PDA

View Full Version : G limit

JG4_Helofly
04-03-2011, 04:43 PM
There was a nice improvement in the last il2 1946 patch. The G limit.
Apparently it didn't make it in Cod. I can pull as hard as I want and there is no damage. A bad side effect is that AI bombers fly their planes like fighters. It's incredible to see a medium bomber doing barrel rolles and split S. :(

Fangio
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
That really sucks. From other posts too it sounds like the FM and DM in CLOD is actually pretty dumbed down from 1946. More things can be damaged, but the effect of damage and the vulnerability is way more forgiving and easy.

It really sucks if this is the case.

Fang

Space Communist
04-03-2011, 06:23 PM
There is absolutely no reason medium bombers of the day couldn't do a roll or a split s. In fact the Germans pretty much insisted that all their bombers be capable of dive bombing to some extent.

I am completely confident that G-stress is included in the game, but it's actually pretty hard to damage a fighter with g force unless you pull out of a massive dive or something. Try it with some battle damage and I bet you will see your wings fly off though.

Also the idea that the damage model or flight model is in any way "more forgiving" than in IL-2 is patently ridiculous. It might seem so if you are only under fire from .303s, since they really do have a harder time causing catastrophic damage to a plane. You are not going to get planes cut in half by a single burst like you do in late war fighters.

Voyager
04-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I remember an interesting link on WWII gun effectiveness;

WWII Gun Effectiveness (http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/WW2guneffect.htm)

Basically, the 30mm round from the MK108 has around 60 times the stopping power of a 0.303 round from the British MGs, and about 5 times the stopping power of the MG/FF 20mm rounds. Even the 8 gun wing of the Spitfire and Hurricane was less that 1/4 as damaging as the single MK108 in the nose of the lat war 109's. The four HS.II in the wings of the Typhoon and Tempest were six times as effective as the 8 gun wing, and even though the MG151/20 didn't have quite the stopping power of the HS.II, the 190's 4x20mm and 2x13mm was still five time more destructive than the 8 gun wing. even the six gun US wing was twice as effective.

Number of guns aside, these were not heavily armed fighters.

TheGrunch
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I asked a question in the SimHQ interview but not much information was given in the answer...

Q. Will the aircraft have individual G-limitations, and suffer progressive damage and lowering of the airframe's G-tolerance? Rather than the IL-2: Sturmovik Series model of instant failure at one G-limit?

A. Yes.

:lol:

JG1_Luckystrike
04-03-2011, 10:31 PM
There was a nice improvement in the last il2 1946 patch. The G limit.
Apparently it didn't make it in Cod. I can pull as hard as I want and there is no damage. A bad side effect is that AI bombers fly their planes like fighters. It's incredible to see a medium bomber doing barrel rolles and split S. :(

go play il2 1946

FlyingShark
04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
go play il2 1946
This is the last kind of answers a sim need to succeed. It's the perfect way to drive people away from a sim.
And it's totally unnessecary.

~S~

baffa
04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I just tested it and there are G limits!

Take a spitfire, full dive and then just pull the joystick as hard as you can when you have gained some speed and wham, your wing will break.

JG4_Helofly
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
This is the last kind of answers a sim need to succeed. It's the perfect way to drive people away from a sim.
And it's totally unnessecary.

~S~

Don't worry. That's his style ;)

Sutts
04-05-2011, 08:17 AM
There is absolutely no reason medium bombers of the day couldn't do a roll or a split s. In fact the Germans pretty much insisted that all their bombers be capable of dive bombing to some extent.

I am completely confident that G-stress is included in the game, but it's actually pretty hard to damage a fighter with g force unless you pull out of a massive dive or something. Try it with some battle damage and I bet you will see your wings fly off though.

Also the idea that the damage model or flight model is in any way "more forgiving" than in IL-2 is patently ridiculous. It might seem so if you are only under fire from .303s, since they really do have a harder time causing catastrophic damage to a plane. You are not going to get planes cut in half by a single burst like you do in late war fighters.

I agree with you on this. Just look at what a heavy bomber like the Lancaster could pull off when doing corkscrew manoeuvres. However, I wouldn't like to see bombers acting like fighters too often.

On a side note, one thing that used to annoy me in IL2 was the readiness of bombers to break hard when under attack, rather than closing up and pushing on to the target like they're supposed to. I know panic scattering did sometimes occur but it certainly wasn't the accepted tactic of the day.