PDA

View Full Version : SolidShield DRM

KG26_Alpha
02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/5151024809

Wutz
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
meaning if during the life time of the series you switch more than five times your computer, you have a expensive blinker only? http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/RSS-Martin/Comics/smilie_wut_077.gifhttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/RSS-Martin/Comics/51.gif

T}{OR
02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I am going to copy my question here from the system requirements thread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18417&page=32):

Anyway, I don't see what is the big deal? You activate once after you install the game and that is all, go offline and enjoy the game - next time you don't need to be online to play/start the game. The problem here (we don't have the exact answer) is how many activations you have after the initial 5. Do the new activations accumulate every month until they reach 5 in total or do we just have one per month afterwards. Hope we get an answer soon.

mmaruda
02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I was quite happy when the Steam option was the deal. How come when I pay for a product I have an install limit? Wouldn't it be better to just have something like Rise of Flight has? Or any Steam game? Online activations suck!

4H_V-man
02-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Lots of things from Ubi suck...

hiro
02-04-2011, 05:29 AM
meaning if during the life time of the series you switch more than five times your computer, you have a expensive blinker only? http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/RSS-Martin/Comics/smilie_wut_077.gifhttp://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/RSS-Martin/Comics/51.gif

oh man I ****** hope not. I really hope not. I'm a computer tech by trade so sometimes I get to "borrow" a test PC or test games on our test server. Also my own PC usually gets parts swapped out.

So my hardware changing nature might lend me some trouble . . .

* insert your favorite explicative here

Online activations are ok IF you're playing a MMO. Because of the nature of the game.

But IL2 COD ? Penalizing the good guy? Maybe they'll change it like ROF changed theirs

BIT PCV Buy It, Play the Cracked Version? I can buy two collectors ed, one to keep, and another to open up check out the maps, use the sticker on my car etc . . . look at the DVD thats best use now is a coaster . . . because I really wanna support Oleg & Team. . . .

and visit my haxor buddy and get a unrestricted version for all computer / hardware / you can change your system as much as you can version?

From the Tages website

There are very few common requirements:
1 PC with Microsoft® Windows™:

32 bits, x86 core: XP, Vista, Windows 7
64 bits, x64 core: 2003 server, XP, Vista, Windows 7.
32 Mb RAM minimum,
1 optical drive (CD/DVD reader).

With the Windows™ NT (4, 2000, XP or Vista) and x64 environments, due to the system restrictions, you must use an administrator account when installing your software: some TAGES™ components are drivers. After installation, even the most restricted user account can run a software protected with TAGES™.

To install/un-install the Tagès drivers, please follow the link:
Tagès 5.5 Drivers (signed version)

Usually, the Tagès drivers are installed during the installation of the protected exe, or at the first run.
Alternatively, the drivers can be installed/un-installed through our software, TagesSetup; it acts as a toggle, installing the drivers if they were not installed, and un-installing them if they were installed.

Do not be surprised if you do not need to reboot : it is absolutely normal in both cases, installation and un-installation.
The reason is that our drivers are NOT IN USE unless you run an application that needs them.

Microsoft® Windows™x86 (32bits) : TagesSetup.exe
Microsoft® Windows™x64 (64 bits) : TagesSetup_x64.exe
Available commandline parameters:
"-silent" : TagesSetup will proceed to the installation only without any confirmation message (to be compliant with G4W)
"-nouninst" : TagesSetup will not perform the un-installation

Whoa Whoa Whoa, NOW I HAVE TO INSTALL THIS ON MY SYSTEM?
Dude that is all there is to it. Good thing I'm good standing with Jack Sparrow!

I know this will really irk some. But rebooting? They did away with that in Windows 2000?

BIT PCV Buy It, Play the Cracked Version?

Waa they're forcing my hand!

Hackers' Comments

The proof of TAGES™'s effectiveness is undeniable as illustrated on various web sites. All major competitors have been hacked and the hackers have made generic cracks available for free. Anyone can break into these systems and produce illegal copies. With TAGES™ there will never be a generic crack, and there will never be one-to-one copies. It is physically impossible.

I think TAGES just let the cat out of bag. They are just advertising "Hack ME!" No greater way to inspire the pirates than by issuing forth a challenge that they can never resist.

Lots of things from Ubi suck...

If Ubi was the one that did it, well they're just really helping Tortuga gain influence

LukeFF
02-04-2011, 06:48 AM
And the never-ending drama on this forum continues...

mazex
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
I am going to copy my question here from the system requirements thread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18417&page=32):

+1

mmaruda
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Tages has not been hacked yet, because few people actually care for the games that have it. If say Call of Duty used Tages, it would be cracked in days I imagine. DRM is just a waste of money, especially with a game that is aimed at a more mature audience which flight sim enthusiast are, who are willing to support the developers by buying the product.

