PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to upgrade pc for IL-2 CoD?

ghodan
01-29-2011, 08:57 PM
So who is going to upgrade his pc specialy for IL-2 CoD, and if so with what?

I am going to upgrade my pc with:
CPU:
Intel Core I5 2500K (going to overclock it to at least 4 GHz)
Motherboard:
GigaByte GA-P67A-UD3P
DDR3 memory:
Corsair Dominator 8 GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz
GPU:
GTX 570 (Gainward GeForce GTX 570 GLH 1280 MB)

Hotas:
Don't know yet.
I am thinking about CH fighter or combat stick + CH Throttle quad + Saitek combat pedals.
Or Logitech G940.
Or Thrustmaster Warthog + Saitek combat pedals.

Maybe a 24 inch monitor to replace my 22 inch and then a model that does 120mhz so i can use nvidia 3dvision.
3D vision + 6dof = super immersion?
Hope i can use my 22 inch as monitor for gauge output then.

Luftwaffepilot
01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
If I don't hear anything about nvidia kepler and ivy bridge by april, I will definately go for a Sandy Bitch 2600k + nvidia gtx 580 + 8 gb ddr3 ram.
And I will probably buy a new monitor to replace my 23". Maybe 27" but I cannot decide if I should go for 16:10 instead.

Gomer Pyle
01-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Quite likely, I'm riding one of the early intel Quad's with 4GB RAM and a 8800GT, not sure I'll be feasting on all the goodies with this one.

/Daniel

Biggs
01-29-2011, 10:05 PM
just overclocked my core2 quad q6600 to 3.2ghz and with my 4 gigs of ram and my new GTX 570 on the way, I hope to be able to get this game up to its medium settings.

lbuchele
01-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Intel I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz , GTX 580 , Asus P8P67 , 8 GB DDR3 1600, SSD 80GB intel,
HDD 1TB.
Don't wait for IvyBridge is for late 2011 early 2012, rumours are saying.

IceFire
01-30-2011, 12:35 AM
My Core 2 system suffered from a power surge in the summer so I built a Core i7 870 with 4GB of Mushkin Blackline DDR3 RAM an Antec TruePower 650W PSU and for now I'm keeping my GeForce GTS 250 512mb. The video card is probably due for an upgrade but we'll see when that is necessary.

Jaws2002
01-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I'll wait to see how is running on my Q6600@3Ghz+GTX285+4xDDR2@1066 so i know if is worth keeping anything I have now, or just go ballz out (again:mrgreen:) with a new system.
Will see. If I get decent frames and decent looks I may just upgrade few things for now, if not I'll build a new system.

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 01:09 AM
I bought a second 5850 on december, even though the game had not been announced I hoped it could come soon and it is coming soon!!!Im gonna buy a hotas setup in the next weeks, maybe all CH.Gonna OC my cpu back to 4ghz if needed too.

Robotic Pope
01-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Arn't there enough of these spec comparing (Mines's bigger than yours) threads already. Nobody cares.

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Arn't there enough of these spec comparing (Mines's bigger than yours) threads already. Nobody cares.

It seems you care enough to come here and post,no one is comparing anything.Dont you see that all of these threads only show how impatient we are?Just something to speak of while we wait, not more.

lokipuk
01-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Is it too much diference between a core 2 quad and a i7?? cause there is a lot of price diference but i don't know if it's worth it

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Is it too much diference between a core 2 quad and a i7?? cause there is a lot of price diference but i don't know if it's worth it

Yes there is, and it is worth it.

Robotic Pope
01-30-2011, 02:07 AM
It seems you care enough to come here and post,no one is comparing anything.Dont you see that all of these threads only show how impatient we are?Just something to speak of while we wait, not more.

I come here to hopefully read something interesting and maybe answer a question or two. But Since the game req specs were revealed it has just been all wingeing and people flawnting their system specs all over the place. Tell me, why do you put your PC's componants in your sig? You are trying to impress people with them thats why. You want someone to think "Wow look at that guys PC, its a monster, now I feel my PC is inadequet. " I find that pathetic.

