PDA

View Full Version : paladin stats advice

alpinar
03-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi there...

Just finished the game on normal with my mage and i have started a new game on hard with a paladin ..I dont really now whats stats to prio as paladin..Seems its a bit of mele dmg with some magic if im not totally wrong...And the talent tree i guess you going for mind and magic?Will be thankfull for any advice,regards Alpina

ivra
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I tend to do the following when playing the three classes:

Warrior:
I use the pet dragon to deal damage. You can easily get 100+ and even close to 200 Rage. That means that maxed Fiery Phantoms, Lava Call and Dragon Dive can be used to deal massive damage to enemies. Ball of Lightning is very useful for a warrior as well, but I think this one is especially useful when you play as a mage. As a warrior I use my spells mostly for control and to cast Phantom. Since your leadership is high your phantomed stack becomes large even if your int is low. Against normal units it is very effective to cast phantom on units that summons new creatures. These summoned creatures do not vanish when the Phantom spell expires. Royal Griffins are very potent in this situation since you can get three cannon-fodder units more or less in the face of the enemy. It is very likely that the enemy attacks them instead of your main units.

Mage:
As a mage I tend to use my spell book to do most of the damage. I focus on a high int and use my pet dragon mostly for digging and mana. The only damage dealing ability I max is the Ball of Lightning. Since I fight using my spell book, I tend to only use Phantom when the battle is over to resurrect my fallen troops, by phantoming Paladins and/or Inquisitors. I often use the Stone Wall ability of the pet dragon to capture a weak melee unit so that I can spend whatever time I need to recover my losses.

Paladin:
As a paladin I mix the two. Everything is average as a paladin. Your pet dragon can be used to deal damage, but it is not as strong as for a warrior. Your leadership is average but still strong enough to do the Phantom of Royal Griffins (or similar summoning unit) trick to occupy the enemy with attacking your cannon-fodder units. It is easier to get a higher int as a paladin than as a warrior so your spells can deal a fair amount of damage. Also, standard tricks like Stone Skin + Target on you tank works well for a paladin. This one works fine with all classes, especially when you meet a lot of ranged enemy units.

The unique paladin skill allows you to play reckless with one of your stacks, since it will be totally ressurected after the battle. Notice that even if you do end up loosing nothing it does not count as a no-loss battle. So in the end of the game the lost units will be included in the casualties you obtained during the game.

alpinar
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Tnx for the advice m8..so i guess i can mix some int gear with some attack gear then or should i go for pure psy dmg gear

Starranger
03-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Paladin:

The unique paladin skill allows you to play reckless with one of your stacks, since it will be totally ressurected after the battle. Notice that even if you do end up loosing nothing it does not count as a no-loss battle. So in the end of the game the lost units will be included in the casualties you obtained during the game.

Here is my typical way for playing paladin on hard and impossible:

Like written also from other authors in other threads, in my oppinion the most helpfull use of this resurrect skill is: Bring it as fast as possible to level three.

Get Moron Dark as "part time"-companion and go for "Splinter of darkness". If you got the splinter, take a single stack of Black Knigths (Unlimited retaliation with splinter and try to max fenzy). No other units. With adrenaline skill, power of darkness and teleport casting you can reach every point of the battlefield before the enemy has its first turn. Resurrection during battle is done via evlin spell. If you still losssome BK they are resurrected by the paladin skill.

You can combine it with a dragon stack for pick up chests in no boss battles (put the dragons into the reserve slot during boss battles). And I dismiss Moro Dark after I got the splinter and use Elenihel (Wanderer Scrolls for less). Then I go for the power of Darkness skills of the Migth tree, rage control and fenzy:mrgreen: + Transmute from Magic skill tree (together with well of mana belt and mana accelerator of your dragon you got a lot of mana). Also collect artefacts that boost undead units (like the helmet), rage (banner of true faith+singing dagger+bracelet of fury=+40 rage and mana (portrait of ice queen+ perfect shoes+ magician cape+scaly bracelet=+80 mana). By max out the chaos, distortion magic I am not so big in INT, but due to artefacts and lot of mana I can cast very often.

And btw. do not kill the Necromancer in the driller underground. There you can exchange dwarven units for Black Knigths. I have 100+ in the second reserve slot for level up and when I use the wanderer Scrolls (+leadership) for boss battles.

ivra
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
So far there are two respones with very different answers. This is what is so great with KBTL. There are a lot of different ways to play it.

I guess putting it in general terms what is great with the paladin class is that you can select the part you like the most from both the mage and warrior classes and mix them together in your paladin game.

There are also examples that the paladin can be played as a damage dealing mage. DGDobrev has an example where he played using only Black Knights and casting Armageddon every turn.

alpinar
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Very nice helpfull advices..I think its gonna be a hell of a game with paladin :D..Tnx alot guys for your effort

Metathron
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Regarding Starranger's post, I just finished such a game last night. However I was loyal to Moro and he to Amelie till life/death do us part. :-P

Playing as paladin with her resurrection skill and using black knights boosted by some of the important artifacts is crazy powerful. There were only a few fights that caused me to pause and reconsider my strategy, e.g. suppression fights where gremlin towers kept casting sheep.

When I first extracted the Shard of darkness and had a relatively small number of black knights (perhaps some 80 of them) I remember thinking "Ah, so this is the KB:AP equivalent of the KB:TL Anga's Ruby + girl army". Then when I had almost 200 of them, this changed to "Okay, this strategy is definitely stronger than the one in TL" and finally at around 300 to "Grossly overpowered" :mrgreen:

Anyhow, it was a whole lot of fun and I ended up breezing through a large chunk of the game attacking everything in sight without thinking twice about it - and this was on impossible, so this should give you some idea as to just how powerful this is. However, I will not do repeat this again soon as it would get stale fast, I'm sure.

alpinar
03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
balck knigts hunting started:D

alpinar
03-09-2010, 06:10 AM
so far im lvl 16 and its going really good..i have 2 red dragons,1 black dragons,33 polar bears,22 paladins and 3 cyklops..i win most of the fights with no losses..the polar bears are really sicks especielly whe they havo stonskin and the enemy has plague on him..bbiiggg critical hits :D

alpinar
03-09-2010, 06:13 AM
lol sorry for the speling..im at work and was writing in hurry :)

alpinar
03-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Just took down driller as lvl 27 pala on hard :)..47 paladins..66 nigts,5 red dragons and 53 archmages:)..no gear that reduces psy dmg or anything ,no speldmg on boss just stoneskin and archmages shield...nights and palas where ganking driller bigtime meanwhile dragons and archmages took the ads he summmoned and damaging the boss when there was a free spot...really nice fight..bether then with the mage tbh