PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else annoyed with orcs?

MrBlister
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I want to enjoy the orcs and the adrenaline, but so many of the abilities are not just bad, but worse than doing nothing. And it's not just the self-consuming goblins, it's the orc veterans too. I mean, the more adrenaline he gets, the less likely enemies are to counter attack. I WANT THEM TO COUNTER ATTACK SO I CAN GET THE EXTRA HITS! Or his ability which doubles the damage of some other orc? Come on. I mean, the best way to use him is to drain all his adrenaline into rage.

And what about the orc commander guy--the one who's a recruiter? Yeah, his recruit doesn't actually work.

And the orc shaman--the one with totems? Man, the coolest one, but every round my game hangs and I have to alt-tab to hit "ignore" on a bug popup.

Is there a mod or something that fixes up the orcs?

MrBlister
12-09-2010, 12:31 AM
lol, also, I've unlocked 6 islands now, and have gotten 1 piece of body armor called magician's cowl. This would be great if I weren't playing a warrior. So, I got my pirate buddy wearing the cowl, but no single vendor on any of the islands I've opened have yet to sell a single piece of armor, and apparently a warrior can't wear a dress. Every empty vendor just makes my rage +10.

DGDobrev
12-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Didn't the warrior have a dress/regalia slot? As for the body armor, you're just unlucky. The game thrives solely on randomization and sometimes it does not pan out just the way a player wants it or needs it to be - troop-wise, enemy-wise or equipment-wise.

MrBlister
12-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I can put a dress in the dress regalia/dress slot, but I literally didn't have a single piece of equipment to put in the armor-only slot for over half the game.

Anything thing I'm bummed about is I haven't gotten a single divine armor scroll. I just finished Sheterra and want to start working on my last unlocked island. I think I might end up finishing the game without ever getting the scroll. I've got this great combo where first round I teleport my orc veteran right into the middle of all their enemies (with counter-attack at 3 of course), then wait on my rune mage until the end of the round, ressurect him back to full, then cast stone skin on him beginning of second round. Know what would make it work so much better? Divine armor. :(

I get that it's random, but you'd think there'd be some sort of provision to make sure at least 1 of each scroll had a chance to drop in the game, right? I sorta wish it was the same way with the items as well. I know some are fixed, but man I sure wish I'd found this sword of the elements when I was playing my mage. I swear I looked at every shop, and never saw this item, but I've got one now, playing my warrior. :/

I'm telling you man, the game's doing it on purpose--it's messing with our minds!

DGDobrev
12-10-2010, 09:34 AM
There is a work-around :) Scan your game in advance.

MrBlister
12-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow, I wish I had done that before this game. Here's some epic QQ:

I got the black helm and the fragment thing from moro dark (fyi: undead or demons in your reserves count as having them in your army). I also have the whole vampire set. So, I'm thinking epic undead beatdown, right?

Wrong. There are only 70 black knights in my whole game. I mean, I guess I can start doing some foolery with sacrifice, but here's the worst part: there are no ancient vampires for sale anywhere and no one will upgrade the regular ones for me. :(

So, I'm like, it's ok, I also completed the demon set. I'll just go get some sweet archdemons and succubus instead of vamps, and whip some ass! Nope again--the warrior counter-attack skill says it works with humanoids, but apparently the archdemon and demoness aren't considered humanoids. Really? Is it 'cause they have tails or something?

I mean, it's still kinda fun. The demoness's crit for 16-18k, and they crit frequently (wish the demon tongue was a part of the demon set instead of the salamander banner--such a miss there). I also like to put my archdemon near a corner, then phantom him into the corner, then swap the phantom with some squishy ranged nuisance. It would just be cooler if I were doing this with a fat-stack of black knights and ancient vampires for massive counter-attack beatdown. I mean, I skilled into the crit-on-counter thing--would be nice to get some real use out of it. :/

Elwin
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Well if u dont have black knighs, its your fault. Necrmoancer Mesmere can change canoner alchmists and brigadiers into black knights, u can get tons of them ... but i bet you killed him without doing that ;p

MrBlister
12-10-2010, 09:32 PM
lol, I totally did! Last time I played, I ditched a bunch of troops and ran around collecting those damn dwarves. This time I was like, "Um, no thnx."

Haven't bothered to go get the pirates for that stupidass either. I mean, seriously, the guy is just standing in one spot--he could run around and get his own mercenaries. Seriously now, would you like to see the wine list? My god, get a job.

MrBlister
12-10-2010, 10:14 PM
BTW: pain mirror on an arch-demon after he halves a large stack = lulz

ckdamascus
12-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I want to enjoy the orcs and the adrenaline, but so many of the abilities are not just bad, but worse than doing nothing. And it's not just the self-consuming goblins, it's the orc veterans too. I mean, the more adrenaline he gets, the less likely enemies are to counter attack. I WANT THEM TO COUNTER ATTACK SO I CAN GET THE EXTRA HITS! Or his ability which doubles the damage of some other orc? Come on. I mean, the best way to use him is to drain all his adrenaline into rage.

