940 is not a bad stick. I have had some spiking issues that I will fix when I get round to it.

W1ndy
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
MSSWFF2. I have 3 of them . I have a CH fighterstick but use it as a throttle.

the FF2 just feels good.

JZG_Con
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
def the TM-HOGS

Prop~Strike
04-13-2011, 09:36 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/propstrike/peds.jpg

Widened CH pedals

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/propstrike/joystick003.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/propstrike/stickbox.jpg

Extended Saitek Cyborg Evo Force

I also use a CH throttle quadrant and Trackir.

Katana1000S
04-14-2011, 03:22 AM
TM Warthog just now with a MS SW FF2 on standby in case FF gets patched into the sim at some point.

baronWastelan
04-14-2011, 04:04 AM
CH flight sim yoke, saitek pedals.

OC-Rudder
04-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Saitek cyborg evo force, but i keep flat spinning all the time tried lowering the sensitivity but nothing :(

ATAG_Dutch
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Logitek 3D Pro. It's rubbish but I'm stingey.

322Sqn_Bbird
04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Logitech G940 + Saitek Quadrant here

mazex
04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Primary: Logitech G940 that is great for all sims done the last 1.5 decades accept CoD. After I started using FF with the MSFFB2 I will never go back to non FF!

In the "bone yard" in my cellar I have:

MSFFB2 (will never throw that darling away!)
G940 (spare system, got to keep it when Logitech sent me a replacement as I had the spike issues with the thottle wheels)
CH Flight Stick (still working as good as in 1991 when I bought it!)