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 02:16 AM
I come here to hopefully read something interesting and maybe answer a question or two. But Since the game req specs were revealed it has just been all wingeing and people flawnting their system specs all over the place. Tell me, why do you put your PC's componants in your sig? You are trying to impress people with them thats why. You want someone to think "Wow look at that guys PC, its a monster, now I feel my PC is inadequet. " I find that pathetic.

So my pc is a monster?Sure?There's better and more expensive components out there( cpu,gpus, triple monitors,etc) and even those will be outdated soon.I cant understand how can you be upset if I post my rig on my signature. If you enjoy your gaming then your pc is a monster.

Robotic Pope
01-30-2011, 03:14 AM
So my pc is a monster?Sure?There's better and more expensive components out there( cpu,gpus, triple monitors,etc) and even those will be outdated soon.I cant understand how can you be upset if I post my rig on my signature. If you enjoy your gaming then your pc is a monster.

I'm not upset. I just think it is rather childish and boring. I'm glad you enjoy your gaming, just don't pretend to yourself that anyone else should care to know what you use for your gaming. I care for what upgrades any of you are planning to buy just as much as I care what you all had for breakfast and the type of cutlery you use to eat it.

lbuchele
01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Well,I care a lot the specs people use, because pc parts are expensive and I need as much input I can use from foruns and sites before I do my purchase.
I like to share my findings and recommendations with people here because it's the very nature of this forum, right?
Bragging rights isn't worst than point fingers at people faces.
That is really arrogant not a list of computer parts, mate.

Luftwaffepilot
01-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Intel I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz , GTX 580 , Asus P8P67 , 8 GB DDR3 1600, SSD 80GB intel,
HDD 1TB.
Don't wait for IvyBridge is for late 2011 early 2012, rumours are saying.

Don't the sandy bitches only support 1333 RAM?
How can you use 1600 then?

addman
01-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Athlon IIx3@2,7GHz: It will do
4GB DDR3 RAM: Will also do
Club3D Radeon HD 4670 512MB GDDR4: The weakest link, will see how it does.

Not expecting a lot, just hope the game will run at native resolution (1600x900) at low-mid settings probably with some extras switched off. Might have to do some graphic card reconnaissance from now on.:)

Antoninus
01-30-2011, 08:10 AM
According to the ASUS 1600 RAM is supported, the problems some people are reoporting now will surely be sorted out in month or two when CoD is released.

Currently I plan to buy something like this:

Intel I7 2600, Asus P8P67 , 8 GB Corsiar DDR3 1600, GTX 560 Ti or AMD 6950 with 2 GB Ram. 64 GB SSD for OS, 1 TB HD, Asus Sonar DX soundcard

Luftwaffepilot
01-30-2011, 08:31 AM
According to the ASUS 1600 RAM is supported, the problems some people are reoporting now will surely be sorted out in month or two when CoD is released.

Currently I plan to buy something like this:

Intel I7 2600, Asus P8P67 , 8 GB Corsiar DDR3 1600, GTX 560 Ti or AMD 6950 with 2 GB Ram. 64 GB SSD for OS, 1 TB HD, Asus Sonar DX soundcard

What is confusing me is that I read that the CPU only supports 1333 RAM.

swiss
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
We have a crapload of different systems here on the board.
They will play CoD from day one.
Hopefully, they will share their results here and flood the forum.

I'm not going to buy anything until I have seen some of the results and therefore know what adds and what not.

(Cool thing is, the biggest computer discounter of the country has store just down the road :))

whatnot
01-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm not upset. I just think it is rather childish and boring. I'm glad you enjoy your gaming, just don't pretend to yourself that anyone else should care to know what you use for your gaming. I care for what upgrades any of you are planning to buy just as much as I care what you all had for breakfast and the type of cutlery you use to eat it.

I find it quite useful to see what PC specs people have running their sims as the HW is quite critical in creating a smooth and immersive flying experience. Simmers also often tend to be IT propellerheads to the PC components market and it's development is close to the hearts of many here.. atleast me. Interpreting all that as a pissing and getting winded up enough to come bash it here is beyond me.

