PDA

View Full Version : Flaps wheel too slow? (video)

VO101_Tom
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Hello guys

I was flying a lot yesterday with Bf-109. I noticed a thing, which is not bug, but seems to me wrong: flaps wheel moving velocity. I am surprised, for what so slow? As if would be heavy to move. Shows if you look at this video, that easy to handle (and much faster). The number of the turns does not seem a lot (i don't know exactly how much are needed). The moving velocity could be faster however. Opinions? (from 5:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qAZ_BGNAKY

II./JG1_Krupinski
04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I love the fact that there is limits to control operations like this, but I agree that flap operations in CoD is slow. I could envision two separate control speeds, one slow or fine setting and the other faster, coarse setting. The latter representing grabbing a big handful of wheel and turning it.

TUCKIE_JG52
04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
This remember me when, some time ago I was showing a Bf-109 from IL2 1946 to a veteran pilot that flew the Buchón (Spanish built 109's, based on G-6).

He told me that Il2 was unrealistic with flaps (too much quick to operate), so reported that he needed one minute to lower the flaps by actuating the wheel; it used to be slow, hard and sometimes slippy if some oil reached the wheel.

Flaps used to be lowered only prior to landing, in the tailwind leg, using all the entire leg.

Of course I speak about operations in Spain, those 109 and its pilots did not see more air to air combat that the one they trained between them and the one they recorded in the Battle of Britain movie... ;)

VO101_Tom
04-05-2011, 11:31 PM
This remember me when, some time ago I was showing a Bf-109 from IL2 1946 to a veteran pilot that flew the Buchón (Spanish built 109's, based on G-6).

He told me that Il2 was unrealistic with flaps (too much quick to operate), so reported that he needed one minute to lower the flaps by actuating the wheel; it used to be slow, hard and sometimes slippy if some oil reached the wheel.

Flaps used to be lowered only prior to landing, in the tailwind leg, using all the entire leg.

Of course I speak about operations in Spain, those 109 and its pilots did not see more air to air combat that the one they trained between them and the one they recorded in the Battle of Britain movie... ;)

I agree, we know some Hungarian WW2 veteran fighter pilots, and they said: the (il-2 game) cocpit nice, but the weapons weaker and the airplane much more agile, than was the kind in the reality.

I agree with the fact, that should be slower than in il-2, but on the video approximately 6 seconds the process (from take off), not 60. Its very big difference.

However, i using rarely the flaps in dogfight (il-2 of course :) ), i did not write this post because of this (Although the manual writes it: the fast flaps "may be real life saver" (p36) :roll:). I think, more inportant, that the "Anthropomorphic Control" disable many other switch and levers too long time. It would be good if they would make changes in this. Or is needed one key, which breaks all processes, or let this be shorter (II./JG1_Krupinski have good idea, fast and slow flap control speed, and problem solved ;)).

madrebel
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
iirc the manuals i've read state 4 full turns to completely lower the flaps. a pilot could hope for at most 1/4 turn at one time thus 16 pulls on the wheel to completely lower and then again 16 turns to retract.

iirc too the g10/k4 had hydraulic flaps i could be mistaken there though.

VO101_Tom
04-06-2011, 01:54 AM
iirc the manuals i've read state 4 full turns to completely lower the flaps. a pilot could hope for at most 1/4 turn at one time thus 16 pulls on the wheel to completely lower and then again 16 turns to retract.

I have pilot manual from E to K, but the trouble that I do not have accurate flaps data from E type (only, that take off settings is 20, landing is 40 degree). This is written in the Bf 109 G-2 Flight and Maintenance manual: "20 degrees flaps corresponds to 4 rounds on the control wheel". If I know it well this identical with E, F.

I do not know it unfortunately, how many turn need in video. If take off settings was 20 degrees, it 4 turns. The pilot moves approximately this much. But I wrote this posit because of the wheel velocity.

VO101_Tom
04-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I noticed it now, flap wheel velocity accelerated sensibly in the new patch. Thank you guys! :)

Redroach
04-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Considering they expicitly mention Me109 flap speed in the manual, I'm, quite, quite sure they know what they have been implementing there.