Let's face it, the game requires a joystick - those things cost if you want quality (IL-2 especially required some good quality controller), if you can afford one, you are denitelly gonna BUY the game.

So why the hell punish the user? Five activations? So I pay for yhe software and I have some restrictions on me? I never heard of a book author that would tell me how many times I can read their book, or a director that would tell me on how many DVD players and TV's I can watch their film.

Anyway's, Tages is not as bad as Starforce was some time ago, but if this DRM stays, than I'm not buying. It's not a protest, blackmail or anything similar - I just don't like to ask the publisher to let me install a game I have already paid for, just beacuse I felt like reinstalling my system 5 times in a week.

Sven
02-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Sounds okay to me, I don't add components 5 times a month to my PC anyway, so if I understand correctly, I am connected to the internet once, active it once, and until I change something in my system I don't need to do it again, doesn't sound bad at all. Didn't DCS Black Shark work in the same way? If so what's the difference?

swiss
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Sounds okay to me, I don't add components 5 times a month to my PC anyway, so if I understand correctly, I am connected to the internet once, active it once, and until I change something in my system I don't need to do it again, doesn't sound bad at all. Didn't DCS Black Shark work in the same way? If so what's the difference?

It looks like you have to install some tages (driver or so) stuff too.

Dano
02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not happy about it but it wont stop me buying.

Aloko
02-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Same here.

KaHzModAn
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM

I wouldn't have bought it if it was the former UBI DRM with constant connexion...
I don't like TAGES, but I'll do with it... I pre-ordered a collector :)

Tvrdi
02-04-2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm

Source

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/5151024809

so what about digital download versions which some of us preordered?

Specht
02-04-2011, 01:26 PM
That's just worthless, I wish this game was released on Steam instead of having this dumb DRM system, it's gonna get cracked anyway, deal with it.

Tvrdi
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
That's just worthless, I wish this game was released on Steam instead of having this dumb DRM system, it's gonna get cracked anyway, deal with it.

well constant online authorisation cant be cracked and will not be hopefully...for sake of fairness in online gaming....

swiss
02-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Not sure - SB Pro PE was never cracked either, afaik.

David603
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Had a look around for info on the Tages DRM.

Apparently Tages has been cracked a total of three times, but because of the way Tages' system works the games that got cracked were the ones where the devs didn't put much effort into implementing it.

The good news is that Tages seems to be regarded as being fairly non-intrusive.

KaHzModAn
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
well constant online authorisation cant be cracked and will not be hopefully...for sake of fairness in online gaming....

Give me an example ?
Because Assassin's Creed 2 for example needed a permanent internet connection (if you have even a small desynchrnisation for 1 second, the game pauses)
But it was cracked... (using a virtual server on your own machine)
Every popular game available on Steam has been cracked too... (modifying steam's .dll)...

KG26_Alpha
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
In case not everyone's looked at the link on the first post.

Regarding virtual drives and compatibility.

http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm

Wrong Statements

We have seen a few wrong or inaccurate statements related to TAGES™ on some web sites. Here below some of these statements and our reply:

Statement: 'A tool that is able to make a 1/1 copy of a TAGES™ protected CD exists.'

Answer: This is an urban legend.

Statement: 'TAGES™ Software is incompatible with virtual drives (Daemon Tools, Alcohol, ...). You must disable and/or un-install your virtual drives to enable the TAGES™ protected title to run.'

Answer: Emulator blacklisting is, from our point of view, not the right approach and therefore, we do not blacklist such emulation tools. So of course, we do not introduce any software incompatibility.

Regarding virtual drives, you can have a mounted image of a "not TAGES™ protected title", and run your "TAGES™ protected title" with your original CD without problems.
Uninstalling /Reinstalling software may lead to system instability.

RickRuski
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
I have read in other forums that "COD" will have "Tages" protection, not a problem until I read this link while finding some infomation about it. Does anyone know if this is correct as it appears that "Tages" is not at the present time compatabile with 64bit systems. See link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Tages&v=Tages&uid=5&pf=6&pi=4&c=Utilities&sc=CD%2FDVD%20Utilities&os=32-bit

swiss
02-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Tages hp

Minimum requirements

There are very few common requirements:

* 1 PC with Microsoft® Windows™:

o 32 bits, x86 core: XP, Vista, Windows 7
o 64 bits, x64 core: 2003 server, XP, Vista, Windows 7.
* 32 Mb RAM minimum,
* 1 optical drive (CD/DVD reader).

