PDA

View Full Version : SSD and Shell/Junction

JG52Krupi
03-31-2011, 09:11 PM
MODS IF YOU FIND THIS USEFUL PLEASE STICKY

I just moved my steam il2 to folder to my SSD drive and the stutters I experience in the game have reduced somewhat.

If your like me and have a small SSD and therefore can't move your entire steam folder on to your SSD then use a shell/junction.

START>search for CMD>right click and run as administrator

Then past the following into the box (Modified to represent your own PC of course)

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /j "E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "C:\Program Files (x86)\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

MadTommy
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
I use this method. I have not noticed the stutters many are complaining of, i'm guessing my SSD is a big factor in this.

bjoern.77
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Wow, most helpfull post i've stumbled across on in a while. Many thanks, i've always been slightly annoyed that steam doesn't allow you to choose location.

JG52Krupi
03-31-2011, 09:41 PM
To give credit where credit is due, these guys are the ones that helped me just passing it along.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21519564#post21519564

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998110

Wurschtie
03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Quite useful tip, thank you.

Unfortunately, I had my game on my SSD and freshly installed Windows from the very first minute. I don't want to know what it looks like on a regular HDD, to be honest ... :(

Triggaaar
03-31-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't have an SSD, but my steam games are on a different HDD than my OS, and I don't seem to be getting stutters (only a little flying so far)

jimbop
03-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Good thread, thanks. Now I just need an SSD...

Codex
03-31-2011, 11:14 PM
To the guys using an SSD, do you have Win and Steam Games on the same drive?

I'm just thinking I might get 2 dedicated SSDs, one just for Windows and another just for CoD. I predict that the file size of CoD getting bigger and bigger as time goes by.

Sorry if this has been addressed in the Steam forum links, I can't access them from work.

Heliocon
03-31-2011, 11:21 PM
I dont know if its because the game is only 32bit or somethingbut obviously its using memory rescources horrifically. It should NOT need to page the HD constantly, this stuff should go into the system ram for the game and store info for the vram there aswell...

JG52Krupi
04-01-2011, 12:40 AM
To the guys using an SSD, do you have Win and Steam Games on the same drive?

I'm just thinking I might get 2 dedicated SSDs, one just for Windows and another just for CoD. I predict that the file size of CoD getting bigger and bigger as time goes by.

Sorry if this has been addressed in the Steam forum links, I can't access them from work.

Yes i have windows on my SSD but as it is 160GB i doubt i will need to buy another one just for il2 :D

Also i just realized i have not updated it since i installed it.. i wonder what the performance increase will be.

jimbop
04-01-2011, 02:02 AM
I dont know if its because the game is only 32bit or somethingbut obviously its using memory rescources horrifically. It should NOT need to page the HD constantly, this stuff should go into the system ram for the game and store info for the vram there aswell...

I do not see much HDD activity once the mission is loaded. But if that is true then the addition of SSD would have little impact. Confused... think I'll wait for the next patch.

ATAG_Doc
05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I have used a method I found at this link in 1C forums (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20228) and it reduced my hiccups to hardly any. This was most helpful for me. Thank you.

CharveL
05-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes i have windows on my SSD but as it is 160GB i doubt i will need to buy another one just for il2 :D

Also i just realized i have not updated it since i installed it.. i wonder what the performance increase will be.

Yeah, I have both on the SSD but then again I only have CLoD and Arma2+expansions, plus one or two other games installed in Steam right now. If I start buying more games then I'll be looking to do the Steam Mover thing.

The great thing is how fast CLoD starts up and loads missions. Very cool.

Vengeanze
05-28-2011, 10:13 PM
So now I need a feckin SSD-disc too?!?
This is getting ridicolous.:evil:

Derinahon
05-29-2011, 01:11 AM
So now I need a feckin SSD-disc too?!?
This is getting ridicolous.:evil:

I used a junction until recently, it doesn't make any noticeable difference for me in game, but loading times are reduced a little. The only games on my SSD now are ARMA2 and Crysis, both of which really do benefit unlike CoD IMO.

Widowmaker214
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I installed Win 7 Ult fresh on a Vertex 3 SSD/Sata III connection (only getting about 375mb/s over the rated 500..probably cause of my controller on the mobo)...
but windows 7, Steam, and CLOD are all on the SSD.

No stutters. never seen a stutter.

now if we can get SLI working I can use the remaining 3 cores of my cards :)

BPickles
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
what about when it comes to updates? does steam still update my game properly?

katdogfizzow
12-27-2011, 06:40 AM
what about when it comes to updates? does steam still update my game properly?

yes

Vulgar
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Better than running on ssd is run from ram. Here is a post on the forums about such and links to the two utilities you need. No need to purchase an ssd as ram is faster.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20228&highlight=gamebooster

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

To bad game developers do not program for Linux, as it is easy to run a Linux install from ram completely, running apps or the OS itself directly from ram has been around since the beginning, that's how it was done before hardrives. To bad developers and m$ does not learn from the best, oh wait, let me list all the programs and features m$ stole from Linux, no wait there is not enough room here.