PDA

View Full Version : Advice for impossible mage?

Tembo
07-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I have read some strategies here, most of them include brining for example royal snakes, inquisitors or demonologist. And I can also bring thos units for the first 2-3 islands without any unit losses, but I just cant see how you can bring for example royal snakes or inqusitors to verona and montero and further, since a lot of them go down in a single puch? without getting any losses I mean....

The only way I have cleared the first four islands and a bit of Verona witout any unit lost is by brining cyclops, trolls, repair, droids, repair droids, guard droids..however haveing to repair droids in your army cause the battles to take long time..and I cant seem to be able to make Verona/Monterro...I use treausure searcher to be able to buy all +intellect stuff I find, I spam flaming arrow and traps but I just dont seem to be able get though Verona without huge losses. And ofcourse i get medals and do all quest and get all banners and these basic stuff..Any advice on what I am doing wrong?

I also wonder how you do to bring "weak" ranged like demonologist? If I bring them in Verona ranged units target them and like 2 hits will be more than they can res..

kcwong
07-25-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm trying to do my first impossible mage no loss game too... I am not even as far into the game as you!

Do you have the spell "Target"? I think combining that with Stone Skin, a fast unit to let you cast first, and a cannon fodder stack that can be easily resurrected, is the way to keep Demonologists and other similar fragile but useful stacks alive.

N3MES1S
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, as a mage, u will need a lot of strategy to make a no losses game on impossible, but it is not impossible -.-. Royal Snakes are good on the first 3-4 island, after that u should change em for a stronger unit. Inquisitors are better and is one of the lvl 3 units that u can keep cuz inquisitors are really useful. With mage, u need to abuse of the rage ability of inquisitors, and u should get royal griffins or something else that summons units (like demonologists right) and raise the summoning tree skill the fastest u can. When u fight a lot of level 1-4 creatures, use fear on em, use stone skin on inquisitors, and use invisibility + target if u can (of course u need to cast target before invisibilty). A nice combination is paladin + inquisitors, but u only need paladins to support inquisitors. Maintain paladins closer to inquisitors and if some troops reach inquisitors, use paladins to kill em. Resurrect if u need (either with inquisitors or paladins). With mage, u can resurrect for about 5 times, (demonologists, paladins, inquisitors, resurrection spell * 2 if u have higher magic on level 3). But i tell u, no losses on impossible with mage is a bit hard. I only did it once for about 10 games i played. Be aware that since u are playing with mage u will need protection spells like stone skin, divine armour, etc just for suplying the lack of atk and def. And dont forget that u need to maximize your intellect, cuz spells on mage are basic. I think, the first thing u need to do is to pick royal griffins if u can, and use the summon avenging guards at the first turn. Then fear + target whenever u can.

Razorflame
07-25-2010, 10:19 PM
or use droids

and let them regenerate themselves while u rip away with damaging spells

keep a low stack alive that can't damage your droid and just wait for full health/stack

:)

saves alot of trouble on killing heroes/bosses ^^

clinek
07-26-2010, 10:08 PM
the strategy i am about to give is the absolute easiest that i have found thus far. Im going to start from the very beggining of the game and explain it as if you never played the game, or only played the game a few times so bare with me. This can be used for no loss, or just to make the game less frustrating.

1. start the game and go through the training session to jump to level 2 (pick the blue pet dragon for the initiative bonus... trust me).

2. go to the fish guy in debir and do the quest. you dont have to kill any monsters and you will get a decent amount of experience.

3. talk to the priestess on debir about the stone of hope. You want to then get all of the maps on debir. These maps require no kiting, just possibly running away from a few enemies. They are very easy to get. Once you find the way to bolo, travel there. Go to the left entrance to the island where you will see a ship and some little tent thing. Run past all the units (it can be somewhate difficult but it is no where near impossible) and head into the cave on your left. Follow the rightmost path, until you see a big droid. Get close to him and he will run after you. This is kinda like kiting but he is much easier to lure away than most all enemies who guard maps. Approach him from the right and let him follow you for a bit. Once he is far enough away from the map, lure him towards the wall, then run around him and grab the amulet of illumination from inside of the chest. Immediately use it to recieve 50 leadership. Go back to the priestess, you get a bunch of exp, and 200 leadership for getting the stone.

4. go to scarlet wind and immediatly start traveling to your right. You will see an opening to go into with a few very small sandspots. Right up ahead there will be a map either to your left, or in the middle of the path. Take that map ( you may have to run around a few enemies) and you will probably get a way to rust anchor; if not, travel to bolo and you will find a map sitting out in the middle of the island. to find it, go the same way you would go to get to the cave but turn to the right instead of making a left into the cave.

