PDA

View Full Version : Tree collisions viewpoint....

engarde
04-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I know this is a topic covered in many other posts, but i must say that i hope this sim focuses on air to air combat, and not the ground.

Of course i know the ground is an unavoidable part of any sim, but i suggest that in this sim, the ground is not as important as it is in DCS blackshark, any A10 sim or any ground attack sim for that matter.

And yes i know about Stukas, Heinkels etc etc, and their dedicated business with things on the ground.

Its a close call, but i hope pc resources are devoted to honing damage models to aircraft, flight model nuances that mark each aircrafts individuality and the business of air combat which for me was the soul of BoB.

I truly hope resources arent wasted on stunningly low priority situations as what happens when you hit a tree with your aircraft.

It wasnt the Battle of the Branches.....

robtek
04-05-2011, 07:28 AM
engarde,

a dogfight, that doesn't end with the first pass, where the opponents are more or less equal, will end at treetop level sooner or later.
Thats where the collision model is very important!
A defending pilot will use all terrain features to escape or to change to aggressor.
There were reports of 109's with twigs in the slats, still coming home.
No Sir, tree collision model IS important, not first line, but still important.

JG52Uther
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
I agree with this this.I like the ground to look good,but not at the expense of everything else.Most fighting in the BoB took place at higher altitudes.

scissorss
04-05-2011, 07:35 AM
The only problem I see with having both a tree hitbox and the ability to disable trees is online play. Unless it becomes a server set feature, which would deter most players with mid to low systems. :/

robtek
04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
As they are working to optimize this game one can hope that a low to med tree densitiy, with hit boxes, will be playable on med systems and can be forced from the server side.

BernieBrown
04-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Imo priorities are
1. fix everyhing in the air
2. improve the sim to better interaction with the ground
3. make it more immersive (sounds, music, mission & campaign features)

btw. i totally second robtek. dogfights often ended low also strafing was a tactical feature in BoB! so its important but not 1st.priority

Flying Pencil
04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I know this is a topic covered in many other posts, but i must say that i hope this sim focuses on air to air combat, and not the ground.

Every air mission ends with the ground/ground based obstacles.

Even in space what you find?
Ground!

Blackdog_kt
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
The only problem I see with having both a tree hitbox and the ability to disable trees is online play. Unless it becomes a server set feature, which would deter most players with mid to low systems. :/

As they are working to optimize this game one can hope that a low to med tree densitiy, with hit boxes, will be playable on med systems and can be forced from the server side.

I'm going to agree with the above, this would be the way to go

Making it a server-enforced option, then set it to low or medium (depending on the optimizations) or any other setting that will enable the majority of the server's regular fliers to experience smooth frame rates and it's done: everyone sees the same thing and has to deal with the same hitboxes.

P.S. Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't the clouds handled in a similar fashion for multiplayer in the previous IL2 series?