But anyway I recommend you close your eyes now as I will paste the setup I ordered a week ago for my new simming rig:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 LGA1155
MSI N580GTX-M2D15D5/OC NVIDIA
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz LGA1155
OCZ RevoDrive PCI Express SSD 120GB SSD
Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9
Antec P193 ATX
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair AX850W
Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

So I'm refreshing more or less everything except my monitor and TIR. I can't wait to get the bits and pieces together, load up the 64bit OS in and give my favourite titles a go while waiting for Cliffs to come out. Especially trying FSX out is something I'm looking forwards as I like GA simming as a sunday hobby. The beautiful scenery add-ons killed the FPS on 1920x resolution with my Q6600 and GTX295 so after reading some positive performance reports of 2600K FSX might be back in the menu for me after a long break. A2A's P47 for FSX is just stunning!

Would be great to establish a 'baseline' FPS recording for Cliffs to have FPS´s reported here in one thread with different rigs and different settings to help ppl out selecting the good combo for their budgets and needs.

Peace, out!

swiss
01-30-2011, 08:45 AM
What is confusing me is that I read that the CPU only supports 1333 RAM.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/17

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/c020.gif

mazex
01-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I cast long eyes at the sandybridges to replace my aging E8400...

The "problem" is that almost all games run fine at max setting with that E8400 clocked at 3.6Ghz and a GTX 275 that is really old but does it's job in most games... ;)

Previously I always bought the fastest stuff available when upgrading but as it is now with hardware moving faster than the software requirements (the GTX 275 was my first mid range card) I realize that the upgrade I'm thinking of is a Sandy Bridge 2600 with a P67 Mb and either a HD6950 or a GTX 560 Ti... Then after a year or two a faster GPU to let it live a bit longer.

Then maybe I think of getting the HD6950 or GTX 560 Ti for my current rig. Really depends on how CoD will be limited... If I don't have a CPU bottle neck due to it using both cores well and doing fine without the need for more cores and the GPU is the limiting factor... It would spice the current rig for a year of extended front line service I guess :)

To the people that may post here with "why do you bother then" etc, let us guys that like discussing this do it here? It has something to do with the game at least as we are gearing up for war ;)

EDIT: Well, the conclusion like many others is that I will wait before changing anything - even if I have "the itch" now ;)

JG52Uther
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I will wait.I upgraded my computer to play RoF,with a Q6600 O/C to 3.2,4 GBs ram,and a 4850 1GB card.
This system plays RoF very nicely ,with almost max settings,so I am confident it will be OK in CoD.For now...
If it is anything like il2 was at the beginning,we will have to upgrade along the way anyway,as Oleg turns on more eyecandy and features!
Oh,and the Q6600,ram and motherboard was second hand,and cost £170,so people should not think they have to spend thousands to fly CoD... ;)

Flanker35M
01-30-2011, 09:35 AM
S!

AMD Bulldozer CPU + 990FX chipset + AMD 6990HD GPU + 16Gb of RAM. That's the plan :)

Current one is AMD PhenomII X6 1090T + 890FX chipset + AMD 6970HD + 8Gb of RAM.

lbuchele
01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Please,no!Stop showing all these computer specs,you are killing me,aarghh!:mrgreen:

Luftwaffepilot
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Looking at this benchmark...
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/intel_sandy_bridge_sockel_1155_quadcore/index37.php

There's no advantage in using higher memory bandwith than default of the CPU.

whatnot
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I will wait.I upgraded my computer to play RoF,with a Q6600 O/C to 3.2,4 GBs ram,and a 4850 1GB card.
This system plays RoF very nicely ,with almost max settings,so I am confident it will be OK in CoD.For now...
If it is anything like il2 was at the beginning,we will have to upgrade along the way anyway,as Oleg turns on more eyecandy and features!
Oh,and the Q6600,ram and motherboard was second hand,and cost £170,so people should not think they have to spend thousands to fly CoD... ;)

My Q6600 didn't overclock all too well, it stopped booting with just a 0,2 GHz OC. I'm not much of an overclocker however so I might not have done all the tweaks needed to get most out of it. I'm however confident to get a 4.2-4.5 GHz stable OC with 2600K without too much hazzle and there are pretty good guides available.

