PDA

View Full Version : Can we get realistic 'Recommended Specs'

*Buzzsaw*
03-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Salute

A lot of us have been waiting to buy a system until CLIFFS OF DOVER came out.

There are various recommended system specs out there on various websites, but considering the feedback from Russia these recommendations seem to be actually only likely to run mid range settings on the game.

Plus none of these sites mention that SLI or Crossfire setups with dual cards are poison to the CoD program.

Can someone in 1C or the developers team give us a detailed breakdown of what works and what doesn't?

For those of us who are still hoping to buy the game and want to get the program to run as best as possible, even with the issues documented, this would be a big help.

For that reason, here are a list of questions:

What operating system works best with the program? 32 bit or 64?

What are the optimum number of cores in the CPU? 2, 4, 6? Is raw speed more important than number of cores?

What is the optimum amount of Memory? 4 Gigs is recommended, but some players who seem to be getting good results are running 8 Gigs.

This program seems to be a VRAM hog. What kind of video card works best? AMD Radeon or NVidia? 1024 mgs of VRAM is recommended, but what about cards with more? How much is optimal? Is it better to get a card like the 6970 with 2048 Gigs of VRAM or is it better to get a card like the GTX 570 with 1.25 gigs which would run a less up to date game better? Is for example the AMD Radeon 6990 dual processor card with 4 Gigs of VRAM worthwhile? How about the Nvidia GTX-590? Is the game optimized to use such cards or would the dual graphics processors on a single card have the same problems as dual cards in SLI or Crossfire?

What about the HD's? Are very fast HD's important to allow access to the program?

Detailed and honest answers to these questions would go a long way to restoring faith in the developers and designers.

addman
03-26-2011, 06:51 AM
+1! Plz revise the specs, they are misleading. Imagine if you told a Call of Duty player "yeah the game runs fine! just don't go shooting inside the cities because that will grind any PC to a halt". They would never stand for it and frankly, why should we?

Tree_UK
03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Your going to a need a very powerful PC to get half decent performance, SLI/Crossfire currently does not work, Luthier did say that they had never tested with either though so maybe it never did.

T}{OR
03-26-2011, 08:04 AM
+1

Your going to a need a very powerful PC to get half decent performance, SLI/Crossfire currently does not work, Luthier did say that they had never tested with either though so maybe it never did.

By todays standards, not having a dual GPU support is pretty much appalling.

sod16
03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
From all my experiance with video games and system requirements I know for a fact that anything said my the devs are big sweaty lies.

For instance. Crysis 2 and Battlefield Bad company 2 run @ 30 to 60FPS on my 6850 BE (dual fan). That is on DX11 which btw eats card performance. Take note that before the latest drivers it couldn't even do 20FPS.

This game doesn't come CLOSE to DX11 quality games. It is just very badly optimised.
You also have to remember that drivers from ATI/nvidia can improve performance up to 20% or even 200%. I know this from experiance and if you look at release notes on nvidia they always have "xxx game improved by 10%+. Patches alone can improve performance greatly. As you can see this epi filter has managed to chew performance away and until they remove it we're just going to have to wait 5 or 10 years to play this game properly.

OTHERWISE without (and a few updates/patches it we could easy get 30FPS @ 1080p with a mid range $200 graphic card 4GB ram and QUAD CORE @ 2.4Ghz +. A lot of the strain on GOOD games should be on your processor, and it should eat ram up, then use the graphic card last for textures and things.

*Buzzsaw*
03-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Salute

Waiting for information from the developers for a realistic recommended specs.

choctaw111
03-26-2011, 06:07 PM
I still find it hard to believe why any developer would not include multiple GPU support.
Hopefully that will be addressed as well.

SEE
03-26-2011, 06:27 PM
The most reliable spec info will come from enthusiasts in the next few weeks following Title release and subsequent optimisation fixes. I have a Dual Core PC, GTS250 and 4Gb ram on XP and not expecting anything other than minimal settings but at least I can get familiar with the interface and new engine management features. My glass is half full in that respect.

My mobo will support Quad core 775 sckt and I will be looking to see if upgrading the CPU could offer a cost effective way to improve my current set up to at least mid settings. I look forward to all the reviews and specs, etc and will use them as a the only reliable benchmark.

House M.D.
03-26-2011, 06:30 PM
If you really want to run this game at maximum settings, you need this computer:

http://mylovetechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/supercomputer-banks-noaa2.jpg

JAMF
03-27-2011, 09:53 AM
If you really want to run this game at maximum settings, you need this computer:

[IMG ]

Not likely, when we've (so far) seen only one core being used on the taskmanager with the 32Bit launcher.

kimosabi
03-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Not likely, when we've (so far) seen only one core being used on the taskmanager with the 32Bit launcher.

32bit launcher? Please say that it has a 64bit launcher as well?

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
32bit launcher? Please say that it has a 64bit launcher as well?

No it doesn't.

Bryan21cag
03-27-2011, 11:13 AM
i am running what is in my signature below and in the games current state

over Water, i can max out all settings and get flawless performance.

over land with All settings as low as they go, it is unplayable even with just me and the environment rendered without any other planes in the sky.