5. travel to scarlet wind if you choose to, do a few quest which will really give you a lot of experience compared to the earlier islands. unfortuneatly at this point you must start to kite if you want to play through the game with little frustration so i will tell you the easiest maps to kite. They are always in random spots so some of the spots may not even have a map

A) the first one which i suggest you kite immediately off to your left once you get to rusty anchor. There is a little island with a monster and a map. What you need to do here is land on the left side of the island. SAVE THE GAME NOW! My first suggestion is to learn how close you need to get to the monster before he starts to chase you. Do it a few times and get a feel for it. Now for the kill, get close to the monster and then put the movement arrow right at the horses head. Click the mouse AND IMMEDIATELY CLICK THE BOAT so that the monster will follow you like an idiot to the endge of the island. You must do this part quickly, once you get in the boat, travel to the other side of the little island, land, grab the map, and leave.

B) Once you get to the island, travel to your right until you see some dwarf hanging out by a cave. There is a monster walking around there so wait for him to walk off to your left before you land. Run straight and you will see a monster guarding a map right in front of you. SAVE THE GAME NOW! approach him from the right and find out how close you need to get to him before he chases you. once you know this, get close, then run away. He will only have moved a little bit so do a quick f5 save and run back close to him. This time it will be a little bit different. Once the monster initially moves, he will not chase you the second you get close. Instead, he will get the red exclamation point and just stare at you for a second. Wait a minute before you run because he will not chase you. Once he starts chasing you, run the other way. At this point, you should be able to run around him and grab the map.

6) after getting one of the two maps from rusty anchor (those are the only ones i was able to kite without spending waaaaay too much time) you will have access to either verona, tekron, or dersu island. Anyone of these island will give you pretty good units, items, ect. Your first step here is to FIND A TROLL. Your main goal at this point is to get to verona. The reason for this is because one of the maps at verona gives access to elon which has all the maps for reha, nameless island, sheterra, blah blah blah. Anyways, sneak around the islands until you get a troll

7. Once you have a troll, travel to scarlet wind and MAKE SURE IT IS EVENING OR NIGHT TIME!!!!!! Have only the troll in your army and go attack the monsters that are guarding the maps. Hide the troll in a corner so that there is only 2 (max 3) opening for enemies to attack. You will find two sets of monsters here and one of the maps that they guard lead a way to verona

8. Travel to verona and begin moving in a leftward manner. You will see a ghost ship on the beach, park you boat there. If you look by the woods, you will see a monster that will (hopefully) be guarding a map, if not, that really sucks for you. You know the drill with kiting by now if you followed my advice earlier. If you kite this monster, this will be the last one you have to kite because it will lead to Elon.

9. If the monster above did not have a map to kite, You can try to kite other monsters in the area but they are really hard to do. I suggest you get the green dragon from rusty anchor to help you in your struggle. Try to get to montero by evading all the monsters until you get the the big bridge where a group of monsters is guarding the way. You have no choice but to kill the monsters so make sure you have an army to do so, Those of you who are going for no losses, have dragons if possible and utilize the "fear" spell A LOT.

10. There are plenty of maps you can sneak around to grab in montero which will lead you to dersu, tekron, and (I dont remeber what the other islands name is though). That island is a usless until you can kill the monsters there so dont waste your time. The monsters in dersu are really really easy to kite so dont hesitate there. Tekron has maps inside the underground canal but only one of them is possible to get (yes, the other one is litterally impossible to kite). do the quest here with the abyss and soap and you will gain a lot of levels due to the experience you get. You know the drill for the kiting the maps.

11. Once you get to elon, You will get two maps without even trying. Head around the island to the left until you see a black towards the center of the island and climb the steps to get one map, and the other should be by the big tree or by the shiny tower. The other one(s) do require kiting but once you get access to shettera, nameless, reha, ect, the game will be a breeze.

12. Run to one of these island and get these units for now, black dragons, red dragons, green dragons, bone dragons, and archdemons. This will be you final army for the rest of the game except for a few fights.