One thing that's an ongoing torment is that after you've made your order there seems always be some new review of a motherboard or whatever that is praised to be the best in this and that. However I'm confident that whatever Mobo + 2600K + GTX580 combo you put together there won't be significant FPS difference at the end of the day. That's atleast what I want to believe ;-)

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 12:30 PM

Well,I care a lot the specs people use, because pc parts are expensive and I need as much input I can use from foruns and sites before I do my purchase.
I like to share my findings and recommendations with people here because it's the very nature of this forum, right?
Bragging rights isn't worst than point fingers at people faces.
That is really arrogant not a list of computer parts, mate.

Someone answered for me.There's nothing childish about it so get over it.If you dont like it then close your eyes or something.If I had my previous pc right now I would have posted in my sig too.Again you need to enjoy what you have, it seems you do not and you seem to get upset because some other guy you dont even know has a "better" pc.I would cry every time I get to OCN and see all the monstrous rigs(and I spend most of my time there)if I thought like you.

swiss
01-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Current one is AMD PhenomII X6 1090T + 890FX chipset + AMD 6970HD + 8Gb of RAM.

In case you're going to sell it in parts, let me know. ;)

Flanker35M
01-30-2011, 02:27 PM
S!

Swiss, gonna pick them up from Finland? :D Damn happy with this rig. IL-2 is a bit picky but runs well enough for gaming while other games chug along very nicely :)

swiss
01-30-2011, 02:46 PM
S!

Swiss, gonna pick them up from Finland? :D Damn happy with this rig. IL-2 is a bit picky but runs well enough for gaming while other games chug along very nicely :)

What, you don't have postal services in Suomi?
It's just the Cpu I might want. ;)
It sure would be fun to pick it up in person, unfortunately the temperature up there doesn't turn it into a top pick for holiday trips.
(I hate Switzerland for the climate)

BP_Tailspin
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM

I’ll bet you FART in an elevator and then exit on the next floor ... LOL

Talking about system specifications, how green the grass should be, how the clouds look, the misspelling on a flight instrument, the proper color of an aircrafts insignia, the proper air pressure for the tailwheel tire or “spec comparing” is all good.

I was always afraid to build my own gaming computer; I was ignorant how easy it was. I had a friend build it for me, he owned a computer shop. One day he made me help him assemble my computer, I never looked back.

Reading threads that compare system specifications and talk about building gaming computers like this one might inspire some one to go that extra step.

In closing my rant about your rant here’s my new gaming computer I finished a few months ago. I can’t wait for CoD to hit the shelves.

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair III Formula,
RAM: 8GB G Skill DDR3 1333,
CPU: AMD 965 Phenom II - 3.4GHz Quad-Core,
Cooling: ZALMAN 9500AT plus (3)140mm and (1) 120mm Fans,
HD: (2) WD Black Edition, 500 GB operating system and programs and 1TB games,
GPU: EVGA GTX 470, (I’m going to give the 470 to my son and upgrade to a 570)
CD/DVD: LG with LightScribe,
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro,
PSU: Corsair HX Series 850HX Modular,
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590,
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,

brando
01-30-2011, 05:08 PM
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair III Formula,
RAM: 8GB G Skill DDR3 1333,
CPU: AMD 965 Phenom II - 3.4GHz Quad-Core,
Cooling: ZALMAN 9500AT plus (3)140mm and (1) 120mm Fans,
HD: (2) WD Black Edition, 500 GB operating system and programs and 1TB games,
GPU: EVGA GTX 470, (I’m going to give the 470 to my son and upgrade to a 570)
CD/DVD: LG with LightScribe,
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro,
PSU: Corsair HX Series 850HX Modular,
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590,
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,

I have the same motherboard here, with a 955 PhenomII @3.6GHz, liquid-cooled. It's good to see that it is capable of running 8 gigs RAM, although I'm only using 4Gb (OCZ 1600) at the moment.
Do you have all 4 DIMMs occupied, as in 4 x 2G sticks?
I'm running a 500GbB storage drive - but using a pair of 60GB SSDs for my operating system and games. My 1TB drive serves both myself and my wife via our network.
I went Ati about a hundred years ago (feels like) and I'm sporting a lightly overclocked HD 5870 at the present time. Both FB and RoF run very sweet and I'm hoping that it'll give me a good starting point for Cliffs of Dover.

