PDA

View Full Version : Mod for restarting game after beating.

Mythrignoc
09-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Is there a mod, or the possibility of a mod that lets you restart the game as the same character (same level, same items, etc) but make the game more difficult as per your presumed character level, akin to a Nightmare and Hell version (re: Diablo 2)?

I like the overall game, but I'd love to see if it could become even more epic, especially since the end of the game results in you being around 40th-50th level, and you can easily go beyond 100th level.

Personally, to have a literal army fighting another army (with platoons ranging in the 10,000+ sizes, who wouldn't love to try and fight 500 red dragons all at once :grin: ) just sounds fricking fun as hell.

DGDobrev
09-07-2010, 12:41 AM
That would be some mod :)

First, I have absolutely no idea how we can force the game to reset... then an entirely new XP table has to be made, the skills will also need some remastering...

I think what you're asking borders with impossibility :)

Mythrignoc
09-07-2010, 02:40 AM
Not exactly, it's already been proven that skills can be modified as per other mods, so modifying them to take more points could potentially be possible. As for an XP table, no it wouldn't need to be modified.

Despite the game only allowing up to 60th level, the console will allow you to go further. I'm not sure on the absolute maximum cap, but lets just say I tested the console and had a level 165 mage, and the leadership bonuses you get each level still continued to grow. Now that was cheating, I know, but the point is there -is- room for more levels. 255 would be a good maximum (for this kind of mod) IMO.

Not sure how to force the game to save after the credits and log that you completed the game to move forward but considering Crossworlds is going to come with an editor, nothing is impossible (though I don't doubt it'd be really really difficult).

Basically my issue is this, I would like to play the game again, but because I would have to start everything from scratch and not just the quests, I don't really see the point or even want to try.

The items wouldn't really need to be upgraded either. Many of the medium to super nice items use percentages as opposed to static numbers, thus I don't see the need to create 'Exceptional' and 'Elite' items. And as the game revolves around numbers, and "Horde" = infinity, there's plenty of room for huge armies.

The only things that would need to be changed are the rewards for quests, numbers for random encounters, the level cap, and the ability to restart the game at higher difficulties while keeping your current level and army. Those four things, well two of them (Rewards and random enounters) are easily possible in the new upcoming editor. The third (Level cap) is already possible, so the only real issue is the continuation of the game.

The parts that might be necessary but might be impossible are upgrading the skill level and spell level caps. And against 500 of any 5th tier enemy, well attack spells are really useless.

DGDobrev
09-07-2010, 05:59 AM
There is no maximum cap (best one has gotten was lvl 61), the developers simply added an XP calculation formula, because I'm sure they expected some enthusiasts to create a bunch of mods based on that.

However, it's still the reset part that worries me, just like you. We'll have to wait for crossworlds to come out first, I guess - then we'll see the new potential :)

marcinl0
09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
We'll have to wait for crossworlds to come out first, I guess - then we'll see the new potential :)

I think the idea of the mod for restarting game after beating is v. good, i remember old good Diablo and other awesome Dungeons & Dragons cRPG, but do you think in crossworlds this mod really should be possible? Or we must wait on new King's Bounty 2 hopefully with this option...

Mythrignoc
09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Eh...I see no reason for a kings bounty 2 at all. The expansions are stand alone, the rules are just fine. Sure the original skill tree was kind of lame considering it heavily relied on you having humans but the armored princess tree fixes this.

Unless it's an entirely new system of rules, I would rather see this type of mod in KB1 and any of the expansions.