PDA

View Full Version : spitfires did not have variable flaps!

madrebel
04-02-2011, 01:15 AM
yet the manual clearly states variable flaps and even lists turn performance diagrams with different curves for landing, take off, and combat flap positions.

spits had up or down position only. dweebfire pilots don't need their hands held anymore than they already are.

if you don't have the correct information for this then allow me to share.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/madrebel/ww2%20fighters/elevators.jpg

Blackdog_kt
04-02-2011, 02:10 AM
I haven't tried it in-game yet, but i doubt it will have variable flaps.

Especially seeing how the controls behave differently for every aircraft depending on what it actually had in reality. For example, pressing V to lower flaps in the 109 will only result in a small turn of the wheel that manually extends them: you have to keep the V key pressed until they extend (so the 109s isn't really better off in terms of combat flaps deployment, i tried it and it takes ages).
If you press V in the Ju88 it works completely different, a lever is moved from the "neutral" to the "down" position: as long as the lever stays there the flap motor keeps running and flaps keep extending, so you don't need to keep pressing the key. You just need to press V once to start lowering them and then press F once to bring the lever back to the neutral position to stop them.

I don't know how the Spit works because i mostly fly around in the 109/110 and Hurricane, but with so much attention to individual aircraft characteristics i seriously doubt the Spitfire is going to get a preferential treatment.

You can also probably forget the dweebfire nickname, with full physics settings ALL planes i've tried in the simulator are a total bitch to fly compared to IL2:1946 :grin:
In the previous IL2 series there was one way to model everything for all planes and operating limits where almost non-existent, obviously favoring the aircraft with the better performance by simplifying their handling and operation.

This one however models everything almost down to the bolts and rivets and there's a dozen ways to kill yourself or mess up your plane without even getting close to the enemy. :-P

madrebel
04-02-2011, 02:40 AM
why then does the official manual for the game list turn performance curves for the spitfire and they include combat and takeoff flap positions? up and down is all the spit had.

SEE
04-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Geoffrey Wellum describes in detail the problem he and his flight of Malta Bound Spitfires had taking off from the Aircraft Carrier. They had their crews make up wedged shaped pieces of wood and jammed them into the flaps then retracting them to hold the flaps at a desired angle. Once in the air they had to lower flaps and hope that the blocks of wood would fall away.......necessity is the mother of invention...and it worked .....:grin:

Kwiatek
04-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Spitfire had only landing flaps configuarion ( flaps up and full down) but Hurricane had postioned flaps ( more flaps postion)

madrebel
04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
spit in game is correct i just spazzed out when i read the manual.

*Buzzsaw*
04-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Thread should be deleted. Poster didn't even check the game to see if his claims were correct.

madrebel
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
i was flying the german planes first. i'm not going to sully the first experience in a RaF kite.

II./JG1_Krupinski
04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Thread should be deleted. Poster didn't even check the game to see if his claims were correct.

That may be so, but the fact remains - it's listed in the manual as having 4 different flap settings on page 84 under Chart 3. Climb and Turn Performance. 1) Landing 2) Take-off 3) Combat and 4) None.

It's a valid point.

Redroach
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Then lets remove that remaining fact - it's correctly modelled ingame and, apparently, a mistake has been made in the manual. Alright now?

Viper2000
04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Then lets remove that remaining fact - it's correctly modelled ingame and, apparently, another mistake has been made in the manual. Alright now?
Fixed! :-P

Flying Pencil
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
S! Mad!

Looks like you didnt waste time brewing up a storm! ;)

Frant

Redroach
04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
yeah, sorry, I got a bit carried away, but the constant nagging, even when issues are resolved, is a bit... sad, imo. We're still far from communities like that of WoW and such, but let's not head into that direction and let's stay constructive :)