Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Default SSD and Shell/Junction

MODS IF YOU FIND THIS USEFUL PLEASE STICKY

I just moved my steam il2 to folder to my SSD drive and the stutters I experience in the game have reduced somewhat.

If your like me and have a small SSD and therefore can't move your entire steam folder on to your SSD then use a shell/junction.

START>search for CMD>right click and run as administrator

Then past the following into the box (Modified to represent your own PC of course)

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /j "E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" "C:\Program Files (x86)\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

I use this method. I have not noticed the stutters many are complaining of, i'm guessing my SSD is a big factor in this.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Wow, most helpfull post i've stumbled across on in a while. Many thanks, i've always been slightly annoyed that steam doesn't allow you to choose location.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Approved Member

To give credit where credit is due, these guys are the ones that helped me just passing it along.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...4#post21519564

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=998110

Quote:
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Quite useful tip, thank you.

Unfortunately, I had my game on my SSD and freshly installed Windows from the very first minute. I don't want to know what it looks like on a regular HDD, to be honest ...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Approved Member

I don't have an SSD, but my steam games are on a different HDD than my OS, and I don't seem to be getting stutters (only a little flying so far)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Good thread, thanks. Now I just need an SSD...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Approved Member

To the guys using an SSD, do you have Win and Steam Games on the same drive?

I'm just thinking I might get 2 dedicated SSDs, one just for Windows and another just for CoD. I predict that the file size of CoD getting bigger and bigger as time goes by.

Sorry if this has been addressed in the Steam forum links, I can't access them from work.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

I dont know if its because the game is only 32bit or somethingbut obviously its using memory rescources horrifically. It should NOT need to page the HD constantly, this stuff should go into the system ram for the game and store info for the vram there aswell...
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
To the guys using an SSD, do you have Win and Steam Games on the same drive?

I'm just thinking I might get 2 dedicated SSDs, one just for Windows and another just for CoD. I predict that the file size of CoD getting bigger and bigger as time goes by.

Sorry if this has been addressed in the Steam forum links, I can't access them from work.
Yes i have windows on my SSD but as it is 160GB i doubt i will need to buy another one just for il2

Also i just realized i have not updated it since i installed it.. i wonder what the performance increase will be.

Quote: