PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft fires.

engarde
03-31-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm hugely impressed how much and how often the sim delivers damaged aircraft on fire like actual gun cam shots.

It seems there is no limit to parts of aircraft that can catch fire.

ive started fires on wing roots, wing tips, elevators, engines, seemingly everywhere.

mostly from spits or hurris after hosing them with ammo, there will be a part that burns.

then the plane dives or spins into the ocean.

it really does look like gun camera footage where a part of the plane is on fire, a small blossom of flame flickering away.

BobTuck
04-01-2011, 11:21 PM
This happened to my Hurricane, and the impressive thing was that the fire was an alive thing, not just a static decoration. It started at my rear fuselarge and I thought, its ok, it'll stay there or burn itself out.

How wrong I was! It crept down the fuselage towards me, getting stronger and stronger. I panicked and bailed out!

BobTuck.

Strike
04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
At the moment I am simply shocked over how detailed the damage model is. They have REALLY improved over the previous installment.

So far I've seen:

Bf-109 cannon ammo explode and rip off wing.
Spitfire oxygen tank blastout
Spitfire radio smokepuff
Spitfire individual exhaust-stack showing a bad cylinder (yellow flames out of only one exhauststack)
Bf-110 Right gear uplock failure (gear drop)
Spreading fires
Destroyed shock-struts (no compression)
Destroyed flap hoses, brake-lines, tires etc.

The FLAK explosions also are very neat with physical modeled shrapnel that hit you in a realistic manner. Also the ground explosions spread shrapnel.

Very very impressed!

Blackdog_kt
04-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Damn, this is impressive. I better finish tweaking it soon and get to flying :grin:

Space Communist
04-02-2011, 03:11 AM
At the moment I am simply shocked over how detailed the damage model is. They have REALLY improved over the previous installment.

So far I've seen:

Bf-109 cannon ammo explode and rip off wing.
Spitfire oxygen tank blastout
Spitfire radio smokepuff
Spitfire individual exhaust-stack showing a bad cylinder (yellow flames out of only one exhauststack)
Bf-110 Right gear uplock failure (gear drop)
Spreading fires
Destroyed shock-struts (no compression)
Destroyed flap hoses, brake-lines, tires etc.

The FLAK explosions also are very neat with physical modeled shrapnel that hit you in a realistic manner. Also the ground explosions spread shrapnel.

Very very impressed!

Daaaammmnn that sounds awesome why must I wait for the 19th!

Mr_Zooly
04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Shredding the tyres on a Stuka and damaging the dive brakes too, also watch the oil leaks as they flow out of the damaged area, just a nice touch.

[RS]Boomer
04-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Daaaammmnn that sounds awesome why must I wait for the 19th!
You don't have too Space! I live in Arizona, and I bought it on yesterday from justflight.com. No problems activating it or anything. :cool:

scott_fitz96
04-03-2011, 08:58 PM
One minor gripe that I've noticed with IL-2 is that if you are in, say, a B-17 flying at 15 000 feet, you get shot at, wing comes off and you go spiralling out of control. You hit the ground, vertically, at around 300mph, and the wreckage is clearly visible on the surface, and the debris simply bounces off to one side, somtimes staying in the air! :o

Surely, in real life, the plane would be an unrecognisable, mangled smoking wreck 20 feet underground!

So, if anyone wants to test the theory, I am wondering if this has been changed in CoD.

Thankyou, I can't wait for this game myself!
Tally-ho,
Scott. ;)

Rattlehead
04-03-2011, 10:31 PM
It's great to hear about the damage modelling...to be honest I was wondering about it after spraying a Heinkel with nearly my whole loadout and being shocked that it didn't show much damage afterwards. :(

Maybe it was my aim??

Space Communist
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
It's great to hear about the damage modelling...to be honest I was wondering about it after spraying a Heinkel with nearly my whole loadout and being shocked that it didn't show much damage afterwards. :(

Maybe it was my aim??

It's the fact that the British had no functional aircraft cannons at the time. Relying on the .303 to bring down a bomber is a pretty random process. You might kill the pilot, start a major fire, or cut a control wire in one burst, or you might empty your guns and have the thing stagger home looking like swiss cheese.

Although I have heard about some bugs in getting your loadout to save, you might want to try a different ammunition setup. I think later in the war most guns were fitted with half AP and half incendiary rounds, which would be a much more powerful combination than was standard during the BoB. They used mostly regular ball ammo and tracers, with maybe one gun fitted with incendiary. Supply shortages would have prevented most pilots in real life from taking the AP/incendiary setup, but I think you can in the game.