B

Jarcook
01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
I will upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7 so i can see all of my Ram (6gb). Also mayby looking at a ATI 6000 series card to replace my GTX 275.

Vista 32 bit
I7 920
6GB Ram
650 watt PSU
GTX 275

louisv
01-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm a retired software engineer living all by myself, but in a very active and creative area of Montreal.
I used to fly Piper Cherokees when I was young (a while ago... when one hour flying with gas and insurance was $18...) and I've been building this system for a couple of months now: I went all out for CoD and DCS.

Antec 1200 case, Ultra 850w ps
Velociraptor 600Gigs
Intel i7 980x 3.46 GHz (not OC'd yet), Megahalem cooler
12 gigs Mushkin 6-8-6-24-1T 1600Mhz DDR3 Triple channel
EVGA gtx580 (currently at the airport, will be here tomorrow !!!)
EVGA X58 FTW3 Mobo
HP ZR24W 1920X1200 IPS Monitor
Trackir 4
Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog
Saitek Pro-Flight rudder pedals
Windows 7 64

No SSDs (yet), just one 580 (for now). So I hope to see most of the eye candy...

For those who have never assembled a system by themselves, for such a system you save about 50% as compared to the equivalent Alienware (Dell) for instance. This is not true for smaller systems. For budget systems it will cost you more if you do it yourself !

One could go ballistic (maybe one day !!!): As long as games are multi-threaded and 64 bits you can take advantage of this:

EVGA Workstation SR-2 mobo with two 6 core Xeons (that's 24 threads, the Xeon is functionnaly equivalent to the 980x but with double QPI).
2X12= 24 gigs of triple channel memory, which becomes 12 Gigs of hexachannel memory when driven by two CPUs.
Along with a RAID-0 array of SSDs this would be awesome to say the least, but currently about $10,000 (CDN) if you do it yourself. BTW the SR-2 is built to be overclocked...with triple gtx580 also OC'd, it should run flight sims (or a medium sized country) for a while...

Lou

Robotic Pope
01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Someone answered for me.There's nothing childish about it so get over it.If you dont like it then close your eyes or something.If I had my previous pc right now I would have posted in my sig too.Again you need to enjoy what you have, it seems you do not and you seem to get upset because some other guy you dont even know has a "better" pc.I would cry every time I get to OCN and see all the monstrous rigs(and I spend most of my time there)if I thought like you.

Haha no, that is not it at all. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest, obviously from other peoples posts here there are people that are interested. My previous posts were fueled with some drink, so I will apologise for some trollish posts lol. I still feel the same though, so I will attempt to avoid these PC system threads and if I acidently open one I will just have to close my eyes ;) Oh and to make us equal I will put something you will find very boring in my sig :-P

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Haha no, that is not it at all. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest, obviously from other peoples posts here there are people that are interested. My previous posts were fueled with some drink, so I will apologise for some trollish posts lol. I still feel the same though, so I will attempt to avoid these PC system threads and if I acidently open one I will just have to close my eyes ;) Oh and to make us equal I will put something you will find very boring in my sig :-P

Fair enough.

kingpinda
01-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna wait till I have the game. If i can't use med to high settings with my 2 year old cpu and graphics card i might upgrade..

I can play black shark and a-10 perfectly. Maybe a setting or two on med instead of high.

I only upgrade when and if I have an awsome game and I can't run it fluently. First i'll try and OC the cpu and graphics card. Only THEN i will upgrade. I mean... upgrading to overkill is a waste of money in my book.

alberto1960
01-30-2011, 07:37 PM
A question!
I see that many of you have 8GB ram on PC. Well... I have read in many tecnical forums that for gamers it is enough 4GB... Maybe the sim needs more? It is really usefull?
Please answer only if really sure or tecnical data... it could be an importan issue for everybody upgrading
Thx
MY next pc: I5 2500K - Asus P8P67 - GTX 570 (in future a sli) - 4Gb S.Kill ram (or 8GB in really necessary) - Monitor Samsung BX 2450 led 24" - My old Saitek x45 still working.... and CH Pro Pedal -

