PDA

View Full Version : Damage From Debris

meplay
01-30-2011, 07:43 AM
I know in il2 1946 if your to close to an explosion it will damage you a/c but if you strafe a train or shoot another a/c down, it explodes and you fly through the debris it doesnt damage you plane.

Im just wondering if this is gonna be moddled in COD?

machoo
01-30-2011, 07:59 AM
That would need heaps of physics involved so I doubt it , might be added into future upgrads though.

David603
01-30-2011, 08:16 AM
It is modelled, there was a video a while back where a Spitfire was shooting at an enemy from behind, and a piece of debris hit the armoured wind shield and cracked it.

meplay
01-30-2011, 08:29 AM
wow thats great for immersion, i really cant wait for this baby to come out

swiss
01-30-2011, 08:46 AM
but if you strafe a train or shoot another a/c down, it explodes and you fly through the debris it doesnt damage you plane.

Strafe an ammo train and come back to report. ;)

Troll2k
01-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Try wing tipping a doodle bug in flight too hard.Or trying to reattach an I-16 to a TB 3 in mid air.See what happens.

meplay
01-30-2011, 09:16 AM
yes but im talkin about a wheel falling of an a/c and hitting yours :P not damage from the main explosion:cool:

p.s ammo train not so hard but i just cant do the doodle bug...seen it done though!

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
It is modelled, there was a video a while back where a Spitfire was shooting at an enemy from behind, and a piece of debris hit the armoured wind shield and cracked it.

Could you tell me where to find that video?

David603
01-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Could you tell me where to find that video?
I think it was one of the videos taken at Igromir, been looking for it but I can't find it now. If I do come across it I'll put up a link.

B25Mitch
01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
That would need heaps of physics involved so I doubt it , might be added into future upgrads though.

Hardly. This was a feature in the futuristic "flight sim" Echelon: Wind Warriors from 2003, and it worked effectively. I think the level of physics could be limited to simply treating each piece of debris as a 'bullet', with the damage dealt being a function of it's speed relative to your aircraft.

In fact, if this kind of interaction was to be included, the standard 'splash damage' explosion should probably be abandoned, leaving flying debris the only hazardous component of an exploding aircraft.

This would avoid the annoying incidents in which an aircraft crashing into the sea nearby causes damage, even though you're in a position where no debris could have hit you.

I'm not saying that this is a priority for Oleg and crew right now, but it is certainly possible, even on very dated hardware.

Antoninus
01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
To some degree damage from debris is already modelled in Il-2. At least loose parts of our own aircraft can hit and damage the rest.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/440/dm1q.th.jpg (http://img705.imageshack.us/i/dm1q.jpg/)

The Kraken
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Well there can be hundreds or even thousands of bullets in the air at the same time, all with their own collision detection, so adding a few dozen additional checks for chunks of debris shouldn't make a major difference. And the collision physics don't have to be perfect - unlike with gun hits people will hopefully not argue as much about that part ("it took three Hurricane rudders on average to take down a He-111 but in the game it's more like 3.5, this needs to be changed!!!").

Ok I take that back, they probably will... :-P