PDA

View Full Version : OK, I found something that is really worrying me

Flying Pencil
01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
In the official announcement, it said:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18201
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover is the latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

in·stall·ment 1 also in·stal·ment (n-stôlmnt)
n.
1. One of a number of successive payments in settlement of a debt.
a. A portion of something, such as a publication, issued at intervals.
b. A chapter or part of a literary work presented serially.

Without a doubt it says it is a "portion" of the old IL-2 Sturmovik game, which means some code of the original IL-2 is in CoD.

Is CoD yet another upgrade to IL-2, or (as I believed) a 110% brand new sim/game?

PS: the fact UBI is involved is making me worried, wanting to get the facts straight.

leggit
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
is this guys having some sought of breakdown?

Flying Pencil
01-19-2011, 06:01 PM
is this guys having some sought of breakdown?

the fact UBI is involved is making me worried, wanting to get the facts straight.

leggit
01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
m8 you REALLY need to go and doing something else.;)

winny
01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
In the official announcement, it said:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18201

Without a doubt it says it is a "portion" of the old IL-2 Sturmovik game, which means some code of the original IL-2 is in CoD.

Is CoD yet another upgrade to IL-2, or (as I believed) a 110% brand new sim/game?

PS: the fact UBI is involved is making me worried, wanting to get the facts straight.

Wow it doesn't take a lot to worry you..

How the hell you can get from 'next installment' (a commonly used phrase)
to the code being the same? It's absolutley stupid. I can't believe you're quoting dictionary definitions to justify your negativity towards this game.

Pathetic

Trumper
01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I think by instalment they mean that COD is the first part of other theatre of operations,more battles will be added on.

T}{OR
01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
latest instalment = next generation ;)

There are other parts that should have been translated better, as others already noted.

Advice: go out, have a beer, celebrate the release date and stop worrying. :)

Flying Pencil
01-19-2011, 06:20 PM

to the code being the same? It's absolutley stupid. I can't believe you're quoting dictionary definitions to justify your negativity towards this game.

Pathetic

Was my post that obtuse?
My rant is on the title and the press release, and the simple fact is by using the word "installment" they are saying CoD is a direct relation to IL-2.

It is like saying Battlestar Galactica (2004) is the next "installment" of Battlestar Galactica (1979).

Devil in the details

Flying Pencil
01-19-2011, 06:23 PM

There are other parts that should have been translated better, as others already noted.

I disagree on "latest instalment = next generation"

But completely agree on
"There are other parts that should have been translated better, as others already noted.

Advice: go out, have a beer, celebrate the release date and stop worrying. "

My rant is done.

Cheers!! ;)

Robert
01-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Not sure pencil's old enough for a beer. :D

baronWastelan
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
some code of the original IL-2 is in CoD

The latest vids which have engine sounds clearly reveal that is the case. Not counting the "official trailer" using out-dated Igromir clips with dubbed in sounds.

David603
01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
The latest vids which have engine sounds clearly reveal that is the case. Not counting the "official trailer" using out-dated Igromir clips with dubbed in sounds.
Reusing sound clips is not the same as reusing game code.

Heliocon
01-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Well I picked up on it in a different way. The AA looks very strange, much closer to IL2 than a modern game (Wings of Prey has far better AA, clearly silky smooth edges). Also the gunfire from the videos we have seen looks weird, like the tracers are moving rectangular textures (which they used to use), while WOP actually look musch closer to the real thing, the bright tracer is blurred and leaves behind a wake as a bullet does.
Maybe I am just nit picking.

*edit - I was just reading this interview where Oleg states the engine is completely new and rebuilt, so I think we have to trust him on this one. For now until I see more gameplay I am going to put it as either: the artists/programmers used a similar method or procedure to generate the effect in the new engine, resulting in visual simularity that seems "out of place". But my god the Jaggies!
http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/198-gaming-interviews/6459-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-interview

baronWastelan
01-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Reusing sound clips is not the same as reusing game code.

Please provide a link to a post made by any 1C developer stating "Reusing sound clip" in reference to any dev update video with sound. In the absence of any facts to support your statement, we thank you for your opinion.

Feathered_IV
01-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Wait until FP realizes the press release says CoD will merely "take off" in March and doesn't actually say the word release. He may need to go into permanent care.

:p

mazex
01-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Well I picked up on it in a different way. The AA looks very strange, much closer to IL2 than a modern game (Wings of Prey has far better AA, clearly silky smooth edges). Also the gunfire from the videos we have seen looks weird, like the tracers are moving rectangular textures (which they used to use), while WOP actually look musch closer to the real thing, the bright tracer is blurred and leaves behind a wake as a bullet does.
Maybe I am just nit picking.

*edit - I was just reading this interview where Oleg states the engine is completely new and rebuilt, so I think we have to trust him on this one. For now until I see more gameplay I am going to put it as either: the artists/programmers used a similar method or procedure to generate the effect in the new engine, resulting in visual simularity that seems "out of place". But my god the Jaggies!
http://www.neocrisis.com/articles/198-gaming-interviews/6459-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover-interview

Well, as we first heard of this completely new engine beeing in development in 2004 and the first release date was in late 2006 I would be very amazed to hear that a bunch of talented developers have spent seven years modifying their old engine...

leggit
01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Wait until FP realizes the press release says CoD will merely "take off" in March and doesn't actually say the word release. He may need to go into permanent care.

:p
agreed....best get 911 on speed dial.

baronWastelan
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, as we first heard of this completely new engine beeing in development in 2004 and the first release date was in late 2006 I would be very amazed to hear that a bunch of talented developers have spent seven years modifying their old engine...

In 1993 a very prestigious auto maker unveiled a "New 911 Carerra". If Porsche can get away with calling a [then] 30-year-old design "new", why shouldn't Oleg try the same thing with "New Il-2 Sturmovik"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhF__PI2vA

Novotny
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
This is embarrassing - you guys clearly know nothing about programming. Please STFU in regard to software engineering if you've no idea how it actually works. You can't criticise an engineering process if your understanding of it equates to a stone-age dude looking at space-ships and thinking he can spot flaws. Armchair muppets.

Sorry, bit of an aggressive response but then you're being wilfully arrogant about something you have no comprehension of. It's extremely neanderthal.

leggit
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
m8 if your talking to the author of this thread its a waste of time....he last his marbles long ago.;)

Peffi
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Pathetic

Winny, SHUT UP :!:

Novotny
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Mods, could we lock this thread? Or just delete it?