PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of the battle grid

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-13-2010, 08:51 AM
By battle grid I mean the field, the shape of the hex field and the backdrop graphic, town, forest, etc. + doodads.

I've noticed some enemies have a certain battle grid assigned to them. That is, when I've made special effort to lure some enemy very far away from where he was patrolling say from the middle of a town to the middle of a deep forest, the battle still took place very distinctly in the middle of the town he was patrolling.

While some enemies will have a battle grid that changes depending on the location one fights them in, so the battle grid can be controlled by luring them to different areas.

The patrolling undead guy in the graveyard near the central town in Verona is a good example. Since undead get advantage in the graveyard it's easy to lure him out and fight in a different terrain. I seem to remember the battle grid for that unit changed depending on where he was fought. I lured him way out to the main dock of Verona just to see how far he would follow.

Even after a few runs of the game I'm still finding new battle grids I've never seen before. On Dersu, right by the Spider Boss cave, there is a path going up onto the mainland, just below where one usually sees a fountain or alter of some sort. It's a narrow stretch of land. By fighting Azzaz there I found an ideal battle grid to fight him on. It's totally unique anywhere I think. Appears to be one of the smallest battle grids in the game. It's short and narrow, only 3 spaces wide along the whole thing and only wide enough on either end to fit a group of 5. Really fun little grid to fight on, totally changes the fight dynamic. Especially for Azzaz, since he's got hella unit stacks that grid made his army extremely weak, for an enemy rated as slightly stronger he played like a very weak.

So my thinking is if one becomes proficient at knowing what areas give what battle grid and which units have a fixed grid and which change based on terrain one can lure enemies to the most idea battle location. The design of the grid and doodads on it have a dramatic effect on the battle dynamic.

One such battle was very easy but fun for the effort it took to use bottle necking and nothing but weaker summoned units and spells like trap to confuse and wear down multiple big stacks of Trolls with legions and hordes of others. My main 5 stacks did next to nothing but range attacks and support magic. It was mostly the terrain that won it.

Anyone else got some useful information, strats, tips, etc. regarding the battle grid?

Hento
02-13-2010, 12:31 PM
By fighting Azzaz there I found an ideal battle grid to fight him on. It's totally unique anywhere I think. Appears to be one of the smallest battle grids in the game. It's short and narrow, only 3 spaces wide along the whole thing and only wide enough on either end to fit a group of 5.

I was going to mention that, it would make a huge difference in many tough battles, but it seems to only happen there, you can lure like 5 enemies to that spot.

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-15-2010, 07:27 AM
It seems that some enemies have a trap absolutely associated with them. For instance no matter where I lured Uldara there was always this extremely annoying hornet nest just 1 space too close to me always in the same spot. In different locations the shape/layout of her battle grid varied but only slightly.