PDA

View Full Version : damn hard to aim!

David198502
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
hey guys.
is it just me or is it damn hard to aim in this game???
i just set up in full mission builder 6hurries with the lowest skills, so they almost flew straight all the time(even when i was trying to shoot the hell out of them).but my attempts looked pretty pathetic.even when i came real close to them, and they still flew straight, i didnt get a hit.my bullets failed either close above or beneath them.really frustrating.

i have to confess that aiming never have been my strength in il2 1946 either, but in cod im a total flop.
what are your experiences with aiming in cod in common,and particularly with the bf???which ammuniton do you use and with which convergence?
i dont really know what the vertical convergence should mean.

Blakduk
04-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Glad to hear i'm not the only one who is an average shot in Il2 struggling to hit anything effectively in this sim :-)
I found i had to tweak my joystick settings to make them less sensitive, turn off headshake, and re-check that i had changed the convergence for the plane i was flying. Using the 'loosen straps' command helps a lot as well- i now have it set to one of my hat switches so i can quickly turn it off. With it still engaged you can't turn to look behind you.
I'm also using TrackIR- i've turned down the X (move left/right) and y (move up/down) axes so they now have a large dead zone but with accellerated edges so i can still see outside the cockpit while taxiing. It seems to have helped with maintaining a steady aim.

609_Huetz
04-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Part of the problem is, that currently no matter what you change in te loadout screen (convergence), it doesn't save for later use. Fortunately the devs are aware and this bug is beeing worked on.

The important thing for both sides (cannons on the 109 and wing-mgs on the British Fighters) is to hit them in your convergence range.

Once they are at the proper default range, I can light them up in no time with a 1-3 second burst usually.

One thing you may want to consider is shooting without using the zoom but only the gunsight view. not only does that make engine management easier and help your SA, but it helps in making your movements smoother. Many people simply overcompensate to much for the aircrafts small movement when zoomed in.

There is an article over at simhq covering how the gunsights work on allied and axis planes in WW2, you guys may want to search for that. (Didn't provide link since I am not sure if linking is allowed).

Cheers,

H

Eklund89
04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
As soon as you correct your shooting the physical model lags behind the rendered or in the other way which makes it really hard to hit anything at all. The convergence is a problem too. Im used to have really short convergence and in cod its set to like 333m or somthing which is to far for me. When they have patched the model lag and the settings save i think it will be comparable to the old IL2.

609_Huetz
04-03-2011, 08:15 AM
That is true, it is set to 338 meters currently, which makes it easy to aim on fighters since all you need to do is fill the gap in the gunsight with their wingtips, but I too feel much more comfortable in shooting at 190 meters or lower.

David198502
04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
same for me.in il2 i had convergence set to 150meters.
btw:what exactly is the vertical convergence now?

609_Huetz
04-03-2011, 08:53 AM
That is something that can be adjusted as well in the loadout screen - if it worked. Just don't forget to adjust it for every single gun once they have it fixed.

David198502
04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
yeah but i dont know the meaning of it.as i understand,the horizontal covergence is the distance when the bullets shot of each gun, would "meet" each other in one point.meaning the guns aim to the center of the longitudinal axis of the plane.but the vertical??since the guns are placed at the same "height" i dont understand it.

609_Huetz
04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
It's simple: Bullets don't travel in a straight line but in a ballistic curve. The point of convergence thus is the spot where the bullet meets the theoretically elongated point of sight through your gunsights.

If you set the convergence to 200 meters horizontally they will converge at 200 meters but will land long of their target at the default vertical convergence i.e 300 meters. So they actually disperse again before they reach the vertical point of convergence.

If you have i.e. a tendency of not leading the target enough, this can help you score hits in your convergence.

That's why it needs to be set horizontally and vertically.

JG1_Luckystrike
04-03-2011, 10:26 PM
same here
planes move very spongy!!!

Bloblast
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
If you put a dead zone in the axes and rudder of about 5 and set sensetivity to 0 aiming will be better.

janik_dk
04-05-2011, 11:41 PM
If you put a dead zone in the axes and rudder of about 5 and set sensetivity to 0 aiming will be better.

On the joystick? Or the IR?

reflected
04-06-2011, 05:53 AM
IS it jsut me or there's something wrong with the gunsights? They should be -how to say - zeroed to infiniy, so no matter what the position of my head is, the crosshair should point at the aiming point. However, I noticed that in CloD my tracers go off if my head is not properly aligned. The center of the crosshair is the less likely place my burst will go. Of course, I'm talking about firing while flying straight.