Royraiden
01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
A question!
I see that many of you have 8GB ram on PC. Well... I have read in many tecnical forums that for gamers it is enough 4GB... Maybe the sim needs more? It is really usefull?
Please answer only if really sure or tecnical data... it could be an importan issue for everybody upgrading
Thx
MY next pc: I5 2500K - Asus P8P67 - GTX 570 (in future a sli) - 4Gb S.Kill ram (or 8GB in really necessary) - Monitor Samsung BX 2450 led 24" - My old Saitek x45 still working.... and CH Pro Pedal -

You would certainly benefit from more memory.This game is going to need it for loading the huge map textures.I say 6gb should be enough.

ghodan
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
OOoh man i was just checking monitors on my favorite webshop and i run into:

Samsung MD230X3 23 Inch

That thing is so awesome for IL-2 CoD and other modern flights sims that support non standard resolutions (I assume IL-2CoD supports non standard resolutions)

Its 1350 euro.
I know i know you can also buy 3x a 23 inch for 150 euro per piece.
But that set from Samsung have REALLY thin bezels.

BP_Tailspin
01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Do you have all 4 DIMMs occupied, as in 4 x 2G sticks?

I have a 2 x 4G kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

brando
01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I have a 2 x 4G kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

rgr, thanks :)

B

WTE_Galway
01-31-2011, 03:39 AM
Anyone building a new rig at the moment would be totally insane to buy anything other than a Core i7 2600K .

It blows away all the old school i7 CPU's, is multiplier unlocked (overclocking to about 4.8 Ghz aircooled), and is as cheap as, especially considering its pretty much the fastest kid on the block even without overclocking all at a mid range price.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/...re-i7-2600k-review/1 (http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/1)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/...-core-i3-2100-tested (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested)

ghodan
01-31-2011, 06:28 AM
Anyone building a new rig at the moment would be totally insane to buy anything other than a Core i7 2600K .

It blows away all the old school i7 CPU's, is multiplier unlocked (overclocking to about 4.8 Ghz aircooled), and is as cheap as, especially considering its pretty much the fastest kid on the block even without overclocking all at a mid range price.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/...re-i7-2600k-review/1 (http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review/1)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/...-core-i3-2100-tested (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested)

But games dont use hyper threading, so why should i pay for something my games cant use? Thats why i will buy the Intel Core I5 2500K

kendo65
01-31-2011, 10:12 AM

But games dont use hyper threading, so why should i pay for something my games cant use? Thats why i will buy the Intel Core I5 2500K

Reviews I have read say that the i5-2500K is the one to get for gaming - the i7-2600k produces very minor benefit in games to justify the extra cost. (it may be justified though if you use heavily multi-threaded apps or do a lot of video editing, etc.)

I'll be getting the i5-2500K too.

BadgerSmedly
01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I was due a rig refit so sold a kidney and went for it recently:

- CPU: Intel Core i7 980X 3.33GHz overclocked to 4.20GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
- Hard Drives: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
- Graphics Card: x2 GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 in SLI
- Sound : 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP 12x BD-ROM / 16x DVD Writer Drive - Black

Impressed with the config and also the heat that it all chucks out. :grin:

Overkill for IL2 and CoD to start with, but not for other games I play. Won't make much difference to my gameplay however as I'll still fly like a nob, I mean a noob. I'm also probably compensating for other inadequacies, so please excuse me. :-)

Badger

WhiteSnake
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
I wait with upgrading, i first have a go at it with my old system and see how that goes.

Waiting for AMD Bulldozer to see what thats gonna bring, also the timing for CoD comming out is really bad for me...

