PDA

View Full Version : How to set up your own MP Game

mcler002
04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Before we start off, I just want to say that i am neither an expert nor sure that I am 100% correct. But after some trial and error i managed to make a MP map with enemy AI and managed to spawn myself, in any plane of my choice…

For the moment I’ll take personal messages as I’m still 'practicing' myself...

Regards

mcler002
04-01-2011, 10:35 PM
To start with, load full mission builder in extra's...

Once this loads, cancel the 'open window'. Then press 'file' and hoover over 'Load Map'. Here you can choose between the 5 in-game built maps. Find one that suits you...
Refer to 1.FMB pic

Once you have done this, go back to the task bar, select 'Edit' and click on 'Armies'. To keep it simple, move 'United Kingdom' into RED and 'Germany' into BLUE (Move into 'IN USE').
Refer to 2.FMB pic

The next step i took was to add some 'fluff' into the 'briefings' box, found in the 'Edit' column. Just select new, select info and add some info about your 'mission'.
Refer to 3.FMB pic

Right, now time to add your spawn points. From the previous version of il2 (1946) this use to be done via Home Base... Now on COD you can have aircraft spawning at any point with easy... (If im wrong, please correct me - but from my exp you had to create a test runway {or fake runway as i like to think of it} and then you could place a Home Base on top...) I hope everyone understands that lol... Anyway as i havnt spent alot of time on this new FMB, ill just go with what i have so far... Go to the task bar, select 'View' and click on 'Object Browser'. Scroll and find 'Spawn Area', once you have done this find the place where you would like aircraft to spawn. Then simple hold down the Ctrl Key and click. This should place an icon on the map where your mouse icon has been. You can move it about if you are unhappy with your first choice. Inside the 'Object' window you should find two new tabs. Select 'Spawn area'. From here you can; edit the spawn point name, choose which army, select the nation etc etc. When you have finished the first 'Spawn Area' make sure you right click and press 'Un-Select' before continuing...
Refer to 4 and 5.FMB pic

Thats a start... Will carry on tomorrow! Save the mission in Multi under a name of your choice!

Cheers

Ross

mcler002
04-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Re open the ‘object browser’ and select one of the ‘spawn areas’. Then select the ‘aircraft tab’. Here you can choose which aircraft can be available to the players. In this case, I have chosen British aircraft for the UK spawn point, and German aircraft for the German spawn point.
Refer to 6.FMB pic

Once you have done this for both spawn points, you should technically be able to create a multiplayer game (I still need to test this… need to purchase a copy for my father’s steam account).
Refer to 8.FMB pic

To add ‘Front lines’ to the game, reopen ‘Object browser’ and select ‘Front marker’. Make sure that you select the right colour army before placing and that you place at one red and one blue front line marker. Again, Ctrl and left click to place markers down on the map (don’t forget to deselect afterwards!!!). Refer to 9.FMB pic – This shows you an example of a front line I made.

I shall do more testing later...

Cheers

mcler002
04-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Make sure you add the two files into the directory below

C:\Users\YOUR USER\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions\Multi\Dogfight

Very simple and it allows each user to choose any aircraft (within the maps limits) and any number of aircraft (which means AI planes or other users can join the formation/squad - which may be annoying if no one respects the hosts rules ie. no AI aircraft etc etc)

Any questions and please ask

Cheers

Extra note, all aircraft air spawn... havnt managed to get them to spawn park...

ADDED EXTRA AXIS BOMBER - PLAY AS RED TEAM AGAINST AI BLUE HE-111 x 18! SPAWN AT 'NORTH' FIRST, 'BASE' BETWEEN 12:05 - 07 AND 'SOUTH' BETWEEN 12:07 - 12:11 - happy hunting

mcler002
04-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Done some updating to this mission...

- Added some AA guns on both the 'red' and 'blue' bases.
- Added some 'sitting ducks' on the 'red' base

Cheers

Update - changed attachment - forgot to take off test plane opps :D

Fusek
04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for writing all this down, much appreciated!

mcler002
04-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey people

Have just done some fine tuning on this dogfight map i made

Got some AA defences for both sides. So if one team appears more dominate than the other, well hopefully the AA will keep the balance and stop strafing... (Even though it’s fun :D).

Blue does have the adv with upper ground + larger runway...

