PDA

View Full Version : After last 1GB update on Steam KB freezes when switching campaigns

City Builder
09-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello,

I don't know what Steam is up to, but after installing KBAP and KBCR and validating multiple times the game finally worked the way I think it should.

However, I shut down steam and restarted it, and then it downloaded another 1GB update to AP.

Now when I start the game and choose one of the campaigns, the game no longer tells me that it needs to restart, but rather just starts at the opening movie (the one with what looks like digital number to a digital clock) and if I click on it to bypass the videos the game freezes up.

Update If I sit through the videos it doesn't freeze. Well that is to say that it's not really freezing, it's bypassing the videos like it should when I click on them, but the screen is freezing in KB. If I ctrl+alt+del and go to task manager and then click the KB icon on my start bar (task bar) then the game takes me to the main menu. So while it's not technically freezing or crashing, it is not behaving like it should behave when I click on the videos to bypass them.

AND... It only does this AFTER choosing another campaign. Once a campaign is chosen and restarting the game I can click through all the videos to get to the main menu. Something strange going on here.

Tianx
09-18-2010, 01:07 AM
That has been a problem with the mod and I guess they didn't fix it yet. One thing you can do is manually change the campaign by changing the following line in the *\kings bounty armored princess\data\app.ini file

sets ~session "(put the name of the campaign here)"

and then restart the game.

So if you want orc's march

it will be sets ~session "orcs"

Rhygadon
09-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Yeah, campaign-switching has been buggy since it was first implemented. On my (Steam) version of original AP, switching to/from the Gift Bag campaign would hard-crash Windows XP, every time.

Ironically, the "mistaken" release of Crossworlds has worked fine for me. And now that I've heard about these bugs, I think I may just mark AP as "do not update" in Steam, and keep it that way. :p

rancor26
09-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah, campaign-switching has been buggy since it was first implemented. On my (Steam) version of original AP, switching to/from the Gift Bag campaign would hard-crash Windows XP, every time.

Ironically, the "mistaken" release of Crossworlds has worked fine for me. And now that I've heard about these bugs, I think I may just mark AP as "do not update" in Steam, and keep it that way. :p

That's what you get for not following the advice... before the game was released it had been said that you should have a clean install of AP before installing CW. I havent had any problems with my game when i had a clean install so its all because u have modded the files or have giftbag previously installed etc.

Aesir
09-18-2010, 02:57 PM
That's what you get for not following the advice... before the game was released it had been said that you should have a clean install of AP before installing CW. I havent had any problems with my game when i had a clean install so its all because u have modded the files or have giftbag previously installed etc.

Rancor, I had a clean install. I've linked you (in another topic) the steps to demonstrate the problems folks are having just for you.

You and others that do a very specific set of steps won't notice the problem. You still have the core problem with the steam install - everyone does - but you won't notice it unless you try to update and play Armored Princess again.

Also, "you" not having a problem only confirms that you either don't know what to look for, or haven't tried AP since installing CW.

Saiko Kila
09-18-2010, 09:15 PM
You and others that do a very specific set of steps won't notice the problem. You still have the core problem with the steam install - everyone does - but you won't notice it unless you try to update and play Armored Princess again.

Also, "you" not having a problem only confirms that you either don't know what to look for, or haven't tried AP since installing CW.

Personally, I see no reason to play AP when you can just change the campaign to original in CW and use your old saves. Yes, the old AP has problems with changing campaigns (on some systems at least, on my system it wasn't hard-lock but only lengthy lag, like several seconds, so I had to modify config file manually), but CW seem to be free of them. I have no lags when switching, no crashes. I have giftbag, it works for me, as far as I could check it, i.e. no crashes, and all items available. Also, Save Game Scanner works with CW :) Just don't run AP from steam game list.

And I have started a new campaign with orcs, and play it concurrently to the old one. When I'm bored with green heroine I'm switching to the old campaign with high-level one.