PDA

View Full Version : How long before persistant online campaigns

Giantsfan24
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I remember back in the IL2 days in the mid 2000s, there was, on hyperlobby, a online campaign called something like Eastern Air War and Western Air War. It was based on a website that kept track of missions flown in hyperlobby then recorded the results on the website, then automatically set up more missions based on the result of the prior missions. It was alot of fun since your actions(say to attack a supply train) had real world consequences.

How long before something similar pops up for CoD?

Blackdog_kt
04-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once they patch this game to perform a bit better.

After reading the manual and having quick look in the mission builder, it's very obvious that we'll be able to have online mini-campaigns where we create our own missions and upload them to the server as the rest of the players are doing something similar or flying their own mission already. This is a built-in function of the game engine already, we are just waiting for the documentation/manuals and some optimizations.

So for example, if we get a 3rd party server manager tool (with the coming support for scripts) that can track supplies and so on, the server would just tell you "go on and win the battle for your team". It would be up to the players to decide what to attack and how.

The campaign would probably be just a populated map with specific values attached to each target. Then each one of us could design a mission in FMB, join the server and create a group to fly that mission. Other players could join in, or if they are not enough their positions are filled with AI wingmen.

It's like having a strategy game within the server. Oh and we can also have separate briefings for each team (axis/allies), fighters/bombers and even individual flights and it's also possible to upload images to the briefings (recon photos, etc) for more immersion. It's all within the FMB already, it's just waiting for us to use it :grin:

Giantsfan24
04-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Sounds promising. Hopefully next weeks patch(see roadmap) will allow more to get playable FPS. Out of curiosity, have you played the single player campaign? Is it very dynamic. By dynamic I don't mean F4/EECH dynamic but that there is some consequence to your action. That's what I love about that mode I was saying. The front line was always moving, and now, when you were sent on a mission to destroy a supply train, it meant something to the overall campaign.