Ok now i will go in detail about the strategy that needs to be used in battle as well as what to put runes into and when. I am only going to discuss the strategy for a mage!!!! What you wanna do is get chaos magic level 3 before anything else. Next, aim for the skill tha gives a damage bonus to to your spells (destroyer?). Next, put a point or two into higher magic then go for thesis level 3. Once you have those skills, only focus on getting voice of the dragon in the mind skill tree. Its going to be a while before you can get that skill so in the mean time, spend very little mind runes and try to max distortion magic. Once you have voice of the dragon to level 3, four out of your five units will have great morale which adds a shit load of attack and defense to them all. Another necessity is to get the one skill (i forget what its called) that gives a random units 2+initiative and speed. Make sure you also get the summoner skill up to a high level. Your last goal is to get frenzy up to at least level 2. You will see why in the end. After those are completed, the rest of the runes can be spent however you want.

Strategy: Here are the spells that are absolutely required for you to do no loss. Phantom, calm rage, stone skin.

here are spells which i HIGHLY RECCOMEND you get as a mage.
Fire rain, poisen skull, fire arrow, time back, armageddon, death star, and geyser. Invisibility and fear are the two most important spells as a mage so make sure you get those two.

Ok so now that the skills and spells are out of the way, lets focus on the battle strategy. Most of the time, cast fear, then geyser or fire rain before making any other movements in the first round. You wanna make sure that the archers, soaring creatures, and any other units that can kill your units is disabled or dead. First, focus dragons, then on the archers, then on the units who can reach you the soonest such as griffins, followed by slow units (bears, sea dogs, skeletons, ect.) There is always going to be a massive stack of one unit, but with all level 5 units you can fear them for 4 turns for only 10 mana. THat massive stack of cannoneers, disabled. That huge stack of shamans, out of commission. Fear is truly one of the most useful spells in the game. Continue using damaging spells like fire rain, geyser, ect while running away and using the special abilities of your dragons. Bottum line DONT GET HIT BY ANTHING!!!! You are a mage, not a juggernaut, your units will die when a stack of 2000 goblins attack you. The reason why you pick these level 5 units is because they can run from enemy fire while doing massive amounts of damage to multiple units in the mean time.

Later in the game: O NO!! I cant kill any of the units with your strategy anymore kevin. Well lets switch things up a bit then. Later on the enemy armies become massive. When you have a stack of thousands of skeletons archers, you wont kill them in one round so what do you do? Get a single stack of green dragons and use invisibility. TA DA. most problems solved right? NO! Green dragons have low initiative and need it boosted. If you followed my advice and got the blue dragon, you now have an initiative of 6. The skill i told you to get that gives the initiative and speed bonus, now gives you 8. You will go before any units besides archdemons. This is why you use battle command to boost your initive even more when fighting demonion. This is what you do from here,

Round 1. Cast invisibility, then armageddon. Get close to your enemies and defend

Round 2, cast some low level spell on the enemy the wait. Once all of the enemies have used up thier turn, use time back on the dragons, the go use the mana sucking ability of the dragons to get all of your mana back. Repeat round one and 2 until enemy is dead.

Super bosses- Stack up on as much resistance as possible. For gremelion, get magic resistance. For baal and K;tahuu, get physical resistance. It is not hard at all to get 95% magic resistance but it is hard to get physical resistance so make use of stone skin. For all the bosses, use a single stack of paladins. Use your wanderer scrolls now (if you only have one of a certain type, save it for baal as you will need it)

Gremelion- destroy the summoner towers as soon as possible, do not touch the red gremlin towers. cast phantom twice in the first turn and keep using the second wind until you reach gremelion. Then just chop away while destroying the summoner towers. Keep casting stone skin on your main stack of paladins and also keep casting phantom to ressurect your dead units. If you do this you will win with no problems

K'thauu- He is a little bit more tricky than gremelion because of one reason, T'rex. The first round he will use his mass attack. This will take away a few paladins but no bit deal. Cast teleport and put your paladins right in front of his left hand (the second most left space you can attack him) then cast phantom. Attack him and he will swing at you like a dumbass and miss. Use second wind from you summoned stack then hit him again with your main stack then use prayer to heal your fallen units.
Round 2- he will summon a bunch of units. Cast stone skin on your main stack as soon as possible then cast phantom again and repeat what you did in round one. Focus your attack only on k'tahuu. DO NOT ATTACK THE SUMMONED UNITS EVER!!!!!. each time he summons units they are much much larger than the previous. You will retaliate against enemy attacks througout the fight which will give you an insane attack bonus by the end. I ended up with around 250 attack for my paladin stack just from the frenzy bonus. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SECOND STACK OF PALADINS AT ALL TIMES!!!!!! T'rexs can and will fear your units when they attack you so just imagine what happens when you are never able to attack, or cast stone skin. Its game over. cast calm rage every now and then to get your mana back up since each time you kill a stack, you get max rage. Also, when you changes position, dont run after him like a dumbass. Cast teleport and you will be right in front of him again. Kill k'tahuu, phanom your paladins, ressurect, and you won no loss.