And what about the orc commander guy--the one who's a recruiter? Yeah, his recruit doesn't actually work.

And the orc shaman--the one with totems? Man, the coolest one, but every round my game hangs and I have to alt-tab to hit "ignore" on a bug popup.

Is there a mod or something that fixes up the orcs?

Goblins and Orc Veterans are awesome. They get passive bonuses for higher adrenaline too.

Goblin Shamans can reduce enemy resistance to negative levels just by attacking.

Goblins do ridiculous damage with the proper buffs, and have a chance to attack more than once per round.

Orc Veterans are really good. Just 'quaff' a Potion of Rage so you get a speed bonus, so when you regain Adrenaline Level 3, the enemy can't counter attack.

If you want him to do more damage, just Phantom him instead. The clones end up with zero rage, so they will counter-counter attacks. :)

It is nice to have the flexibility of having no retalation or counter-counter attacking for more damage.

No retaliation is a great way to kill certain bosses.

His damage doubler is a little broken. For starters, it doesn't double other orc's damage, it doubles your own damage, but you need another orc unit type in your army. Great for phantoms that are about to expire.

Minecontrol
12-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Didn't the warrior have a dress/regalia slot? As for the body armor, you're just unlucky. The game thrives solely on randomization and sometimes it does not pan out just the way a player wants it or needs it to be - troop-wise, enemy-wise or equipment-wise.

The randomness is one of the interesting things about replaying the game. I don't use scanners at all, it's more fun if you don't know how kind or cruel the game vendors are going to be when you first land on Verona (i have never even seen a completed set item except for one given as reward for killing Scrounger).

This current game i am playing has been cruel, no decent units available and having visited most of the islands only one or two decent items (Royal Hammer (but i think that is always there) and Magician's Cowl (Great, Great item for any class).

Minecontrol
12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Anything thing I'm bummed about is I haven't gotten a single divine armor scroll. I just finished Sheterra and want to start working on my last unlocked island. I think I might end up finishing the game without ever getting the scroll. I've got this great combo where first round I teleport my orc veteran right into the middle of all their enemies (with counter-attack at 3 of course), then wait on my rune mage until the end of the round, ressurect him back to full, then cast stone skin on him beginning of second round. Know what would make it work so much better? Divine armor. :(

I'm telling you man, the game's doing it on purpose--it's messing with our minds!

Ah so you can't find a scroll!?

Know what is more frustrating? Not being able to buy a scroll (except at the beginning). It's a great game and all (for me it has had a real Heroes of M&M 3 effect - that good!) but it makes no sense you can only carry ten scrolls. I mean think about it, you are walking around with five swords, four suits of armor, three shields and even a Countess! Yet you can't find the room for more than 10 pieces of paper. It makes no sense the scroll limit.

BTW, does anyone know what units can be trained into Shamans (the regular shamans with the axes)?

ckdamascus
12-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Ah so you can't find a scroll!?

Know what is more frustrating? Not being able to buy a scroll (except at the beginning). It's a great game and all (for me it has had a real Heroes of M&M 3 effect - that good!) but it makes no sense you can only carry ten scrolls. I mean think about it, you are walking around with five swords, four suits of armor, three shields and even a Countess! Yet you can't find the room for more than 10 pieces of paper. It makes no sense the scroll limit.

BTW, does anyone know what units can be trained into Shamans (the regular shamans with the axes)?

There are items and skills you can learn (Wisdom in the Magic Tree) that can raise your scroll limit.

I don't believe any unit can be trained into a Shaman. Sorry.

Your best bet is to get a few, and use Sacrifice to bolster your numbers. As a tip, if you have astral resistance, Sacrifice does less damage to your own units BUT you still net the full benefit!

Minecontrol
12-24-2010, 11:31 PM
There are items and skills you can learn (Wisdom in the Magic Tree) that can raise your scroll limit.

True, i am just commenting on the strangeness of having a scroll limit in the game.

I don't believe any unit can be trained into a Shaman. Sorry.

Your best bet is to get a few, and use Sacrifice to bolster your numbers. As a tip, if you have astral resistance, Sacrifice does less damage to your own units BUT you still net the full benefit!

Have never used Sacrifice and don't have it on me, would it allow me to actually increase (like in recruiting) my stack in game which would last beyond the fight?

atlatea
12-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Yep it does. problem is it is very mana consuming.

ckdamascus
12-25-2010, 05:09 PM
True, i am just commenting on the strangeness of having a scroll limit in the game.

Have never used Sacrifice and don't have it on me, would it allow me to actually increase (like in recruiting) my stack in game which would last beyond the fight?

I suppose one could argue that the magical powers of holding all those scrolls together was too much for her to handle. However, that wouldnt explain how you can hold more scrolls than capacity if you find them in treasure chests

Yeah, the scroll limit is really annoying. Actually, what annoys me more is how come I can't sell the scrolls on every continent? You can only sell at castles and not every continent has a friendly castle, let alone, castle! Either add a castle everywhere so you can store reserve troops or let people buy/sell back items to any merchant.