With the Windows™ NT (4, 2000, XP or Vista) and x64 environments, due to the system restrictions, you must use an administrator account when installing your software: some TAGES™ components are drivers. After installation, even the most restricted user account can run a software protected with TAGES™.

To install/un-install the Tagès drivers, please follow the link:

Tagès 5.5 Drivers (signed version)

RickRuski
02-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Sorry Swiss, your reply doesn't really answer my question. If you followed the link to MS and selected 64bit, the information supplied states that the publisher of "Tages"says that "Tages version 5.5" is "not Compatable" with 64bit systems. It also appears from the MS forums that many games etc. that are using "Tages" are having problems. Have Oleg's team tested the "Tages" DRM system or are they just leaving it to "Ubi" and hope it works??.

Korn
02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Sorry Swiss, your reply doesn't really answer my question. If you followed the link to MS and selected 64bit, the information supplied states that the publisher of "Tages"says that "Tages version 5.5" is "not Compatable" with 64bit systems. It also appears from the MS forums that many games etc. that are using "Tages" are having problems. Have Oleg's team tested the "Tages" DRM system or are they just leaving it to "Ubi" and hope it works??.

DRM is publisher's domain. Basically Oleg doesn't have a say.

Btw Tages is ok. I actually like it (lol), i mean compared to some of the alternatives. I don't think Ubi ever used Tages though.

tintifaxl
02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
From the top of my head, I seem to remember Arma2 used TAGES. It was not a problem with my Win7 64Bit system.

KG26_Alpha
02-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I have read in other forums that "COD" will have "Tages" protection, not a problem until I read this link while finding some infomation about it. Does anyone know if this is correct as it appears that "Tages" is not at the present time compatabile with 64bit systems. See link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Tages&v=Tages&uid=5&pf=6&pi=4&c=Utilities&sc=CD%2FDVD%20Utilities&os=32-bit

Search >> Tages

From the link in the first post of this thread

With the Windows™ NT (4, 2000, XP or Vista) and x64 environments,
due to the system restrictions, you must use an administrator account when installing your software: some TAGES™ components are drivers.
After installation, even the most restricted user account can run a software protected with TAGES™.

As already posted by another forum member, and it does answer your question.

Looking at the problems in the forum most are firewall issues or administrator rights problems.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=Tages

mmaruda
02-07-2011, 11:02 AM
From the top of my head, I seem to remember Arma2 used TAGES. It was not a problem with my Win7 64Bit system.

Arma 2 used FADE - no online activation was required, but if you typed a wrong cd-key at install, your game would gradually get buggy and unplayable (not that it isn't buggy and unplayable when DRM is not kicking in har har har).

Les
02-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I've used a Tages-protected game with Windows 7 64-bit without problems. From what I remember, all I had to do was basically register the game once with Tages online, and that was it. No tracking or pop-ups or nag screens or extra log-ins required after that. I never played that particular game online though before uninstalling it. Not sure if that would make any difference or not.

The game that required Tages was a Steam download too by the way. So I imagine the Steam version of CoD will still require Tages too.

Don't want to get into the whole DRM issue, but as far as such things go, Tages probably is one of the better, less intrusive forms of it. There are definitely worse ones around, some of which I've had the misfortune of having to deal with first-hand.

I personally would rather it wasn't there, but it won't stop me from getting CoD. It does make me consider buying the game then using a cracked copy to not have to deal with the DRM, but realistically I doubt I'll do that. Unless they stuff me around somehow, like with their limited re-activations or something. Like I said, I'd rather it wasn't there. But like I also said, don't want to get into the whole DRM issue, so...I'll leave it at that.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Prior to the U.S. release, I purchased the Russian download version of DCS:Black Shark. The software came with a limitation of 5 installs.

Between new computers and new operating system installs (XP, then Vista 64, finally Win 7 64), I used up all 5. Initially I thought to myself, "Darn, I'll have to buy a new copy" and since I don't really fly Black Shark that much anymore I was a bit frustrated.

Found out that all I had to do was email DCS with my purchase serial and they sent me a new code for my install. I did not have to buy it again.

I am assuming this is/will be the case with D/L versions of CoD. I have no reason to think otherwise.

S!

Gunny

Les
02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
...Found out that all I had to do was email DCS with my purchase serial and they sent me a new code for my install. I did not have to buy it again.

I am assuming this is/will be the case with D/L versions of CoD. I have no reason to think otherwise...

I had a similar experience with the copy protection for the racing sim 'rFactor'. In that case though it was a third-party DRM provider who had to be contacted in order to get more activations, not the publisher or developer.

