PDA

View Full Version : So Much more Than A Flight Sim?

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Last night I crash landed by a farmhouse with a windmill.

The long grass was gently waving in the breeze, and the late evening sun was casting long shadows across the country lane that wound up and over the low hill in front of me.

I half expected some old bloke to come strolling over the rise, walking his dog, on the way back from an evening pint in the local inn.

What I really wanted at this point, and I know it's way down the list of priorities, was a bike or an open topped car, to simply ride/drive over the hill and explore the landscape.
Instead, I reflew, immediately landed and taxied about the place. Try it, it is unbelievable for a flight sim.

The level of detail at ground level is just drop dead gorgeous.

It makes me wonder just what all of the future plans are, as this level of ground detail seems kinda 'wasted' on a flight sim. I wonder..........:grin:

kingpinda
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Hopefully what Eagle dynamics is doing for DCS in modern times.

I wouldnt mind a World war II online! :) I briefly played that "mmo" but its too ugly and not realistic enough.

Lets hope 1c will make a WWII tank simulator and FPS, which can seamessly integrate with this engine :)

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Last night I crash landed by a farmhouse with a windmill.

The long grass was gently waving in the breeze, and the late evening sun was casting long shadows across the country lane that wound up and over the low hill in front of me.

I half expected some old bloke to come strolling over the rise, walking his dog back from an evening pint in the local inn.

What I really wanted at this point, and I know it's way down the list of priorities, was a bike or an open topped car, to simply ride/drive over the hill and explore the landscape.
Instead, I reflew, immediately landed and taxied about the place. Try it, it is unbelievable for a flight sim.

The level of detail at ground level is just drop dead gorgeous.

It makes me wonder just what all of the future plans are, as this level of ground detail seems kinda 'wasted' on a flight sim. I wonder..........exactly my sentiments, the terrain is 'almost' good enough for a modest FPS game, but for some folks the grass is just the wrong shade of green on this side of the fence.

Triggaaar
04-05-2011, 10:30 AM

The level of detail at ground level is just drop dead gorgeous.So is it that you haven't tried other flight sims and don't know what you're talking about, or are those that think the graphics in this game are simply not good enough in 2011 talking nonsense? It just seems odd how far apart the opinions are here.

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I can hand on heart say that I have flown every sim available, and have looked at the ground detail, with no bias say that yes......the ground detail is better than anything else on the market in my oppinion, it is my oppinion and that of some others too, we appreciate others have different oppinions.

Bewolf
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Oleg and his team repeatedly mentioned that IL2:CoD was designed with a combined battlefield in mind. Go the config Menu in CoD and you will notice there are sections for other vehicles in regards to key mapping.

So expect to drive a Matilda or a Panzer III eventually =)

112th_Rossi
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I just felt a 'stirring' at the mear suggestion of a combined arms sim!

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
So is it that you haven't tried other flight sims and don't know what you're talking about, or are those that think the graphics in this game are simply not good enough in 2011 talking nonsense? It just seems odd how far apart the opinions are here.

Well... I have FSX with UK 'real scenery' and the latest 'Ground Environment Europe'. I also have Rof ICE edition which runs easy maxed out on my pc.
None of these are as good IMO.

Am I missing something juicier than CoD in this respect?:confused:

bongodriver
04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Am I missing something juicier than CoD in this respect?

apparently IL2 FB :lol: can you believe?

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
apparently IL2 FB :lol: can you believe?

Very amusing!:grin:
Of course i have two original Il2's, Forgotten Battles and four copies of 1946, two unopened. I also have two different versions of the unmentionables on my HD.
Sorry, forgot that bit.:rolleyes:

Jotaele
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Yea, its sad that having a so good ground detail, we have not a better way to enjoy it.Or use in missions.
I mean that giving us the posibility of leve the plane and walk and get new veicles could made the game experience much wide.
In example ,we could made especiall mission :
-like flying in a tiger moth to another base and chage to and spitfire in the same mission,
-or star in a car in fornt of a pub in a car and you need to run at the airfield in the middle of a german bombrun, and get sour hurricane to scramble.That would increase the sense of being part in a huge world.
A simplified first person view sistem to walk dont should be very hard to do.
In the last serios DCS a10,after you ejected and land, you can walk with your joystick, and a guy made a mod in with you can use any veicle.Only for fun.
I hope we have some of these features in the future.
I would be happy currently with being able to use antialiasing ;) or a good FFB support.

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Well... I have FSX with UK 'real scenery' and the latest 'Ground Environment Europe'. I also have Rof ICE edition which runs easy maxed out on my pc.

Am I missing something juicier than CoD in this respect?:confused:

is that really true Dutch?

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
is that really true Dutch?

Certainly is. Real scenery is great at 5000ft or above, but no ground detail at all such as trees, grass etc.

Ground Environment Europe is only a bit nicer than stock scenery, but only really from the air, and nowhere near CoD detail level on the ground.

RoF is a great game but also doesn't have the detail of CoD.:)

When I get home I'll post some comparative screenshots if you like.

Edit: Second thoughts, just check out the new screenshot threads!

C_G
04-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Oleg and his team repeatedly mentioned that IL2:CoD was designed with a combined battlefield in mind. Go the config Menu in CoD and you will notice there are sections for other vehicles in regards to key mapping.