Thats about where it stands until the public or the professionals figure out what is wrong. that should give you some base line.

I would advise against getting any new hardware though at least until this first group of issues is ironed out.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
i am running what is in my signature below and in the games current state

over Water, i can max out all settings and get flawless performance.

over land with All settings as low as they go, it is unplayable even with just me and the environment rendered without any other planes in the sky.

Thats about where it stands until the public or the professionals figure out what is wrong. that should give you some base line.

I would advise against getting any new hardware though at least until this first group of issues is ironed out.

Which is why in all the pre-release marketing they rufused to show any 'in game' over land.

Bryan21cag
03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Which is why in all the pre-release marketing they rufused to show any 'in game' over land.

LOL a conspiracy guy i am not but this does seem to play rite into your hand doesn't it lol

hmmm its almost as if your behind this whole thing tree :P

you wouldn't happen to know where binladin has been hiding out all this time would you? we could use a heads up on that for your next trick :P

cheers:)

Sauf
03-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Well the flight over London was shown before release, or is that swamp?

camel24hrs
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like this sim may not make it in the long run if it is unflyable on a decent pc. Something sounded fishy with the lack of information being put out leading up to the release. My hard copy is not going to be ready till April 19th. I will be watching and listening and if this sim has major problems I will cancel my order and continue the fun with ROF. All you guys who get your hands on this sim, please post your results along with your system specs.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
LOL a conspiracy guy i am not but this does seem to play rite into your hand doesn't it lol

hmmm its almost as if your behind this whole thing tree :P

you wouldn't happen to know where binladin has been hiding out all this time would you? we could use a heads up on that for your next trick :P

cheers:)

Currently Binladin is deep inside a cave hiding, he's just making breakfast for Oleg and Luthier.

Sauf
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Currently Binladin is deep inside a cave hiding, he's just making breakfast for Oleg and Luthier.

LOL, oooops, Not funny tree ;)

Bryan21cag
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM

i suppose a wee bit of bloody specificity is out of the question :P lol

lol oops sry you did say he was making breakfast i guess that's pretty god damn specific rofl

/facepalm :P

my apologies sir :)

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 11:44 AM
i suppose a wee bit of bloody specificity is out of the question :P lol

lol oops sry you did say he was making breakfast i guess that's pretty god damn specific rofl

/facepalm :P

my apologies sir :)

Seriously though, thanks for your efforts on testing this Bryan, keep up the good work.

kimosabi
03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
No it doesn't.

Bah. So what the hell am I supposed to do with 8gigs of ram then... A "State of the art" flightsim that cannot utilize todays hardware. Another thing they have to look into.

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Bah. So what the hell am I supposed to do with 8gigs of ram then... A "State of the art" flightsim that cannot utilize todays hardware. Another thing they have to look into.

I've got 12Gb, but it looks good in my PC :grin:

kimosabi
03-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm counting on that they will implement more up to date applications in the near future though. If not, too bad and c'est la vie. :grin:

choctaw111
03-27-2011, 12:33 PM

I thought for sure he was hiding in the White House.
It seems that the development team has been hiding in a cave though. For several years it seems, as their newest creation doesn't use multi-core or SLI.
For the first time in my forum history I will say this...WTF!!!

Tree_UK
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I thought for sure he was hiding in the White House.

On topic, from what I have seen, the sim looks great, but performs disastrously.
What is really going on?

The sim does look fantastic, I dont think many would disagree on that point.

TheGrunch
03-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Lixma over at SimHQ seems to be having a bit more luck than most now that he actually restarted his PC after installing. ;) Still not that good over land, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBGGnM84jTc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJ1W9DLdbA&feature=player_embedded

"i7 930 @ 4 ghz
6 gigs RAM
ATi HD5870
Win-7 64
And i'm a Libra."

Warhound
03-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Most people I've seen who run a older I7 and a ATI5XXX card seem to have reasonable to good FPS except over London.
Some with better specs appear to have problems, but they all seem to run SLI or Crossfire which is know to be buggy in COD till a patch fixes/improves it.

So I'd imagine an I5 2500k with a 6970 (or a biosflashed 6950) and 8GB's of RAM should be pretty near recommended specs. And imho any gamer buying a pc now should aim for a I2500K and a ATI 6970/Nvidia 580 right now anyhow. (or higher if you have the money to spare)

What i'm mostly wondering is if a SSD-drive helps with the stutters over land or if with 8GB RAM the HDD-speed is irrelevant?

cato_larsen
03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
My spec.

CPU: C2D E8400 @3.6
GPU: XFX 6870 1gb
RAM: 4GB
SCREENS: 3x22" @5040x1050

Now, it is not the graphics that is the issue, can run it decent at whatever settings from start. But that is over sea. Problem is when the CPU needs loading over land. Stuttering is the killer in this game. Flight is ok and all, but the stuttering is horrible.
Going down to 1 screen at 1680x1050 helps, but still..

I am sure it will be better....

Oldschool61
03-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Think of how many pron sites you can have running at the same time :)