PDA

View Full Version : independant wheel brake mapping?

Plt Off JRB Meaker
04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok tried to map my Saitek combat pedal brakes which need an axis each,and iL2 COD can't do this as there is only one axis assigned to L and R brakes.

Could anyone suggest how I can get around this please,at the moment I have the right foot operating both but it's not very realistic,thanks.

bongodriver
04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Ok tried to map my Saitek combat pedal brakes which need an axis each,and iL2 COD can't do this as there is only one axis assigned to L and R brakes.

are you sure? I have independent brake axis showing in the controls menu, for me the L R brake axis are the next lines below the single brake axis

BGs_Ricky
04-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I assigned independent brakes on my Saitek pedals, they are correctly assigned in the controls menu (as in the image in the post above) and the response seems correct (brakes off: input=-1.00;output=0 ; brakes on: input=1;output=1), but in-game they don't work at all, at least on the Spit Mk.II. There is no sound and no visible braking effect, and I dont see any difference in ground handling when applying the brakes...anyone encountering the same problem ? :confused:

Wolf_Rider
04-21-2011, 08:31 AM
spits and hurricanes didn't have differential braking (left or right)...

use [B] button and the rudder

BGs_Ricky
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense :-P

SYN_Flashman
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Took me while to wotk this one out...

Turn the rudder and then apply the brake. On the Spit and Hurri you can see the air pressure guage with a needle for each side.

unfortunately it means having a separate control from the left and right brakes. This can be a button or an axis

Moggy
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM

According to the Spit I pilot notes, they did have differential braking.

13. Wheel brakes.- The control lever (40) for the pneumatic brakes is fitted on the control column spade grip; differential control of the brakes is provided by a relay valve connected to the rudder bar.

What the pilot would do is press the brake lever and then press on the rudder pedal in the direction he wished to turn.

For the Hurricane, it's less clear as there is no mention of differential braking in the pilot notes; however in the fery pilots guide the following is said:

BRAKES
Dunlop pneumatic brakes are fitted. An engine-driven compressor maintains the air supply, and the pressure in the storage tank can be read on the gauge between the pilot's feet. Two small pointers on the same gauge indicate the pressure applied to each brake. Differential braking control is obtained by use of the rudder pedals in conjunction with the lever on the control column spade grip.

Wolf_Rider
04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
13. Wheel brakes.- The control lever (40) for the pneumatic brakes is fitted on the control column spade grip; differential control of the brakes is provided by a relay valve connected to the rudder bar.

What the pilot would do is press the brake lever and then press on the rudder pedal in the direction he wished to turn.

For the Hurricane, it's less clear as there is no mention of differential braking in the pilot notes; however in the fery pilots guide the following is said:

yes, that's right... "use [B] button and the rudder"

I meant differential braking as applying the use the rudder control pedal - depress pedal left or depress pedal right (toe brake) and not as pushing pedal left/ right (control rudder)

Moggy
04-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Absolutely it works for me, does it seems less sensitive compared to 1946 for anyone else or is it just me?

wildwillie
04-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I am having trouble with the Ju87 braking.

I have L & R brake axis mapped, and when tapping the left or right brakes I see the hud log show left brake xx% or righr brake xx%, but I am having problem turning the plane. It will start out turning left or right depending on brake, but then seems to wander. I thought maybe torque effect, but it seems to have the same effect left or right.

In IL2 you were able to spin a plan on the left or right wheel from a stopped position using brake/rudder. Not the same here.

Any Ideas ?