Baal- the hardest of the three. Use the same strategy i mentioned above for k'tahuu. Once again, do not attack any of his units, you will get plenty of time to raise your attack from the retaliations.

Congratulations, you beat impossible without using a single unit.
I hope that helped

Razorflame
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
that is so much time wasting lol

on first island get royal snakes own the first island
rush to bolo get droids

and gg no re;)

clinek
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
too long?! Your crazy. I have done every possible strategy there is and this one is by far the easiest. Droids, black knights, vampires, paladins, human army, single green dragon, you name it. Nothing works as well as this for a mage. Besides, good luck with no loss when elenhel geysers the shit out of you with your droid army. It is so easy to get the maps to the later areas, why fight all the armies with droids? Its just another strategy that works for no loss, definitely not the best though.

N3MES1S
07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
too long?! Your crazy. I have done every possible strategy there is and this one is by far the easiest. Droids, black knights, vampires, paladins, human army, single green dragon, you name it. Nothing works as well as this for a mage. Besides, good luck with no loss when elenhel geysers the shit out of you with your droid army. It is so easy to get the maps to the later areas, why fight all the armies with droids? Its just another strategy that works for no loss, definitely not the best though.

This is the best strategy for beginners and for advance quick in the first islands, i dont doubt it. But u dont need to get the amulet of iluminaton that quick, that doesnt matter nothing with no losses game. And for a beginner, the need of kite the whole bolo island for getting into the cave should be a bit hard. U just need to get the exp shrine at the right stairway and the fish mission on debir island (leveling quick to level 3) and get the medals of no losses battles. With that on level 3, u have advantaje to solve any big army for the rest of the 3 first islands. And it seems is stupid , but it isnt. A lot of people just try to clear only the first island first, or they dont pick the exp shrine on bolo (this is basic), or they dont do the tutorial. Its a big difference between doing this or not.

Tembo
07-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Clinek, I think it was a very good and simple guide! Even though im a new to Kings bounty i could easily follow it until the map kiting at Verona for Elon map. That guard just simply won´t move AT ALL until you are face to face with him and he starts the fight..He doesent even get those red dots..Is it really possible to kite him?

MachDelta
07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Kiting the map guards really depends on what unit they're lead by. Some mobs are really easy to kite (Devilfish come to mind) and others can be really, really, hard (like Beholders or Pirates/Sea Dogs). Sometimes it is possible to find a unit that you cannot kite, but it's rare. It happened to me in my current game, where I had a Ogre on Dersu who was literally stuck in the trees. He would show exclamation marks but wouldn't actually move to chase me. Oh well. :)

Tembo
07-27-2010, 08:04 PM
but the Verona mapguard doesnt show any exclamation marks whatsoever no matter how close to him i get..

Zechnophobe
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
That the one on Bola? Yes, it will not move. The verona map on Scarlet is kitable however.

Not sure about Rusty, but I don't honestly remember where it spawns there.

clinek
07-27-2010, 10:27 PM
He is talking about the map in verona right by the ghost ship and yes, that map is very kitable. I would not tell you to look for that one if i wasn't 100% sure it can be done. i personally have done it several times within the last couple days (im trying for seven days no loss). Approach the monster from the left. Get close to him then save the game. When you are close, click on the horses head so that you only move a little bit. Keep doing this and save each time so you can find out how close you need to get to the monster before they chase you. The red exclamation point will pop up, you just have to approach different monsters at different angles for it to happen. Remember, kiting is diffferent for each monster, in each area; you have to learn how to deal with each.

Zechnophobe
07-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh, the map to Elon. Sorry, I didn't read the thread too thoroughly. Hmm, don't think I've tried to kite that one before (Only map I've really tried to kite is the one to verona from scarlet).

Tembo
07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Clinek, I dont quite understand what you mean by approach him from the left, it´s not possible to get left of him? i can´t get my whole horse there without starting the fight.. I uploaded a screenie here, how would you kite this guy? If i click one more time on the horses head the battle will start, without him aggroing..

clinek
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
no no no not that guy, im talking about the one right by the ghost ship. The one you are trying to do is not going to work out for you and it has never worked out for me. If you distance travel to verona, and travel to your left just a little bit, you should see a ghost ship (shipwreck). back towards the woods is where you will find the person you are looking for. If that guy is not guarding a map, let me know and ill find you a way to advance.