So expect to drive a Matilda or a Panzer III eventually =)

That's correct, in the Luthier/Oleg SimHQ interview he mentionned that the game engine has been designed with this possibility in mind:

"Q. There's been speculation that the new engine might be used as a basis for other sim genres such as tanks, surface ships, and submarines. Is that still a possibility you envision could happen? Could a player driving a T-34 co-op with players flying an IL-2 in a combined armament battle?

A. Right now, the game engine potentially allows the player to control any object regardless of type. You could control a cloud or a building or a tree, i.e. literally anything. Of course, releasing this to the world requires some extra work, of actually making it interesting and realistic. But purely from the point of view of possibilities, the game engine has always been designed with a combined battlefield in mind."

Personally, I can't wait for the cloud simulation. I look forward to playing IL2:CloDo as a cumulo nimbus and pummeling Axis forces with hailstorms, lightning, and gale force winds :grin::rolleyes::grin:

bw_wolverine
04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I have to agree with the OP. I've never seen this level of graphic beauty on the deck in a flight sim, and like him I've played quite a few.

I'm commenting based on all the vids and screens I've seen. I don't get the game until the 19th (GRR).

One thing that has impressed me a lot is the mapping of the buildings to the ground textures correctly. Even in FSX you see buildings just slapped on down on top of the textures that cross roads or tracks and are basically not matched up, and that completely ruins the effect.

Looking at London and other towns in the CoD shots, it seems very clear that the roads are actual roads that go between buildings. The buildings very clearly follow the logic of the ground texture.

Also, the lighting and shadows of the ground/trees/buildings really makes it look beautiful. Artistry and subtle effects CAN make up for other deficiencies in places and I think 1C has done admirably.

A very very basic ground battle system could be made to be a lot of fun for people. Even if it was mostly arcade like until machines could handle more sim aspects for it, you could still give it strategy. For it to be fun, there has to be enough for the player to do. It would get boring fast to drive around and shoot if that's all you could do. The terrain/battlefield will never be dynamic enough to make that good enough. Maybe moving battlegroups around with a rudimentary waypoint assigning system would work. If you had command over 10 different battlegroups (infantry, mechanized, etc.) and manoevered them kind of like the Total War games, that could be fun - especially if you are coordinating with the air power.

JMB
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I half expected some old bloke to come strolling over the rise, walking his dog back from an evening pint in the local inn.

That's the trouble with dogs, give 'em an inch and they go out and get pissed.

Get a goldfish, a lot less hassle and if the apocalypse happens in 2012, well, at least you've got your dinner sorted.

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 02:43 PM
That's the trouble with dogs, give 'em an inch and they go out and get pissed.

Get a goldfish, a lot less hassle and if the apocalypse happens in 2012, well, at least you've got your dinner sorted.

Or live in Korea, best of both worlds.:rolleyes:

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Certainly is. Real scenery is great at 5000ft or above, but no ground detail at all such as trees, grass etc.

Ground Environment Europe is only a bit nicer than stock scenery, but only really from the air, and nowhere near CoD detail level on the ground.

RoF is a great game but also doesn't have the detail of CoD.:)

When I get home I'll post some comparative screenshots if you like.

Edit: Second thoughts, just check out the new screenshot threads!

Dutch would you say the detail/effects are better than WOP and thanks for the FSX comparison,when i played that i was almost gonna buy those addons but deleted the game cus i didnt have time to play it:)

JMB
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Or live in Korea, best of both worlds.:rolleyes:

:grin:

Triggaaar
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Am I missing something juicier than CoD in this respect?:confused:I don't think you're missing anything, but several threads here suggest you are. There are plenty of posts explaining that the graphics in this game are not up to standard for a 2011 flight sim - I think they're talking nonsense, but it's surprising how many people are complaining.

Complaining that the game wasn't quite ready when it was released is one thing, but if the graphics and physics are the best it's no wonder you need a decent PC to play it.

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Dutch would you say the detail/effects are better than WOP and thanks for the FSX comparison,when i played that i was almost gonna buy those addons but deleted the game cus i didnt have time to play it:)

Can't comment on that one Snake. Never tried it. There are plenty of 'discussions' elsewhere regarding that particular incarnation of the Il2 engine!:rolleyes::grin:

TUCKIE_JG52
04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I can hand on heart say that I have flown every sim available, and have looked at the ground detail, with no bias say that yes......the ground detail is better than anything else on the market in my oppinion, it is my oppinion and that of some others too, we appreciate others have different oppinions.

I've felt the same when landed the TM in the Buckingham Palace avenue, got short on avenue/runway and finished with th plane broken in a square, but started to look around and I saw monuments, a Book Shop, a Pub... for not to speak when I fly over the Westminster Abbey... This sim has something special on the ground. It looks like ready to be poulated with vehicles and people. :)

recoilfx
04-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I've felt the same when landed the TM in the Buckingham Palace avenue, got short on avenue/runway and finished with th plane broken in a square, but started to look around and I saw monuments, a Book Shop, a Pub... for not to speak when I fly over the Westminster Abbey... This sim has something special on the ground. It looks like ready to be poulated with vehicles and people. :)

Today's hardware can definitely support population & cars. Graphics cards can certainly handle whatever polygons are thrown at them. All signs point to that physics/FM/DM/AI in CloD are not that resource intensive.

The population modeling doesn't need to be so detailed, but even at GTA3 detail it would provide great immersions.

The problem is Maddox's team is small and financial resources are finite :-(

Someday...

Ataros
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Geate video illustration here http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=250433&postcount=263

ATAG_Dutch
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Geate video illustration here http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=250433&postcount=263

Thanks Ataros, that's a great link!