Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Approved Member

Default So Much more Than A Flight Sim?

Last night I crash landed by a farmhouse with a windmill.

The long grass was gently waving in the breeze, and the late evening sun was casting long shadows across the country lane that wound up and over the low hill in front of me.

I half expected some old bloke to come strolling over the rise, walking his dog, on the way back from an evening pint in the local inn.

What I really wanted at this point, and I know it's way down the list of priorities, was a bike or an open topped car, to simply ride/drive over the hill and explore the landscape.
Instead, I reflew, immediately landed and taxied about the place. Try it, it is unbelievable for a flight sim.

The level of detail at ground level is just drop dead gorgeous.

It makes me wonder just what all of the future plans are, as this level of ground detail seems kinda 'wasted' on a flight sim. I wonder..........

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 04-05-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Approved Member

Hopefully what Eagle dynamics is doing for DCS in modern times.

I wouldnt mind a World war II online! I briefly played that "mmo" but its too ugly and not realistic enough.

Lets hope 1c will make a WWII tank simulator and FPS, which can seamessly integrate with this engine
Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Last night I crash landed by a farmhouse with a windmill.

The long grass was gently waving in the breeze, and the late evening sun was casting long shadows across the country lane that wound up and over the low hill in front of me.

I half expected some old bloke to come strolling over the rise, walking his dog back from an evening pint in the local inn.

What I really wanted at this point, and I know it's way down the list of priorities, was a bike or an open topped car, to simply ride/drive over the hill and explore the landscape.
Instead, I reflew, immediately landed and taxied about the place. Try it, it is unbelievable for a flight sim.

It makes me wonder just what all of the future plans are, as this level of ground detail seems kinda 'wasted' on a flight sim. I wonder..........
exactly my sentiments, the terrain is 'almost' good enough for a modest FPS game, but for some folks the grass is just the wrong shade of green on this side of the fence.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post

So is it that you haven't tried other flight sims and don't know what you're talking about, or are those that think the graphics in this game are simply not good enough in 2011 talking nonsense? It just seems odd how far apart the opinions are here.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Approved Member

I can hand on heart say that I have flown every sim available, and have looked at the ground detail, with no bias say that yes......the ground detail is better than anything else on the market in my oppinion, it is my oppinion and that of some others too, we appreciate others have different oppinions.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Approved Member

Oleg and his team repeatedly mentioned that IL2:CoD was designed with a combined battlefield in mind. Go the config Menu in CoD and you will notice there are sections for other vehicles in regards to key mapping.

So expect to drive a Matilda or a Panzer III eventually =)
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

I just felt a 'stirring' at the mear suggestion of a combined arms sim!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
So is it that you haven't tried other flight sims and don't know what you're talking about, or are those that think the graphics in this game are simply not good enough in 2011 talking nonsense? It just seems odd how far apart the opinions are here.
Well... I have FSX with UK 'real scenery' and the latest 'Ground Environment Europe'. I also have Rof ICE edition which runs easy maxed out on my pc.
None of these are as good IMO.

Am I missing something juicier than CoD in this respect?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Am I missing something juicier than CoD in this respect?
apparently IL2 FB can you believe?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
apparently IL2 FB can you believe?
Very amusing!
Of course i have two original Il2's, Forgotten Battles and four copies of 1946, two unopened. I also have two different versions of the unmentionables on my HD.
Sorry, forgot that bit.