Zechnophobe
07-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Clinek, that ghost ship doesn't always spawn there, sometimes it is over on the far side of the island near the Champion.

And yes, the fight in the image is probably not kiteable. Though sometimes it will be a melee only enemy force, and therefore totally beatable.

clinek
07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
your kidding, i have played this game so many times and i have never seen the ghost ship by anywhere else. Hmmm i guess i must not have been paying attention but yea, some of the maps are simply not kiteable, thats one of the ones which i have never wasted much time on since it seemed impossible. The reason why im telling him to kite the one in between the lighthouse and the starting port is because i have personally been able to kite it multiple times with relative ease. plus its a guarenteed map to elon.

Tembo
07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Clinek, I found the right guy now, I did not pay enough attention to your decription at first. And he was very kiteable, think I got the Elon map in 2 mins or so. Your guide is really a great help, once you get the Elon map you can easily get better unts, items and spells. I just have one question, Im supposed to have the Ancient amulet at "Studio art Verona" in Verona, but I just dont seem to be able to find that place. Do you happen to know where it is?

clinek
07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
sorry i have never heard of that. Is it a quest or what? Anyways, Im glad the guide helped you though. Did you manage to get the maps found in elon? There are maps leading to reha, namless island, and shettera. Those are probably the easiest maps to find in the game so i suggest you find those and you will have access to more items, units, spells, ect. Also, while your in elon, make sure you visit the underground dragon cave to get access to red and black dragons. Its the cave right off to the left of where you start.

Razorflame
07-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Clinek, I dont quite understand what you mean by approach him from the left, it´s not possible to get left of him? i can´t get my whole horse there without starting the fight.. I uploaded a screenie here, how would you kite this guy? If i click one more time on the horses head the battle will start, without him aggroing..

this guy is kiteable don't so before so;-)

u either need to get better kiting skills or your movement is very bad:)

clinek
07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
that all depends razorflame, sometimes the monsters simply do not move. I have had several like that. You can play a game where one spot is really easy to kite then play the game again and the same person does not move at all even when your horse is touching him. It does happen. Like he said, he was easially able to kite the monster guarding the elon map by the entrance of verona so he obviously knows how to kite its just not always cut and dry.

itrog
08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Map: Avoid casualities in battles, use micro to steal maps without a fight. Go to another islands/continents asap and take leasership and gold, complete easy quests.

Creatures: Always use max lev possible creatures: inquisitors, droids, archmages and use a fear spell. Hire 5 lev creatures asap. U can use a travel spell that create colossus in ur army. Fight only at night to use troll's regeneration each turn. Leave empty army slots if u don't have lev 5 creature to avoid losses in lower lev creatures.

My first 5 lev army: trolls, gigants, cyclops, emerald dragons, ogres.
Army now: black dragons (best), emerald dragons (mana), red dragons, bone dragons, archdemons (fast), trolls (regeneration), cyclops (snipers).

Magic: Get:
Chaos lev 2 (fear, fire arrow, fireball)
Higher lev 1
Distortion lev 2 (slow, stone skin, geyser - to destroy towers)
Higher lev 2
Chaos lev 3
Distortion lev 3
Higher lev 3
Order lev 2,3 (heal, defensive spells)

Use Fear spell. With all lev 5 creatures in ur army and troll's regeneration is ur best spell. Use slow/blind when u can't use fear.

NPC: Take mage from Verona +4 to int.

Zechnophobe
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
If you don't like to kit nav maps, get the emerald dragon on Rusty Anchor, and then Order 2 magic early on for healing it. That, by itself, can win most of the battles on the first 4 or 5 islands. Trolls, reds, bones, etc are just gravy and simplicity after that.

jynki
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Well, this game is really easy once you know how to play, even impossible mode is a joke. Clearad all quests on all islands (apart for some special ones, like the main capital of verona and the last sppecial bosses) except sheterra (only partly done) and reha without ever losing a single unit. And I started this run after only 2 days of getting to know the game. They should really make the next game harder since this isnt a challenge at all. But however sheterra seems very hard for a mage, how do i beat for example a group of 40 green dragons and 35 black dragons? The greens isnt a problem because spells work on them, but how am i supposed to take out 35 black dragons?

Razorflame
08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
the spells trap works on black dragons

and astral damage too(armageddon, death star)

jynki
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Razor, i had no idea about that. great