I use the treasure digging a lot and had about 112 scrolls... out of 24 capacity! I couldn't buy Sheep or Divine Armor unless I could beat Uchhuk.

Alas, his 340 goblin shaman was going to spell trouble for my team...

Sacrifice is a bit annoying to use. You need to dominate your enemy enough so you easily do this without risking the battle.

Cast Sacrifice on your own unit (cannot be a summon) that we shall call the "Donor" unit, then a percentage of that damage is used to "Create" units to the "Beneficiary".

Ideally, it is easier to create lower level units from high level units since you can simply heal back damage. Perhaps one can try dual-stack droids?

So, you can cast Level 1 Sacrifice on a Red Dragon, dealing say 700 damage (with enough intellect). At level 1 Sacrifice, 40% of that damage is 175, so you can increase your Shaman ranks by 1. It does not round up, it rounds down.

Level 3 Sacrifice does 60% instead of 40%.

If you have the Crown of Chaos, you can RESIST that 700 damage by 50%! So your Red Dragon will only take 350 damage, but you will still get 175 points of Creation HP.

A real shame, I get a weird feeling that they made it a LOT easier to get trophies now, and the Shaman is one of the few units you can't do it so easily.

Did you use the scanner to see if there are any other Shaman?

Minecontrol
12-27-2010, 08:55 PM
I found Sacrifice after reading your tip and started using it yesterday, i am now up to 89 shamans from 9 (using the spell), great spell it is (and perfect with a droid army which is what i have as well).

Current Game Status, level 40 warrior imposs no loss, no scanner, no kiting, doing for time(as quickly as i can) and am only on day 8 morning (have Pegasus).

Units Guard Droids (approx 160), Repair Droids (approx 250), 9 Rune Mages, 89 Shamans and 50 Engineers.

It is working out well for the most part but spellcasting Hero enemies leave me with a huge resurrection bill (i am really noticing once again just how overpowered the missing Paladin unit is).

ckdamascus
12-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I found Sacrifice after reading your tip and started using it yesterday, i am now up to 89 shamans from 9 (using the spell), great spell it is (and perfect with a droid army which is what i have as well).

Current Game Status, level 40 warrior imposs no loss, no scanner, no kiting, doing for time(as quickly as i can) and am only on day 8 morning (have Pegasus).

Units Guard Droids (approx 160), Repair Droids (approx 250), 9 Rune Mages, 89 Shamans and 50 Engineers.

It is working out well for the most part but spellcasting Hero enemies leave me with a huge resurrection bill (i am really noticing once again just how overpowered the missing Paladin unit is).

Yeah, Geyser is seriously annoying.

UnLucky
12-27-2010, 11:53 PM
there are no ancient vampires for sale anywhere and no one will upgrade the regular ones for me. :(I got four in my first game on like the second island. I obviously used them up and it was a blast. I even had the vampire sword. Much later I found the vampire ring and was all stoked, but yeah, no more ancient vampires in the world.

So, I'm like, it's ok, I also completed the demon set. I'll just go get some sweet archdemons and succubus instead of vamps, and whip some ass! Nope again--the warrior counter-attack skill says it works with humanoids, but apparently the archdemon and demoness aren't considered humanoids. Really? Is it 'cause they have tails or something?I'm not even sure what is considered humanoid. Imps, orcs, dwarves, fairies and lycanthropes are humanoid, but lizardmen and some demons aren't.

I mean, it's still kinda fun. The demoness's crit for 16-18k, and they crit frequently (wish the demon tongue was a part of the demon set instead of the salamander banner--such a miss there).Yeah, I modded the set to do just that, actually. I found the salamander banner and was like "wow this kinda blows, the demon tongue is loads better" so I felt it was fair. I also changed demonesses to have 3 speed and a 20% charm effect on the normal attack (a la Dryad) although enemies still counter if you charm them, yet you deal zero damage. Three-way and no-retaliation would be apt for a succubus, but I think that's a bit too ambitious.

atlatea
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Wait, sacrifice works on droids? From what i remembered, it doesn't.

BB Shockwave
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I got four in my first game on like the second island. I obviously used them up and it was a blast. I even had the vampire sword. Much later I found the vampire ring and was all stoked, but yeah, no more ancient vampires in the world.

Vlad Veget (Vegeta?) will upgrade them from regular vampires for a price - of course, this means you need to let him live and fail a quest. But I never really wanted to kill him, seriously, he's a vegetarian vampire. So what if he sucks on evil, scary talking trees? Better them then us humans. :) I'm not sure either, but you should check the Necromancer in the Montero mines, he also upgrades undead if you do his quest.

I had to cheat in KB- The Legend, because there really were no Ancient Vampires anywhere, neither a way to upgrade them.

I'm not even sure what is considered humanoid. Imps, orcs, dwarves, fairies and lycanthropes are humanoid, but lizardmen and some demons aren't.

Read the manual - both orc Shamans and Archdemons do not count as humanoids. Demonesses are humanoid, but are female - maybe that's why they are excluded.