PDA

View Full Version : Ennemy stack

pavned
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Hello all, just wanted to share something with you all about the ennemy stacks you encounter during your play.

It appends to me last night and wanted to get feedback from you. I decided to fought an ennemy which consisted of mainly Sea Dogs (3 stacks) with 2 stack of an archer units (don't remember which). I got casualties and made stupid mistakes so I decided to restart the fight, but this time with only 4 units stacks instead of 5 (I dropped the inquisitors, they were getting poundered by the archers).

When the fight start, there were just 2 stacks of sea dogs, same total amount of units but only 2 instead of 3. Which is very much more easy for me, playing as a mage (impossible) and casting fear only on one stack instead of 2 to target the other.

So, this is my question, is there any indication as to what trigger the amount of stacks you'll encounter during a fight for particular units or was it just random? If playing only with 2 units stacks, make ennemy's armies made of 1 or 2 units into 2 big satcks I'll gladly take it thanks to fear!

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Interesting that would happen, fewer stacks on reload. Seems maybe to do with your stack adjustment. I recently played a battle where I reloaded it many times, using the same army config every time, the stacks were always identical even after maybe 10 reloads. (sure I could have come back to it when stronger but I like to try different things to see what happens and it gets to me if I can't find a solution to reduce losses to acceptable.)
I don't think I've ever seen the stacks change like what happened to you. But then I've never gone into battle with less than 5 stacks and rarely do a reload where changing the army config.

I would also like to know what game mechanic figures the stack layout.

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I started playing some battles with only 2 unit stacks for certain reasons. Xerxes in Montero dungeon has an army consisting of 14 Cyclops & 1400 Wolves. When fighting him with an army of 1 or 2 stacks of units his stacks are arranged as 2 stacks of 700 Wolves & 1 stack of 14 Cyclops. When entering the battle with 5 stacks his stacks are arranged as 4 stacks of 350 Wolves & 1 stack of Cyclops.

However another enemy group consisted of 4 different stacks of units. They always appeared as 5 separate stacks in battle, no matter if I entered with 1 stack of units or 5 stacks.

I get a pretty good feeling that when possible the stack arrangement of the enemies tries to correspond with your own arrangement.

I remember reading a post somewhere on here from a guy boasting about how easy the game was to beat no-loss on impossible and giving a few brief descriptions of how he played. He said he played many battles with just 1 or 2 stacks of units, which sounded impossible, since after all if you get 1-2 attacks per round and the enemy has like 5+ stacks getting so many attacks per round how can one survive such a gang-up. So I see now how he would be able to do so well with so few stacks. Like you said, fighting against fewer stacks grouped together made it easier.

It's like how the Griffin has an talent to split apart. That is somehow a beneficial thing. I remember the battle against some pirate guy the crown gave me a contract for. He was the one in the pirate cave on Debir on top of the hill. He had a bunch of Griffins. First he moves the Griffins up next to my army. Then he splits them all up so it looks like a very imposing scene of Griffins everywhere. It would be cool to see an enemy start a battle with like 10 large stacks of Griffins and then do the same thing, split them all up for an imposing display.

Just a side note: the same chest is there both times, just in a different location.
As a Mage with higher magic, a dual fear spell and this "invincible" hero battle is reduced to very weak.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/774/xerxes1.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9366/xerxes2.jpg

pavned
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
@WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD

thank you

so I'm not losing my mind!

I started to wipe out Rusty at level 11 with only a stack of my 2 red dragons! I got to admit that this way of playing is becoming scary easy so far! Being a Mage gives you so much options. You can cast 2 fear at start on the biggest stacks or cast poison/fire then wait the next turn for fear! Plus the fire breathing ability of the dragons is perfect for that kind of play!

But got to admit that ending a battle with no-loss against ennemies having stacks of over 1500 creatures with only 2 red dragons... there's something really satisfying!

I'm now at level 16 and there'S only 2 ennemy to kill, a pirate ship and a stack defending a navy map.

I could afford going against zag zag at level 15 with my order magic (heal spell) maxed out (damn Geyser!)!

Now I need black dragons for items leveling up tough! Cause those gremlin towers are too powerfull!