PDA

View Full Version : Can most maps be kited?

Metathron
02-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I used the pause/save method to lure the guard on Scarlet -- the one who actually moves when you're close -- and got a scroll instead. The other guard on the island I could not move at all.

Same thing with all three on Rusty. I got one of them, the one closest to Zag Zag and the guy who wants you to bring him units, to move a little accidentally, but when I tried to get him to repeat that I couldn't do it to save my life, trying every kind of angle. Perhaps I should add it was a beholder stack. Does it matter what kind of guard you are facing or not, e.g slow one can be kited (easily), fast one can't be kited (easily?)?

The barbarians on Bolo likewise won't budge at all.

How do folks manage to snatch maps like these? I can get them to move but the usual procedure is no good, as the enemy is basically in my face when I hit that space. I guess I'll just have to go back to clearing the first four islands before I open up Verona. :rolleyes:

MaroonMaurader
02-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Tell Amelie to move in (and remember how close you told her to), then when she's almost there tell her to move out again and immediately pause. If the guard hasn't reacted, then back up and try again going a little closer. That way you don't have to react after you see the guard go alert - you're moving away as the guard wakes up. It might help with some of the harder ones.

KongMysen
02-15-2010, 07:38 AM
I can get them to move but the usual procedure is no good, as the enemy is basically in my face when I hit that space.

If you can get them to move, they are always kiteable. Except if it's in a narrow space. (Like the Guard near the parrot on Rusty Island). Unkitable units will not move at all if you go near them. Like the one on the bridge to Montero.

Move in with the sound on. Listen to the enemy grunt, and get ready to move Amelia. If you move to soon, the guards won't move. Too late and you engage battle. Its usally around or less than 1/10 of second that determins the outcome.
Don't move her far. It helps if you zoom in, so that you can click more precisely.

If you get the guard to move at all hit space and F5. Get the guards attention once more and repeat procedure till there is room for you to slip by.

If you can only make the guard make the sound and get questionmarks on your 2nd or 3rd attempt and he is determined to return to the original position, you might consider reloading another quicksave so that you can start from the beginning.

Edit: Its really not how close you get in. Its how long you wait to move away that will determin the succes or failure.

Metathron
02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok, thanks a lot. It took a little effort but I managed to lure away the assassin stack on Rusty away from the map and got access to Dersu (was expecting Verona, but whatever). However, I'm not sure I can do the same with the other stack: it's a beholder army and beholders move notoriously fast on the adventure map. Should I even be wasting time with them? Though you did say if you get them to move they are kiteable. Hmmm...

EDIT: Okay, I was successful afterall. This time I got Tekron. Thanks a bunch! :D