Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD download, installation and activation threads

CoD download, installation and activation threads All discussions about installation, online activation and Steam

Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Approved Member

Default How do I install to a different drive? Steam won't allow it.

When installing the first part of the install (Steam), I am given the option to chose a folder, but only within C drive (main). It does not allow me to browse to my computer or go to another drive. I can only browse within C drive.

1) Does this mean the game will install here?
2) How do I direct it to another drive (D, my secondary drive)?

Flying online as Setback.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully we get an answer. My C Drive is now full by 95 percent !!! That means my comp will crash soon.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

I 'think' the only way to do it is to delete everything from you steam folder EXCEPT steamapps,steam.exe and maybe the client registry blob,move the folder to your new drive (D for example) then restart steam and it should update.
I think steam has to on the same drive as the game.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
I think steam has to on the same drive as the game.
Perfectly correct. Unfortunately Steam.exe as well as the games that run through it have to be installed on the same partition.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Approved Member

but remember. steam isn't DRM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

What Uther said is the only way. What you can do is copy your Steamapps-folder to another drive, uninstall Steam, reinstall steam to the new drive and copy Steamapps into the new install-location. You might have to verify the integrity of the game cache after that. (go into your steam library, right-click IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, choose properties, go to the Local Files-tab and hit Verify integrity).
Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

If you want to move your game onto another drive.

First of all there is a verry good help from steam itself. Open steam and there you can hit help and search what you are looking for.

It explains well how to do.

Here is the link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7710-TDLC-0426

and

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9609-OBMP-2526

LC

Last edited by LcSummers; 04-02-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Approved Member

http://gsm.duncsweb.com/

Works a treat
Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGang View Post
It is possible, though I only know how to on windows 7. If you use 'mklink' to junction folders to a different drive, here's what I've done.

Firstly you need to move your il2 directory out of the steam/steamapps/common directory to whatever hard drive you would like it to run from, and make sure there is no il-2 directory in the steam/steamapps/common folder at all.

Open dos command prompt with 'run as administrator' rights (type 'cmd' in the run box)... now what we're going to attempt is to create a fake folder that steam will recognise as the il2 folder, but will actually link to the real il2 folder on a different harddrive. It's something to do with the NTFS file system and mirroring or something, I don't really understand how it works.

Type at the C: prompt- C:\mklink /j "C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "D:\games\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

^ the first directory being where il2 was previously installed, and the second directory being where the il2 directory is currently located. The quotations are needed. Adjust the directory structure according to whatever your own system structure is.

This will create a mirrored folder shortcut in your steam/steamapps/common folder that links to the real il2 folder, so if you double click the folder, it will open as a regular folder but the files are stored where you previously cut and paste them and it works the same with steam.

You could theoretically do this with your documents folder as well.

I only do this when I have a particularly nasty system hog of a game, as I have a 60gb SSD with windows on it and obviously things are going to run better on an SSD, but space is limited.

Repost from another thread, same issue I believe.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Approved Member

I could install on D: without a problem.
However, I there's a another folder in "my documents" with a bunch of stuff in it. What's up with that?