The lesson from that experience was, always keep a written copy of any receipt or registration or activation details (including passwords and e-mail addresses) when you're dealing with these sort of things. I had to dig back several years to find the information I needed to provide in order to get extra activations. Once I had the information though, as you say, getting the extra activations wasn't problematic. And I too expect it will be the same or similar with the Tages system.

Biting my tongue again now...

mumble...DRM...grumble...

KG26_Alpha
03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Tages has been dumped

SolidShield has been implemented now for CoD

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6051033319

Codex
03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Prior to the U.S. release, I purchased the Russian download version of DCS:Black Shark. The software came with a limitation of 5 installs.

Between new computers and new operating system installs (XP, then Vista 64, finally Win 7 64), I used up all 5. Initially I thought to myself, "Darn, I'll have to buy a new copy" and since I don't really fly Black Shark that much anymore I was a bit frustrated.

Found out that all I had to do was email DCS with my purchase serial and they sent me a new code for my install. I did not have to buy it again.

I am assuming this is/will be the case with D/L versions of CoD. I have no reason to think otherwise.

S!

Gunny

Oh man that is very reassuring because I just keep forgetting to uninstall/de register it when I format my hard drive. Thanks for that Gunny, you've made my day.

Codex
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't understand all this anti DRM hysteria. All the games that I have and that have DRMs have never interfered with my system or caused me any issues.

For TAGES on 64bit systems, you just need to install the 64bit version which is available on their website.

And to the argument about not wanting to install the DRM software on your system ... pffft ... have you seen the crap that come with a Windows install?, and I'm talking about the stuff you can't turn off or uninstall. Adobe Acrobat 10 Reader anyone? iTunes? Steam is effectively a DRM, and Company Of Heroes has the DRM integrated into the game itself.

T}{OR
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't understand all this anti DRM hysteria. All the games that I have and that have DRMs have never interfered with my system or caused me any issues.

I think you just answered yourself in the above sentence. :)

I recommend you read this:

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_099a.html

WTE_Galway
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM

For TAGES on 64bit systems, you just need to install the 64bit version which is available on their website.

And to the argument about not wanting to install the DRM software on your system ... pffft ... have you seen the crap that come with a Windows install?, and I'm talking about the stuff you can't turn off or uninstall. Adobe Acrobat 10 Reader anyone? iTunes? Steam is effectively a DRM, and Company Of Heroes has the DRM integrated into the game itself.

.... or the Sony root kit they got fined millions for sneaking on to people PC secretly, or the starforce/securom debacles which caused hardware issues even after uninstalling the games and where nearly impossible to remove.

Not to mention disabling legitimate software like Nero and commercial virtual drive software. Try telling the boss that the virtual DVDs used to mount all the technical resource libraries from disk for your company have been disabled by a game that someone installed and see what reaction you get.

... lets not even talk about hassles some people had playing SH5.

Note that THIS particular DRM sounds fine ... however people have had good reason to be nervous.

Wolf_Rider
03-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Not to mention disabling legitimate software like Nero and commercial virtual drive software. Try telling the boss that the virtual DVDs used to mount all the technical resource libraries from disk for your company have been disabled by a game that someone installed and see what reaction you get.

the boss allows a game to be installed on the company network?
A place where I used to work (and most others places just won't allow installation of anything basically) had the 'RUN' function disabled to prevent games trashing the system...

Rainmaker
03-04-2011, 02:34 AM
GOOD JOB AT RUINING ANOTHER (VERY POSSIBLE) GREAT GAME!!! online activation sucks

Tacoma74
03-04-2011, 02:48 AM
GOOD JOB AT RUINING ANOTHER (VERY POSSIBLE) GREAT GAME!!! online activation sucks

Get over it... It's like a broken record! It could have turned out soooo much worse. Almost all games now implement some form of DRM. We should feel lucky we ended up with this.

Kikuchiyo
03-04-2011, 03:31 AM
I concur on the sentiment of "It's the order of things since 2000 to have DRM." Honestly this DRM sounds pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the really atrocious DRM creeping up out there. I would rather these things being DRM free, but also I'd prefer to live in a society where police aren't needed. 3 unique computer installs that are replenished at a rate of one reinstall per month (upto 3 total) is down right reasonable. Hell look at a lot of others out there that are 5 lifetime installs. Would you be more okay with that?

addman
03-04-2011, 05:00 AM
LOL! Oh! the horror! Don't like DRM but also don't really care about it, day one purchase FTW!

simace
03-04-2011, 05:54 AM
You know what's nice? Being able to install the software I purchased today, tomorrow or 10 years from now without having to rely on the existance of some DRM pusher.