NEW UPDATE TO DOGFIGHT 1

After having a couple of games with my dad (with 'take off & land' off) i noticed that aircraft almost dive into the ground upon spawning (depending if the spawn points are set to park spawn)... therefore i have created two spawn points for each team. AS = Air spawn and PS = Parked spawn. Depending on the servers setting each player should choose the appropriate spawn point

Cheers

Ross

mcler002
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Hey all...

Only going to touch on this alittle... as i can’t really say 100% defo on hosting games via the internet... as for LAN, no problem...

The first image (MP 1) should be fairly obv for most people... choose client to look for servers available... but as we are all currently aware, you won’t find any. Instead you need to select 'direct connect' and enter a valid ip and port number (check the forms for running servers).

As for server, this is where you can set up your own game for everybody or just for you and your friends. Image 'MP 2' shows you that you can change the game description, name of the sever and allows you to input some info about the server. You can also limit the number of people you wish to have on the server and add a password to keep it an 'invite only' game.

Also on image 'MP 2' you can see two buttons labelled 'net' & 'realism'. Image 'MP 3' shows you the options available for net. You can either host the game via a lan connection or over the net (i guess you can make up your own ip and port number - sorry if I’m wrong!). As i said earlier, if you plan to host the game over the net for all to play, pass out the ip and port numbers!!!

Image 'MP 4' takes a look at the realism settings. Now after playing some servers online i can say that my 'flying' skills are rookie to novice lol... but either way i am enjoying the game (and the crashes :confused: ) no matter what the setting. It’s completely up to you which settings you want on and off, but remember that these settings can’t be changed (at the moment) once the server/ battle has started. I have highlighted a couple of items which i think you should be take into consideration when making a server, as at the current time, players who join the server can’t actually see these settings (a bug? which i believe has been noticed and possible fixed in the upcoming patch). Even i had trouble getting engines started in a couple of planes lol (not to mention blowing out several spitfire engines...:cool:)

Anyway, once you are happy with these areas click ok and you should move onto image 'MP5'. Select load mission and choose a map from the default selection (or any custom maps you've made or downloaded).

Thats it for tonight, ill finish the rest of either tomo or at some point during the week

Cheers

mcler002
04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Ok, to continue from yesterday...

The next image 'MP 6' is the screen you'll get after loading the game map. If you are happy with all the previous screens (settings you have made) then begin the battle.

This will bring you along to image 'MP 7'. Now at the moment any one who joins your server (or any servers you join) will not be able to see your rules, server settings etc (Hopefully the patch out on Friday should resolve this - ref to Monday (???) April 4 Development Update post). So for the moment the 'servers' are just basic dogfights. Going back to the image, click and select which army you'd like to join. The game will then load to image 'MP 8'

Now at this screen you can either create your own aircraft (and group...) or join a current group of aircraft already loaded on the server.

Until you can see the server rules, be smart and only create one aircraft! Try and avoid creating unused AI craft unless its a closed (your mates) server - where you know whats going on

To break down the 'Placecreate' (i think it should be planecreate)...
- Birthplace Make sure you select the appropriate base to spawn at... at the moment this is difficult because, again, there is no server screen telling you about the rules etc
- Aircraft Select the aircraft of your choice (depending on the server limits etc) and use the other drop down menu's to "customize" your aircraft. For example; country of origin, squadron group
- Flight For the moment everyone should just select 'flight1', and load up one aircraft (which will be your own). Any more than this and then there will be a "whole" server of AI aircraft (however, these can be accessed by other players through 'Change your plane'). So, again, until you know the server rules, or have a group of friends joining you etc etc etc, just one aircraft at a time!!!
- Fuel, Slot & Weapons - Should be fairly obvious for everyone. Make sure you 'lock & load' and have enough fuel for your (the server) mission or dogfight.

Once you are happy with the aircraft, click create. This should load you inside the aircraft and onto the battlefield...

With 'Change your plan', you can expand the window that is created. Inside will be a list of all the aircraft loaded on the battlefield. To go into a free or AI aircraft, expand into the selection (typically by double clicking) until you find the aircraft you wish to fly. Double click on the aircraft, this should bring your name next to the aircraft (if available). If the game doesn't load you into the aircraft straight away, just hit the 'fly' button on the left hand column.

Ok, i think that's everything. If anyone has a question, a problem with something i wrote (either me being wrong etc) or have confused you... then please make a post or mail me!

Cheers & happy flying

Ross

mcler002
04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Need to update everything due to new patch!

Defo some improvements!! :D

Cheers