I also want Test Drive Unlimited 2, Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed and Crysis 2 wich all come out at about the same time as CoD, so choices have to be made :(

lbuchele
01-31-2011, 02:18 PM

- Hard Drives: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
- Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP 12x BD-ROM / 16x DVD Writer Drive - Black

Overkill for IL2 and CoD to start with, but not for other games I play. Won't make much difference to my gameplay however as I'll still fly like a nob, I mean a noob. I'm also probably compensating for other inadequacies, so please excuse me. :-)

Badger

I like very much your config,mate.
I´m currently building a system based in:
Core i7 2600K OC @ 4,6 GHz
1x GTX 580
8GB RAM DDR3 G.Skill 1.5V 1600
Asus P8P67 MoBo
SSD intel 80 GB (only for W7 64 bits and CoD
HDD 640GB 7200 rpm
Acer 26"
PSU Corsair TX 850W

I would like to compare later our performances to see if SLI adds performance in CoD , OK?

Wiskey-Charlie
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Will wait for CoD and see how my current hardware will run it.

ASUS P5N-E SLI (Not using SLI)
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz 900 Mhz
4094 MB (Ram)
Windows 7 64 bit operating System
1-Nvidia Geforce 285 GTX Display adapter
Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition
3-LG L246WP-BN 24 WIDESCREEN LCD Monitors
TrackIR Pro

Hoping it will get me by for a another year.

Itkovian
01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
I just upgraded to a 570, which pretty much keeps my computer up to date (i7 920 @ 3.0, 6 gig DDR3).

Looking forward to this a lot. :)

Itkovian

kendo65
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
This is proving to be an expensive hobby!

I've just ordered a CH Combat Stick, Pro Throttle, and Simped rudder pedals.

Next month it'll be a new i5-2500K based system to replace my aging E8200 Core 2 Duo.

Total cost going to be £800+.

I need to go and lie in a darkened room for a bit now...:shock:

archermav
01-31-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm running with an E8400, and a marvellous 3870 GPU. Just pricing up a 2500K 15 build, not sure what GPU to plum for?

kendo65
01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Tricky one - I'm going to make do with my GTX260-216 until the devs bring in DX11 - by which time hopefully the GTX 570 will be down to £150. :)

Talbot
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Ups,problem chipset to motherboard for Sandy bridge
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

kendo65
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

Oh Bugger! :evil:

whatnot
01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

I thought of the same thing, but then hearing some rumours that X-Plane 10 gets some benefits from hyper threading aside the benefits of multiple cores I decided to go for it as the price difference didn't really rock the boat too much compared to the other stuff. Kind of a 'just in case' selection =)

WTE_Galway
01-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh Bugger! :evil:

Its not a mission critical fault if you only have 2 SATA devices. The two 6 Gb SATA ports are fine. Its ports 4 to 6 running at 3 Gb that may have an issue.

Still, a MB recall is a right pain in the @ss.

whatnot
01-31-2011, 08:24 PM
OOoh man i was just checking monitors on my favorite webshop and i run into:

Samsung MD230X3 23 Inch

Sweet! That's something I could go for after breaking the piggy bank of our kids, but it's a lot easier to avoid the awkward financial questions from the missus inside an ATX box instead of having that monster on the table. :-)

whatnot
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM

Do you get extra kick from an SLI running on 1920x resolution or do you need to have dual screen or higher res for that? In case you do then I'll wait for a while to get the 580 prices a bit lower and buy a second hand 2nd GPU assuming my 850W can still run it.

whatnot
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Is it all the sandy bridge boards or just some and does it affect the ones not yet delivered? Couldn't make it from the article..

kendo65
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Its not a mission critical fault if you only have 2 SATA devices. The two 6 Gb SATA ports are fine. Its ports 4 to 6 running at 3 Gb that may have an issue.

Still, a MB recall is a right pain in the @ss.

Was planning to order towards end of February. The anandtech article says:

"Intel has already halted production of its 6-series chipsets and will begin shipping fixed versions of the chipset in late February. You can expect motherboard shortages through March at least. Intel hopes to be able to meet demand by April."

I may end up testing the accuracy of Luthier's minimum specs after all.

Beautiful timing Intel - snafu and f**ked up really nicely there.
:)

whatnot
01-31-2011, 08:35 PM

"Intel has already halted production of its 6-series chipsets and will begin shipping fixed versions of the chipset in late February. You can expect motherboard shortages through March at least. Intel hopes to be able to meet demand by April."