I have an original Wolfenstein 3D on a 3.5" floppy and have installed it for my son's, which are now getting into pc gaming, so that they can experience what their pops grew up with. I even loaded up Doom, Duke Nuken, Descent, and how about Quake?

Point is, in the future, will I be able to load up COD for my grandson(s) (God willing Im still alive)?

S!

jayrc
03-04-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm still a little confused, do I need to activate the game ever time I play, weather it be online or offline, or is it a one time activation. so if I choose to manually activate by entering a code, do I have to do this every time?:confused:

Kikuchiyo
03-04-2011, 06:07 AM
You know what's nice? Being able to install the software I purchased today, tomorrow or 10 years from now without having to rely on the existance of some DRM pusher.

I have an original Wolfenstein 3D on a 3.5" floppy and have installed it for my son's, which are now getting into pc gaming, so that they can experience what their pops grew up with. I even loaded up Doom, Duke Nuken, Descent, and how about Quake?

Point is, in the future, will I be able to load up COD for my grandson(s) (God willing Im still alive)?

S!

Name one game you have today in your library that you can't play because the DRM was never removed and the DRM company went belly up. You know I actually have more trouble with the older games because they required you to have the manual and insert a word from a specific page,paragraph, and line. The manuals get worn out or lost, and lo and behold I can't play that game anymore. DRM does tend to get cracked in time, so I highly doubt you would ever run into that issue 25 or so years from now. Not to mention if you did I am sure there would be other means of getting your hands on a copy of Cliff of Dover.

I'm still a little confused, do I need to activate the game ever time I play, weather it be online or offline, or is it a one time activation. so if I choose to manually activate by entering a code, do I have to do this every time?
One time activation per install. not per running of the .exe.

jayrc
03-04-2011, 06:25 AM
sounds good to me:grin:

simace
03-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Name one game you have today in your library that you can't play because the DRM was never removed and the DRM company went belly up.

DRM isn't that old. I am older, so the games I buy are far fewer than when I was younger. Add those two facts together and your "Name one game you have..." is but a stab in the dark.

You know I actually have more trouble with the older games because they required you to have the manual and insert a word from a specific page,paragraph, and line. The manuals get worn out or lost, and lo and behold I can't play that game anymore.

You should be able to Google (or you're preferred search engine) for the answers - done it myself. But the kewl thing, I can print a new copy of my old n worn manual :)

I can understand the need for what it is that DRM's intend to do, its' their execution that fails - in some cases very very bad fail. It's pretty obvious, DRM's vendors have already damaged how they are perceived by consumers.

Developers work hard to optimize their code; it's a shame that some of these DRM's actually tack on some dead weight because of their implementation methods. Worse than that is to find out that the DRM is acting more like a "service" running all the time and interfering with your normal day-to-day activities.

S!

Kikuchiyo
03-04-2011, 06:41 AM
DRM isn't that old. I am older, so the games I buy are far fewer than when I was younger. Add those two facts together and your "Name one game you have..." is but a stab in the dark.

It's been around for at least a decade. I am not some yungin either.

You should be able to Google (or you're preferred search engine) for the answers - done it myself. But the kewl thing, I can print a new copy of my old n worn manual :)

I can understand the need for what it is that DRM's intend to do, its' their execution that fails - in some cases very very bad fail. It's pretty obvious, DRM's vendors have already damaged how they are perceived by consumers.

Developers work hard to optimize their code; it's a shame that some of these DRM's actually tack on some dead weight because of their implementation methods. Worse than that is to find out that the DRM is acting more like a "service" running all the time and interfering with your normal day-to-day activities.

S!

I can Google "solutions" for DRM as well.

I dislike intrusive poorly made DRM, but most of the time the horrible DRMs get phased out for something that doesn't just turn potential customers into pirates.

I agree I wish we could do without DRM, but then I wish people in general were more honest and less apt to steal someone's intellectual property. It's like the police, kinda sucks we have to have them, but at the same time they generally keep me from getting robbed.

simace
03-04-2011, 06:48 AM
:) We're saying the same thing...

though I do want to point out one thing... you say DRMs been out for a decade, true, but if you consider COD is close to a decade in the making, you can quickly get a grasp of how short a time a decade can be ... haha

You made me realize that outside of some Educational software for my sons, I have not purchased a single "game" for myself since IL2, and COD will be the first after many years.

how time flies...

Macka
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Nevermind. I reinstalled and re downloaded and for some reason it activated fine. Got me beat!!! Maybe the servers were down for maint?????