SsSsSsSsSnake
04-06-2011, 06:47 AM
+1

Erkki
04-06-2011, 07:46 AM
IS it jsut me or there's something wrong with the gunsights? They should be -how to say - zeroed to infiniy, so no matter what the position of my head is, the crosshair should point at the aiming point. However, I noticed that in CloD my tracers go off if my head is not properly aligned. The center of the crosshair is the less likely place my burst will go. Of course, I'm talking about firing while flying straight.

Unfortunately so it seems...

1.JaVA_Sharp
04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

it's you. the gunsite is set to 400 yards, not to infinity, and can be adjusted. secondly there are reports of bugs with regards to the tracers in certain conditions.

JG4_Helofly
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Same problem here. I tested the crosshair on the ground in a 109. The MGs and the cannons shoot too low. That's why I always have to aim higher in order to hit something.

David198502
04-06-2011, 12:38 PM
i can confirm the 109 to aim way too low for the gunsight.i recognized that after beeing on a rookies six.he just flew straight and i struggled to get a shot.without succes.until i became aware that my bullets all went below him,although i had him directly in crosshair.

senseispcc
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
P

The important thing for both sides (cannons on the 109 and wing-mgs on the British Fighters) is to hit them in your convergence range.

Once they are at the proper default range, I can light them up in no time with a 1-3 second burst usually.

H

:-P

Like in the real world go closer to your target and then even closer to hit it with any chance to destroy it.
In WWII many fighter pilots did never score even one kill.
This is in my opinion a very real simulation, they did put the realism level at very high, I say thanks. No more battle until no more ammo or no more targets.

Have nice flight.

scorpac
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Guys, i already announced this BUG at day 1 of CoD. The Developers know from it and i hope they also work on it.

The problem is caused by wrong flightmodels. Where the actual plane has a different position than the rendered plane (its both the same plane). That makes the bullets go to a total different direction when just slightly using rudder/alerion/elevators.

4. FM and ballistics. We have already addressed the issue where rounds appeared to leave aircraft sideways. This was caused by the difference between physical and rendered position of the aircraft, i.e. the rendered position lagged behind the actual aircraft position.
Our aircraft programmer has a huge bucket list of things to check, which he’s going over at a rather brisk pace.

Blackdog_kt
04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Despite the discrepancy between actual and rendered position i managed to get used to it.

Initially my aim was all over the place, but now i can shoot well from the zoomed out view.

The trick is to stop trying to perfectly line up with the target because you end up overcompensating, especially in zoomed view.

What i tend to do is set up a course that intersects the target's course, preferably at close range. Then i estimate the lead and fire a bit before the target crosses my sights.
It's actually not that hard and if you shoot slightly from the side you stand a better chance of hitting fuel tanks, engines and the cockpit area too.

I guess that once the actual vs rendered position bug is fixed it will be even easier, however i still expect it to remain challenging and require a similar approach. The reason is that now we have instant and full response from the controls and there's also noticeable inertia, so making lots of small corrections while saddled up on the bandit's six tends to mess things up more than it helps.

I'm not an aerial sniper by any means, but i've acquired some pretty good habits from flying the Fw-190A in IL2 so i don't have that much trouble. In my opinion the most important skill i gained from flying the 190 is the ability to fire good snapshots, something learned out of necessity since it can't stay in a turning fight for long.

scorpac
04-07-2011, 03:02 PM
The bug is fixed now, gunnery works how it should work... (with the beta-patch) the patch will hit the live status at friday and will be available for everyone

scorpac
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
yeah but i dont know the meaning of it.as i understand,the horizontal covergence is the distance when the bullets shot of each gun, would "meet" each other in one point.meaning the guns aim to the center of the longitudinal axis of the plane.but the vertical??since the guns are placed at the same "height" i dont understand it.

maybe you played some other games than counterstrike, or battlefield. or maybe you shot a gun by yourself.

bullets always drop down and dont fly in a straight line. the vertical conversion makes the bullet going up and meet a special point at the specific distance. for example. You got a normal gunsight. put the vertical conversion to 500 meters. you shoot. the bullets fly a little over the middle of your gunsight and finally pass the middle of it at 500 meters