PDA

View Full Version : How do I install to a different drive? Steam won't allow it.

major_setback
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
When installing the first part of the install (Steam), I am given the option to chose a folder, but only within C drive (main). It does not allow me to browse to my computer or go to another drive. I can only browse within C drive.

1) Does this mean the game will install here?
2) How do I direct it to another drive (D, my secondary drive)?

lion737
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Hopefully we get an answer. My C Drive is now full by 95 percent !!! That means my comp will crash soon.

JG52Uther
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I 'think' the only way to do it is to delete everything from you steam folder EXCEPT steamapps,steam.exe and maybe the client registry blob,move the folder to your new drive (D for example) then restart steam and it should update.
I think steam has to on the same drive as the game.

Fritz X
04-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I think steam has to on the same drive as the game.

Perfectly correct. Unfortunately Steam.exe as well as the games that run through it have to be installed on the same partition.

Divebomb
04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
but remember. steam isn't DRM.

Fjordmonkey
04-02-2011, 11:37 AM
What Uther said is the only way. What you can do is copy your Steamapps-folder to another drive, uninstall Steam, reinstall steam to the new drive and copy Steamapps into the new install-location. You might have to verify the integrity of the game cache after that. (go into your steam library, right-click IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, choose properties, go to the Local Files-tab and hit Verify integrity).

LcSummers
04-02-2011, 01:30 PM
If you want to move your game onto another drive.

First of all there is a verry good help from steam itself. Open steam and there you can hit help and search what you are looking for.

It explains well how to do.

Here is the link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-TDLC-0426

and

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526

LC

Gimpymoo
04-04-2011, 09:24 AM
http://gsm.duncsweb.com/

Works a treat :)

StreetGang
04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
It is possible, though I only know how to on windows 7. If you use 'mklink' to junction folders to a different drive, here's what I've done.

Firstly you need to move your il2 directory out of the steam/steamapps/common directory to whatever hard drive you would like it to run from, and make sure there is no il-2 directory in the steam/steamapps/common folder at all.

Open dos command prompt with 'run as administrator' rights (type 'cmd' in the run box)... now what we're going to attempt is to create a fake folder that steam will recognise as the il2 folder, but will actually link to the real il2 folder on a different harddrive. It's something to do with the NTFS file system and mirroring or something, I don't really understand how it works.

Type at the C: prompt- C:\mklink /j "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "D:\games\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

^ the first directory being where il2 was previously installed, and the second directory being where the il2 directory is currently located. The quotations are needed. Adjust the directory structure according to whatever your own system structure is.

This will create a mirrored folder shortcut in your steam/steamapps/common folder that links to the real il2 folder, so if you double click the folder, it will open as a regular folder but the files are stored where you previously cut and paste them and it works the same with steam.

You could theoretically do this with your documents folder as well.

I only do this when I have a particularly nasty system hog of a game, as I have a 60gb SSD with windows on it and obviously things are going to run better on an SSD, but space is limited.

Repost from another thread, same issue I believe.

swiss
04-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I could install on D: without a problem.
However, I there's a another folder in "my documents" with a bunch of stuff in it. What's up with that?

HFC_Dolphin
04-08-2011, 08:03 PM
There is a specific problem that can't be solved by changing the whole STEAM installation/folders to a new drive.
Let me explain.

I bought a new pc and I got an expensive SSD disk to be used ONLY for Win7, drivers and Clod. It's only 64GB and it can't fit all my STEAM games in there.
I don't care if X-steam game is installed in D drive, but all I want to do is to have CLOD in the SSD drive.

Anyone knows how to do this?
Silly Steam, they should be more smart and have a solution to this specific problem.

Anyone who can help?

335th_GRAthos
04-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Well,

The EASIEST way:
Let's say your SSD drive is C: ad your other drive is D:

You installed Steam at D:
Steam installed COD on D: normally under the directory il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
COPY the whole directory D:\....\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover to C:\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

From now on, launch the game NOT through steam but, starting the C:\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\launch.exe
Steam must be running on the background as always.

Your problem is solved...

PS1. When a new patch arrives through steam, you will have to copy the whole directory from D: to C. again.

PS2. Your conf.ini, confuser.ini etc etc are NOT impacted in any case as they are in the My Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover directory which always stays there and remains unchanged even if you move the files of the game fromD: to C:

Elpizo na boithisa...

~S~

HFC_Dolphin
04-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Eisai kai o protos Mano, THANKS!!!