Wohoo, just saw an email that my Asus P8P67 has arrived. I'll pick it up to rig up for CoD and after a while RMA it once I reach a state of CoD overdose. That'll be somewhere around September I would assume =)

Il2Pongo
01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Will wait for CoD and see how my current hardware will run it.

ASUS P5N-E SLI (Not using SLI)
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz 900 Mhz
4094 MB (Ram)
Windows 7 64 bit operating System
1-Nvidia Geforce 285 GTX Display adapter
Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition
3-LG L246WP-BN 24 WIDESCREEN LCD Monitors
TrackIR Pro

Hoping it will get me by for a another year.

Pretty much same rig, minus the tripple head. I have a 27 inch 2500 res monitor that may force me to upgrade to play this game fully.
I also am running XP service pack 3. Someone just offered me another (used) 285 for 140 bucks to go SLI, but my 650 power supply might not take the extra.
I am going to see how it works, and what works better with the game before I decide.
I already have the newest TIR and a full CH pro set.

BadgerSmedly
01-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I would like to compare later our performances to see if SLI adds performance in CoD , OK?

Hi Ibuchele.

Of course - it'll be great to experiment and compare the SLI performance and also the settings. I've been an ATI man for the last few years and have loved the stability, but preferred the nVidia solution. It's a personal thing I know.

PM me when you're kitted out and we'll see what's what. :-)

Badger

BadgerSmedly
01-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you get extra kick from an SLI running on 1920x resolution or do you need to have dual screen or higher res for that? In case you do then I'll wait for a while to get the 580 prices a bit lower and buy a second hand 2nd GPU assuming my 850W can still run it.

Hi Whatnot

1920x1200 is native to my screen but I run at 1600 by 1200 to get the ratio a bit more playable. IL2 currently runs very, very smoothly but the SLI however is causes the classic smoke shadow flicker and tarmac distortion. Not too muck of an issue, but I do hope that CoD caters for SLI configuration. Just tested the Black Death track and get an average of 180fps.

Cheers

Badger

WTE_Galway
01-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Yeah, if Intel don't get things rolling agian immediately, many people will just wait till Z68 is released in May/June. In many ways Z68 looks like a better chipset anyway.

camel24hrs
02-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Hey guys I am new here. I have visited this forum over the last two years waiting for info on the release of SOW. I have preordered the COD. And now I am thinking of upgrading my graphics card. At present my system is:
Asus P5K deluxe
Q9550 overclocked @ 3700
4 gig of kingston hyperx 5-5-5-15 @ 1066
MSI Geforce 9800GT 512meg OC
Vista 32 OS

I am not in the place where I can just go out and do a total rebuild, so I am looking into doing a graphics upgrade that will enable me to run COD with all the bells and whistles. At the same time because of finaces I am not looking to exceed that performance, in another words what can I get by with.

I am looking at two graphics cards right now.
Evga geforce gtx 560 SC
Evga geforce gtx 570 SC

Been a long time since I have shopped for cards and I am looking for input as to if either one of these cards will run COD on my present system with all the bells and whistles turned on and also what kind of differernce is noticeable between these two? Thanks in advance for any help.

Royraiden
02-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Hey guys I am new here. I have visited this forum over the last two years waiting for info on the release of SOW. I have preordered the COD. And now I am thinking of upgrading my graphics card. At present my system is:
Asus P5K deluxe
Q9550 overclocked @ 3700
4 gig of kingston hyperx 5-5-5-15 @ 1066
MSI Geforce 9800GT 512meg OC
Vista 32 OS

I am not in the place where I can just go out and do a total rebuild, so I am looking into doing a graphics upgrade that will enable me to run COD with all the bells and whistles. At the same time because of finaces I am not looking to exceed that performance, in another words what can I get by with.

I am looking at two graphics cards right now.
Evga geforce gtx 560 SC
Evga geforce gtx 570 SC

Been a long time since I have shopped for cards and I am looking for input as to if either one of these cards will run COD on my present system with all the bells and whistles turned on and also what kind of differernce is noticeable between these two? Thanks in advance for any help.
Since you are just going to get a gpu I would recommend you to wait for the release and check how similar pc are running the game.Then just order what you think would be the best you could afford.