Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Approved Member

Default Can we get realistic 'Recommended Specs'

Salute

A lot of us have been waiting to buy a system until CLIFFS OF DOVER came out.

There are various recommended system specs out there on various websites, but considering the feedback from Russia these recommendations seem to be actually only likely to run mid range settings on the game.

Plus none of these sites mention that SLI or Crossfire setups with dual cards are poison to the CoD program.

Can someone in 1C or the developers team give us a detailed breakdown of what works and what doesn't?

For those of us who are still hoping to buy the game and want to get the program to run as best as possible, even with the issues documented, this would be a big help.

For that reason, here are a list of questions:

What operating system works best with the program? 32 bit or 64?

What are the optimum number of cores in the CPU? 2, 4, 6? Is raw speed more important than number of cores?

What is the optimum amount of Memory? 4 Gigs is recommended, but some players who seem to be getting good results are running 8 Gigs.

This program seems to be a VRAM hog. What kind of video card works best? AMD Radeon or NVidia? 1024 mgs of VRAM is recommended, but what about cards with more? How much is optimal? Is it better to get a card like the 6970 with 2048 Gigs of VRAM or is it better to get a card like the GTX 570 with 1.25 gigs which would run a less up to date game better? Is for example the AMD Radeon 6990 dual processor card with 4 Gigs of VRAM worthwhile? How about the Nvidia GTX-590? Is the game optimized to use such cards or would the dual graphics processors on a single card have the same problems as dual cards in SLI or Crossfire?

What about the HD's? Are very fast HD's important to allow access to the program?

Detailed and honest answers to these questions would go a long way to restoring faith in the developers and designers.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 03-26-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Approved Member

+1! Plz revise the specs, they are misleading. Imagine if you told a Call of Duty player "yeah the game runs fine! just don't go shooting inside the cities because that will grind any PC to a halt". They would never stand for it and frankly, why should we?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Tree_UK

Your going to a need a very powerful PC to get half decent performance, SLI/Crossfire currently does not work, Luthier did say that they had never tested with either though so maybe it never did.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Your going to a need a very powerful PC to get half decent performance, SLI/Crossfire currently does not work, Luthier did say that they had never tested with either though so maybe it never did.
By todays standards, not having a dual GPU support is pretty much appalling.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

From all my experiance with video games and system requirements I know for a fact that anything said my the devs are big sweaty lies.

For instance. Crysis 2 and Battlefield Bad company 2 run @ 30 to 60FPS on my 6850 BE (dual fan). That is on DX11 which btw eats card performance. Take note that before the latest drivers it couldn't even do 20FPS.

This game doesn't come CLOSE to DX11 quality games. It is just very badly optimised.
You also have to remember that drivers from ATI/nvidia can improve performance up to 20% or even 200%. I know this from experiance and if you look at release notes on nvidia they always have "xxx game improved by 10%+. Patches alone can improve performance greatly. As you can see this epi filter has managed to chew performance away and until they remove it we're just going to have to wait 5 or 10 years to play this game properly.

OTHERWISE without (and a few updates/patches it we could easy get 30FPS @ 1080p with a mid range $200 graphic card 4GB ram and QUAD CORE @ 2.4Ghz +. A lot of the strain on GOOD games should be on your processor, and it should eat ram up, then use the graphic card last for textures and things.

Last edited by sod16; 03-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Approved Member

Salute

Waiting for information from the developers for a realistic recommended specs.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

I still find it hard to believe why any developer would not include multiple GPU support.
Hopefully that will be addressed as well.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

The most reliable spec info will come from enthusiasts in the next few weeks following Title release and subsequent optimisation fixes. I have a Dual Core PC, GTS250 and 4Gb ram on XP and not expecting anything other than minimal settings but at least I can get familiar with the interface and new engine management features. My glass is half full in that respect.

My mobo will support Quad core 775 sckt and I will be looking to see if upgrading the CPU could offer a cost effective way to improve my current set up to at least mid settings. I look forward to all the reviews and specs, etc and will use them as a the only reliable benchmark.

Last edited by SEE; 03-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

If you really want to run this game at maximum settings, you need this computer:

Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by House M.D. View Post
If you really want to run this game at maximum settings, you need this computer:

[IMG ]
Not likely, when we've (so far) seen only one core being used on the taskmanager with the 32Bit launcher.