PDA

View Full Version : Will CoD make use of Nvidia Cuda or Physx? Not sure if detail has been released?

Mysticpuma
02-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Pretty much sums up the question.

I understand it is DirectX 10 but wonder if it will also be Cuda/Physx enabled too?

I'm currently between getting a ATI 6950 or an Nvidia Frozr 560 Ti and the information would help in the decision.

Cheers, MP

Tvrdi
02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I doubt...

ghodan
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
My gues is: No it wont.

Tree_UK
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I very much doubt it also. I was considering using one of my GTX285's as a dedicated physics card and then getting a GTX580 for the main card, but by all accounts there wont be any advantage to this, i dont think physics were around when this game began development.

Flanker35M
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
S!

There has been no mention of CUDA or PhysX at all in ANY information from Oleg & Team. And frankly, that is a good thing NOT to have this included..Not another "one trick poney" like IL-2 Sturmovik was and still is favoring NV hardware. DirectX where both brands do just fine :) Rest up to the driver teams how well they get their job done.

Mysticpuma
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi Flanker.

I understand your POV as Nvidia were the main target for IL2 years ago, I was just interested as it is now getting to the time where I am updating my card (with a £200 budget) and I have to way up;

Nvidia 560 - Pretty much as-fast as the 6950 but draws more power and uses mini HDMI, but does have Cuda and PhysX + 3D for a later date

ATI - Full-size HDMI, Multi-screen, Less Power draw (so good for Crossfire)

I'm edging the 560 anyway, but wondered if it would be utilised to the max with the extra Processing Power it has?

Cheers, MP

BRIGGBOY
02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
if cuda and physx are not included then why not go with the 6950 and flash the BIOS to get 6970 performance.

Heliocon
02-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Cuda yes becuase you have to use cuda to support the cards I believe (thats how they operate). Physx is different and is a nvidia specific program and I havent heard of it being supported.

louisv
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
What would you do with PhysX in a flight simulator ?

PhysX ensures that eventually all games will feel and look alike...

i.e: If you use it for fabric, it will be the same look and feel as all other games that use PhysX...

Anyway the only thing i can see is more fragments coming out of explosion...frankly it just isn't worth it.

My two cents...

PS: Cuda is another story.

Il2Pongo
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
in that Aerodynamics is a branch of physics, its not that far fetched that an optimized physics processor could improve the game if it was written to actually calculate such things as the flight dynamics based on some super precision definition of the characteristics of each aircraft and track it as it changes deforms etc.
Ballistics is also a branch of physics.

But if you can make the game with tables defining each aircraft in a way that is indistinguishable from the physics calculating version it is much easier to develop and control. That is what has been done here.

Avimimus
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Oleg's team had a tech demo of their own physics engine back in 2005. If I recall the reports they had barrels being knocked by blast waves and then rolling into wire fences and bouncing off of them (the wires acting like elastics). I doubt we'll see this type of detail in CoD, but I bet the engine can handle it.

It would be interesting to find out if there are real technical barriers to offloading physics calculations to the GPU, given that Oleg is using his own physics engine.

Les
02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
...I understand it is DirectX 10 but wonder if it will also be Cuda/Physx enabled too?

I'm currently between getting a ATI 6950 or an Nvidia Frozr 560 Ti and the information would help in the decision...

From what I've seen and read, neither PhysX or Cuda will be utilized. The fact that there's still some question about it also confirms it won't be utilized, as it's something that surely would have been made known by now if it were to be implemented, and it would actually contradict some other things that have been made known.

About CUDA though, if you're using Adobe Premiere Pro or Photoshop (and perhaps After Effects, I'm not sure) for your movies, then going nVidia would be a good idea, as they do make use of CUDA to speed things up quite a bit when editing.