PDA

View Full Version : Player operated AA "FlaK" guns?

Flying Pencil
02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Will player operated AA guns be added in future?

While low alt defense small caliber AA guns are pretty much point and shoot, the high alt "FlaK" guns had special machines to calculate intercept and was entered by hand (later was all motorized).

kestrel79
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
We haven't heard much on this feature in quite some time. I wonder if it was cut from the release version of the game?

I was really looking forward to this as I like being a bomber gunner. Hope to see it in the game at some point.

The Kraken
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read some time ago that this feature won't make it into the release. Would be neat for some occasional action but not really fundamental for now. Anyway I guess modeling more complex Flak installations wouldn't be development time spent too well. Interesting for sure, but if I could get some obscure plane instead, the choice would be clear to me...

Strike
02-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I think crewable flak guns is a GREAT idea for MP... imagine your base coming under heavy vulching or something like that.. No use spawning a plane because you are strafed or damaged on ground. But with mannable flak guns you can get back at them with a 40mm, 20mm or .50 cal :)

I like the 88mm FLAK idea, but it's complicated for a wwii aircombat sim?

Skoshi Tiger
02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Will player operated AA guns be added in future?

While low alt defense small caliber AA guns are pretty much point and shoot, the high alt "FlaK" guns had special machines to calculate intercept and was entered by hand (later was all motorized).

But who would you choose to be? The person controlling elevation? Traverse? Distance measuring? Fuse setting? Ammunition handler or the guy pulling the cord to make it go bang?

It'd be hard getting half a dozen people online to properly handle one of the big guns.

F19_lacrits
02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
But who would you choose to be? The person controlling elevation? Traverse? Distance measuring? Fuse setting? Ammunition handler or the guy pulling the cord to make it go bang?

It'd be hard getting half a dozen people online to properly handle one of the big guns.

I had no problems handling multiple types of artillery and AA-guns in BattleField 1942 or Battlefield 2 forgotten hope.. It doesn't have to be that difficult just cause it's the greatest most detailed WWII flight sim ever ;)

JG53Frankyboy
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
light AAA (lets say up to 40mm caliber) would be ok to be playercontroled. These calibers were used to aim directly at single aircraft.
caliber like 88mm not.................

the numbers of planes and AAA pieces are in game most times much lower than in reality.

Erkki
02-16-2011, 11:08 AM
light AAA (lets say up to 40mm caliber) would be ok to be playercontroled. These calibers were used to aim directly at single aircraft.
caliber like 88mm not.................

the numbers of planes and AAA pieces are in game most times much lower than in reality.

Bofors 40mm is murderous in WW2OL. Though partially because human gunners can actually play "flak traps", letting the target close before opening the cross fire...

BadAim
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Bofors 40mm is murderous in WW2OL. Though partially because human gunners can actually play "flak traps", letting the target close before opening the cross fire...

As it should be.....It was murderous IRL. It's no wonder that every combatant save for the Japanese used a version of it (and the Japanese suffered mightily for it, as they never had an effective medium range AA gun).

Back on topic, I sure hope to see manable AA guns, but I can wait if it needs to be put off, just like drivable cars, it will be a cool addition once there is a lull in the programming action and someone can be spared for it, but certainly not a top priority.

Strike
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
As it should be.....It was murderous IRL. It's no wonder that every combatant save for the Japanese used a version of it (and the Japanese suffered mightily for it, as they never had an effective medium range AA gun).

Back on topic, I sure hope to see manable AA guns, but I can wait if it needs to be put off, just like drivable cars, it will be a cool addition once there is a lull in the programming action and someone can be spared for it, but certainly not a top priority.

Indeed CoD has such detailed ground objects that driving a car should be an excellent way to explore the cities and countrysides of CoD :) I can see interesting MP missions developing from this, aswell as incorporation of, for instance, naval warfare? Imagine using realistic physics and advanced damage models to do naval warfare and better yet try to fend off stukas trying to bomb your ship :)

I believe Oleg pretty much said the game engine would ALLOW this for the FUTURE. And perhaps broaden the Horizon to make a WWIIOnline-like world war two combat simulator.

That would be awesome!! But for now, I'm more than happy with the Planes of the BoB =)

JG53Frankyboy
02-16-2011, 11:48 AM

indeed, the 40mm Bofors and 3.7 cm Flak 36 would be my personal favorites for "playable" AA guns in CoD.

F19_lacrits
02-16-2011, 12:19 PM
indeed, the 40mm Bofors and 3.7 cm Flak 36 would be my personal favorites for "playable" AA guns in CoD.

A quad 20mm wouldn't be so boring either.. or a pom-pom :D

Sauf
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Indeed CoD has such detailed ground objects that driving a car should be an excellent way to explore the cities and countrysides of CoD :)

Nah you can keep your car, i vote for Matchless, AJS, Velocette, Triumph, Zundapp and BMW motorcycle add-ons to do my exploring :-P

Flying Pencil
02-17-2011, 05:16 PM

It can be MUCH simpler then that.
You are just over complicating the processes to make it acruate.

The key was the spotter, who used a giant binocular to track the EA and provide range data. He would then adjust his track to compensate for wind and vector changes to target.

Spotter could control a battery of 4 to 8 heavy AA guns.

Of course the shells would need to very imprecise to reflect real world forces.

WTE_Galway
02-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Nah you can keep your car, i vote for Matchless, AJS, Velocette, Triumph, Zundapp and BMW motorcycle add-ons to do my exploring :-P

lets not forget the WD16H Norton ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Norton_16H_1942.JPG/800px-Norton_16H_1942.JPG

the WD/RE Royal Enfield ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Royal_Enfield_Flying_Flea_1942.JPG/800px-Royal_Enfield_Flying_Flea_1942.JPG

and teh Excelsior (Corgi) Welbike ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Image-South_Africa-Johannesburg_Military_Museum002.jpg/800px-Image-South_Africa-Johannesburg_Military_Museum002.jpg

Krt_Bong
02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I want to drive the train... ;)

JAMF
02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I want to drive the train... ;)For you, someone made "Railworks2: Trainsimulator". It's available on Steam. :wink:

David603
02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Keep the bikes, this is what I want :)
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4276/mo10r19901.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/mo10r19901.jpg/)

Avimimus
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
It can be MUCH simpler then that.
You are just over complicating the processes to make it acruate.

The key was the spotter, who used a giant binocular to track the EA and provide range data. He would then adjust his track to compensate for wind and vector changes to target.

Spotter could control a battery of 4 to 8 heavy AA guns.

Of course the shells would need to very imprecise to reflect real world forces.

Now that would be neat - being a battery director!

Lucas_From_Hell
02-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Driving a car with some fighter-bomber jock trying to make Swiss cheese out of you should be quite a thrilling experience, for sure.

Flying Pencil
02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Aces High and Battleground Europe both have the ability to take control of a AA gun, 40mm Bofors for instance. I would say it is a must for CoD in upgrade.